Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ADI AT-600 Help

Reviews Summary for ADI AT-600
ADI AT-600 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $250
Description: VHF/UHF 5W HT 100~199 & 400~899MHz RX&
More info: http://www.prymebattery.com/main.htm

You can write your own review of the ADI AT-600.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2009 14:11 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT NOW! }:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I wrote a review a few weeks ago & said I would have rated the ADI AT-600 a 5 of 5 if it had the CTCSS tone unit.Well after doing some checking IT DOES have the tone unit.It was just NOT tuned properly so that the tone was being heard by the repeaters.After adjusting it with a small screwdriver it now works PERFECT.The HT works VERY WELL & was even a BETTER buy now at $35 including shipping with the original box,manual,lighter charger cord,& the 1200 mah HIGH POWER battery from Batteries America included.I have since purchased a wall wart from Batteries America as well so I can keep it charged & again I am VERY HAPPY with the operation & looks of the rig.What more could I want since it does 5 watts output on BOTH 2 meters & 440 mhz with wide band DUAL receive & Cross Band Repeat at a price LESS than an OLDER single band HT.Shame they are NO LONGER made.If I find more at this price I'll buy them ALL.
I get GREAT audio reports as well. }:>) }:>)
Clayton
W4KVW

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2005 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used from a radio store in San Diego and it was my first dual band radio / HT. This radio worked for me just great and I've never ever had any probs with it. I did buy a spare battery and bought the drop in charger and a speaker/mic for it. I had my HT for six to seven years and then I upgraded to the Kenwood TH-F6A triband HT. I sold my ADI because it bacame excess to me. I got good money for it. Again a great HT and I had NO complaints at all and never had anyone tell me they couldn't understand me and my reception was just as great as the xmit was. I never had any problems with the keypad and the display was perfect.
73's and enjoy your HT....I did...Mike Dassero, NØmud

KC0GLA Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2005 11:07 Send this review to a friend
OK but not great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first radio I bought when I got licensed 5+ years ago. I did have a problem with this radio. The display suddenly went out. I sent the radio in for repair and got one back.

The second radio has worked for the last 4 years. I have replaced batteries twice now and have used this radio many times. I now found out there is a small problem with the one I got back. It pickes up cell instead of 900Mhz. It seems the frequency is 50Mhz below what it should be. Since I realy don't use it for scanning much I just left it the way it was.

I do like a few features of this radio. The first is the battery voltage in the menu. The second is removable batteries. At one time I had 2 packs and swaped them out. The other is a full keypad on the front of the radio. It also is capable of 2 or 5 watts out. I use 2 since it gives me good battery life and still has plenty of power.

I tried a different antenna but the original is the best for this radio. The other antenna caused to much rf to leak back into the radio. I also had the radio fall over from vertical and crack the bottom of the LCD. It leaked a little but quit and I have not had any problems with the display. It would of been better if the front was metal instead of plastic.

I will probaly buy a Yeasu of Kenwood radio next time since these radios are no longer available.

K1JBP Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2003 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned these for a number of years. I have three, but only one is non-operational. I bought 2 of them on Ebay, and got the third when ADI had that gift pack from HRO. I have had numbers of problems with them, but nothing to blame on the radio or the manafacture.

1) First one, the one still working has been a workhorse. Numbers all gone on pad, and the the tuning knob has broken off the circuit board. I constantly use it even thought #3 is brand new in appearance and operation.

2) Ordered second one for wife to use at work. First week I got it in, she was walking our big dog, and and when he pulled her, she fell and SMASHED the display. This one is uselesss as I can't change anything because of the broken display.

3) As I said before, #3 is operational too, but only after I had to fix it for my stuipidity. When I went to put the battery back on, I snapped one of the battery terminals in half. #2 I did the same thing to purposely and stuck that next to the broken one in #3. Use some alium. foil together, and slide the battery on. That means no changing batteries unless I fiddle with it.

ADI several years ago lost the plant where they made these. The discontinued manaufacturing anymore of them. At that time, any problem with the radio would only cost you $60. Probably don't do it anymore. So if you get one, don't spend alot. It's a throwaway radio unless you take very good care of it. But I will add, I have other HTs, and this one is the only one still operational (twice).

As a closing remark, I like the fuction to expand the radio without going into it. If you change your mind, just reset the radio, and it goes back to factory. I even have it on my website (http://members.fortunecity.com/lt41/htx204.html) because I have a bad habit of forgetting what it is.

KC2JPY Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2003 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, first of all, there is an immense lack of information on this radio on the net. It is too bad. This is the last of the big old radios with such great (and not-so-great) features as the dual volume controls and the ever-so-large battery packs hung on the bottom. It is also the most advanced.

A quick run-down of my favorite features:
1. Dual receive of two bands. (Not Same Band Dual)
2. Beautiful dot-matrix screen! The prettiest of any old radios!
3. Cross band repeat. (Works Great!)
4. Easy Frequency expansion
5. Unlike most new radios, this HT receives ALL of our 900MHz band. (Even the part now used for cellular)

People on this page tend to review it compared to radios like the Yaesu VX-5R, but it is not in that era of radios. I bought it (Due to poor bidding) off ebay for $230. That is too much for this radio since I just bought the VX-5RS for $200. But, compared to radios of the era, It is one of the best. It has good battery life, plenty of power, and very good features, like the programming software, and full duplex. Mine unfortunately has a case of UHF deafness, common to this particular radio. It renders it practically useless for low-power simplex. However, It works UHF repeaters as well as the '5R. All in all, it is a steal at $100, at $150 or $200, consider an Icom or Yaesu. As for me, I will hang onto this great HT as a backup, or so that people will think I carry a CB walkie-talkie!

Steve
KC2JPY

KB9VOW Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2002 13:20 Send this review to a friend
hard to get fixed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the adi 600 for around 2 years and the unit has been in the shop 4 times. I have contacted Premier and get the "Go get it fixed somewhere else, it is out of warranty" senario. The features on the unit are very nice and I am very pleased with every other aspect of the unit, although I am having second thoughts about buying anything else from them if I can't get it fixed.

KG4DYQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2002 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Great first time radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio a day before I got my liscense back in 99. Its a great radio with all of its features. I bought a drop-in battery charger and that made charging easy. Its been in the rain up in the mountains etc. It still worked flawlessly. If you choose this radio, make shure you get a leather case, that way it still looks great when you decide to sell it, because you WILL drop it at some point. Its like a pillow, it keeps the screen from getting scratched, buttons worn off, etc. The transmit audio is excellent on this rig. No one ever asked me to repeat what I was saying. The only major problem I had with the radio was the battery life. I was using the 2 watt Ni-Cd battery daily and I mostly listen, but If i forget to charge the battery up one night and transmit, it will go dead after a few transmissions. Its very annoying when you finally do decide to have a conversation with someone. The power button is too easy to push. One time I was in class at school and the leather case turned the radio on in my pocket! There was a morning conversation coming thru loud and clear! Also make shure you get a replacement antenna, the stock one isint too good. I sold it a year later to help get a yaesu VX-5r. The VX-5r has WAY louder recieve audio, great extended (TV, AM-FM radio) range and is MUCH smaller with a Li-Ion 5w battery that lasts almost a week without a charge! But anyway as a first time radio and at the price they are going at, if you dont mind the size of the radio, I reccomend the AT-600 for a first timer on a budget because its a little easier to operate than the VX-5r.

KC7ZLJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2001 02:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!! Beginner or Advanced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my 600 used. I always wanted one but when I got my licence they were a little spendy. I gave this radio a 5 out of 5 because of it's performance. It is very easy to program and use. I use it as a base and mobile with a mirage dual band amp. The separate volume and squelch controls are really nice to have and something radios now are getting away from. The display is laid out nice and easy to read using it as an HT. In a mobile environment as with many HT's it is difficult to discern.
ONE THING THAT NEEDS TO BE MENTIONED THAT HAS BEEN MISSING IN OTHER REVIEWS SO FAR: This radio will not dual-in-band receive. I made the mistake of assuming this when I decided to get one of these radio's. In reading of the reviews on it both here (eham) and at ARRL, that fact was never mentioned. I wish it had. knowing that I would not have bought one, I am only hanging onto it because I found out it is such a great performer and I need a radio that will cross band repeat. The dual in band is just a personal preferance and if not important to you than by all means put this radio at the top of your list! I will hang on to mine and use the heck out of it. I will, down the road get another dual band HT that will do all I want, but I will hang on to this gem of a radio.

KK5SRF Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2001 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for about 1 1/2 years. It has been a very reliable radio, and since I changed the "duckie" antenna and added a "AA" battery pack, it has been even better. I also use it as a scanner and in the extended RX range (with the new antenna), receiving in the 800MHZ band where most trunked Public Service units in larger cities are, it has performed superb!

I did have a problem with the original one I bought. It was a floor model and I got it for about $239(not bad since I had just sold my KW TH-78A which I originally paid $425 for in 1993). Without the knowledge of the store owner, the radio had a receive sensitivity problem, which degeneratied to the point of making the radio useless. I contacted the repair center and shipped the radio out. It took some time, but they replaced the radio with a "re-furb" with no complaints. The "new" radio has been flawless ever since.

I have seen reviews of problems with the belt clip bending, I have had none.

I also have the programming software for it because I do a lot of traveling and it has made things much easier when moving from city to city.

This radio is superb for the beginner, and the experienced operator. It has great features, and an easy to use format, and excellent portability and durability. I highly recommend it, even if all you can get is a "re-furb", it's worth it!

AD5CN Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2001 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Awesome feature-packed radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this HT with pre-expanded and programmed frequencies though a promotional deal $269.00. I also found an easy modification for it on qrz.com to open the receiver even more. I like the radio for its excellent receiver, ample memories, easy operation, and features. I must admit, I am more of a listener than a talker but this radio has always held up on transmit for at least 3-4 hours of HP transmitting. I bought a quick-charger, speaker-mike, cigarette lighter power adapter, and, improved antenna. The stock accessories leave much to be desired. Still, all-in-all, an awesome HT. Comparable to an FT-530 (I have one of these too).