Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet Ht-224 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet Ht-224
Comet Ht-224 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $47.00
Description: SMA HT Tri-Band Antenna 146/223/446. 29cm long
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Comet Ht-224.

K7BEN Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Great upgrade to my Icom 92AD antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even though this is a tri-band antenna I bought one for my Icom 92-AD. I wanted something that would RX/TX better than the poor stock antenna but not look like some of the ridiculous 17 Ė 20+ inch antennas that I have seen. I noticed difference immediately. Itís better on 2m and I lot better on 440. It seems like the quality issues from some of the older post have been address. Also, the antenna comes with an o-ring now. I didnít need it on the Icom 92-AD but I saw post where others were complaining about a gap.

W7MAG Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Works for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seems to work a fair bit better than the stock antenna on 2 meters, a little better on 223 and a bunch better on 440.

Yes, I would recommend this to a friend if they felt compelled to replace the stock antenna.

AA8X Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2011 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna & outstanding support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Comet HT-224 has proven to be an excellent replacement for the stock Kenwood F6a antenna. It performed very well on all 3 bands and the slim flexible radiating element is a real plus. Yes, I had a problem and attempted to fix the antenna myself but ruined the coils. I called Comet and spoke with Mike Stwertnik. He did not hesitate to make things right even though the major problem was created by me. Now this is a company that manufactures great amateur accessories and goes the extra mile to stand by their products. I would highly recommend NCG Company as they have outstanding products, support and service. You wonít be disappointed with the HT-224.

W8STU Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2011 14:07 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTTENNA FOR THE PRICE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Greetings,

I have had this antenna for over two years. It works great!!! I first used it on my Kenwood TH-F6A. I have since purchased a Diamond SRH320A for that HT and now use the HT-224 on my Yaesu VX-6R... It works great. You cannot go wrong with this antenna. I would highly recommend this antenna to new Hams and Elmer's alike. Thanks in advance. 73, Stu de W8STU

KB1OQA Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2007 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Vastly Improved Reception with this Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this antenna for a short time, but have noted a great improvement over the stock antenna supplied with my Yaesu FT-60R HT since its installation. I'm able to receive and transmit on repeater sites twenty plus miles from my location. I would consider this a worthwile purchase. Mention has been made in prior postings of a gap between the antenna base and the radio unit. I was able to resolve this by placing an O-Ring over the mounting stud. When the antenna is installed, the gap is closed and appearance is improved.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2006 11:36 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading over the reviews, it is hard to believe that we are all reviewing the same antenna. Nonetheless, here is my review.

Simply put, this antenna increases the performance of my Kenwood TH-F6. Luckily, many of the repeaters in my area have the capability of giving an HT user an actual signal report (as received by the repeater). With the Comet antenna, the repeaters report an average increase of 2 S units. In my opinion, this takes out any personal bias. I am simply reporting that the local repeaters receive a stronger signal from my HT, when the Comet antenna is in use.

For me, $45 is a cheap price to pay for 2 S units!

W6HBD Rating: 1/5 Jun 12, 2006 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Can't get out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read mixed reviews about this antenna. I've had a Kenwood TH-F6 for quite a while, but the stock antenna doesn't preform very well on 220. I went ahead and bought this antenna from Universal-Radio. When it came, I put it on inside and tried to bring up some 70cm repeaters located on a nearby mountain. I couldn't get in at all. I went outside and tried the same thing, on all bands, and I wasn't able to get into anything. If I held it up high enough, I was able to key up the repeater. I listened on my Uniden BCD 396T to the repeater I was trying to get into and it was all static.

I'm not sure if I got a bad antenna or what, but it didn't work out for me.

KD1ZD Rating: 3/5 Apr 25, 2006 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Good performance but flimsy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works great for all the bands 144/220/440 that it was designed for. I have had very good performance with it.

My two year old got ahold of my radio when I wasn't looking, and then I noticed it had the "obscene bend" in it. I tried to bend it back, but it feels like something has broken.

The antenna is still performing the same, but I'm nervous now and will probably keep it around as a spare or in my briefcase going to work.

KD5WPX Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2005 12:35 Send this review to a friend
So far very good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had mine on my F6A for about a month and the performance has been GREAT! On both 2 and 440 I can talk from what were "dead spots" with the radio & antenna I had before. This is my first experience on 222 but it seems to work well there too. Be aware that there are two versions: mine has a "seperate" gold SMA connector at the bottom. I've also seen them with the SMA enclosed in the bottom of the plastic "load". It seems to me that mine would be the more fragile version and I take it off the radio two or three times daily (the radio travels in my briefcase). I've been careful with it because it does have a little "float" until the connector is snugged up. So far no problems and I'm fond enough of the performance that if it breaks I'll replace it with another ht-224.

73s - Bob

W7MJR Rating: 2/5 Nov 15, 2004 20:31 Send this review to a friend
More signal, less durability  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wish mine just developed an "obscene bend" rather than breaking off entirely. The signal improved with this antenna, but it isn't as durable as the stock antenna. My HT-224 survived about 12 months of pretty ordinary abuse.