Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit HA-14 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HA-14
Heathkit HA-14 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.95 & Abt $60.00 P.S.
Description: Heathkit HA-14 SSB Mobile Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.qsl.net/w6ovp/

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HA-14.

KH6VP Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 04:41 Send this review to a friend
What a gem!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have many linears but I really like this one the best! I bought this a year ago, but only yesterday managed to make a cable and connect it to the PS.

What a gem! no noise, easy 600Watts out, two perfect 572B tubes, and so lightweight! OK, it doesn't have a load control (so you need a 50-80oahm antenna), but then that's what tuners are for!

And the tubes (mounted horizontally) are held in place by clamps to ensure they don't come off!

I had to replace the capacitors (with much smaller and better ones) and that was it!

Heathkit was way advanced back then. Now am looking for a HP-14 to run it mobile.

And I bow to the engineers who designed it (in case any of them is reading this!)

KG7D Rating: 4/5 Feb 29, 2008 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Like a John Deere Tractor, just keeps working, its green too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these, bought one for a backup in case the other one failed, but it has never failed. I use it mobile with a TS-50S and a Webster bandspanner antenna, Small package, easy one knob tuning, doesn't build up too much heat even though there is no fan, could use a fan for long QSO's, no fan means quiet, 500 watts all bands,80 40 20 15, 400 watts on 10, input tuning good for solid state transcievers, Heath Engineers of the 60's were ahead of there game on this one.

W7MY Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2006 18:31 Send this review to a friend
I modified one for 6 meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thanks to EBay I bought a second HA-14 about a year ago. Just for fun I thought I'd try to modify it to 6 meters. It took a bit of work but its worth it. My modification works great; I get 500 watts out with 60 watts of drive. I really like having an amp that is instant warmup; one flick of the power switch and I get my 500 watts in seconds.

N6MYA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2006 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great little amp!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amplifier used, over one year ago complete with used tubes and it has never let me down! Puts out 500 watts and does it quietly. The only modifications i have made to it so far is to replace the on off switch, replace the RCA input jack with a chassis mount BNC, mount two Pentium style 12 VDC fans to the back with nylon stand-offs, and mount a bail type stand to the bottom to tilt it up. I made a "soft key" interface to connect it to my Ten Tec Jupiter and i have the soft start module from Harbach that i have not yet installed. After a lengthy telephone conversation, it was determined that the soft-key module from Harbach will not directly interface with the power supply, hence the roll-your-own type of interface. I forgot to mention that the amplifier had the parasitic kit installed before i purchased it. I am completely pleased with the performance of this unit.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2005 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Compact Amp - Great Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HA-14 wasn't made to be a high end amp. It was made primarily to satisfy the need for mobile power with the option of using it in a fixed shack. I've owned 2 of these amps and think for the price, they are great. I don't know why people chop up something because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. If you want all the bells and whistles, then buy something with them. Don't buy a lower priced item and then complain that it doesn't have the additional features of the more expensive items. I've seen it all after over 42 years as a ham.

I just retired a little early due to medical reasons. I began my career in 1968 as a broadcast engineer and retired from the local ABC affiliate TV station. In my years, I've worked on a lot of transmitters and high power amplifiers. The HA-14 is sweet and I intend on using my HA-14 a lot in retirement.

W7MY Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2005 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for about six years and have had no problems at all. I have an AL-1200 as well but like the HA14 because I can band change in just seconds, have a zero time warmup, and totally quiet power. I refer to it as my quick 6 (DB) amplifier. Its only on rare occations I really need the additional 6 DB of my other amp. I also have a Radioshack small muffan fan on top of the amp. I put a voltage doubler on the 6.3 vac internally and added a phono jack for the fan.

WIRELESS Rating: 2/5 Oct 24, 2004 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Crude  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know how others came up with 5's for this amp. It has no load control (fixed loading), it has a power supply that puts out only 2000 volts allowing only 450 - 500 watts out, no forced air cooling, typical Heath low duty cycle (cheap)components, poor metering, ugly green color, poor fit and finish. If I was in the market for a small 600 watt amp I would buy a solid state unit before messing with this Heath Junk design.

K0VH Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2004 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Heath "mobile" KW a good deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a used Heath HA-14 mobile KW with AC supply from a friend who had got it at an estate sale. While I have been playing with QRP the past few months (recently getting an ICOM 703), going QRO seems a bit illogical ... but is it during declining sunspots and for cold weather wintertime operating when the QRP rig is retired to indoor CW/PSK use? Anyway, I had almost purchased a used Ameritron AL80B earlier in the summer but buying both that and a QRP rig exceeded the yearly HR budget. I had used both SB200s and 220s in the past so I was somewhat familiar with the old Heath gear; when I got my ticket in the mid 60s my first novice setup was all Heath too.

The HA-14 was only made for a few years in the late 60s and is simply a two part SB200 using the twin 572-B tube combination. My particular unit is pretty much "stock" other than a former owner added a 2A and 3KW DC plate metering on the AC power supply, which feeds a separate high voltage line to the small RF deck. I had to rig up a TR switching relay as it uses -120VDC and my ICOM 746 and most modern solid state transcievers can only switch 12-20 VDC (note Harbach electronics makes a solid state switching kit for the SB220 which I assume would work here and I may adapt to that in the future). I won't do a thorough technical review here other than to say this KW support the 5 bands 80-10 meters and a simplified tuning proceedure to just do a peak MAX output vs standard dip/load of other KWs. A big negative for some would be it's only speced for SSB *NOT* CW like the SB200 or 220. There is no cooling fan and after one short 20m QSO without running a fan, I am running temporarily a muffin fan on the unit (so another possible mod: looking for a smaller fan to add to rear that can be powered by voltages in the unit).
Using a temporary key down, I can get 450-550 watts out of the unit and I suspect with new tubes it would provide 600+. A pair of 572-B tubes are $90 at Taylor tubes and I hear buy the US version, not imports for horizontal mounts like this.

NET: so why a 5 vs a 4 rating? It does what I need - - a SSB medium power KW that did not cost an arm & a leg and fits compact on the desktop. Heath did not make many of these so finding one is rare, but if you can get one for $200-400 depending on tube condition go for it! It will suffice until I maybe find my "dream" unit: a stealer price on one of the Icom solid state KWs (IC2K etc).

K6DXX Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2004 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked the amp up second hand at a flea market. I have used it on several Dx'peditions to the Pacific and it "just keeps ticking". It's gone thru 2 CQ World Wide DX Contests without missing a beat. I'm currently using it in my home station whilr i repair my SB-220. If you can find an HA-14 gobble it up!

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2002 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Love it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little amp is essentially a sb200 separated into 2 cabinets. The rf section is so small it matches the new xcvrs with its tiny size. The tubes are dirt cheap and it is a quiet amp...it has no fan. For ssb, no fan has never been a problem but for cw an external fan is a good idea. I can't see why someone couldn't manufacture one of these amps for a decent price today. In the 60's these amps cost $99. I wish I bought 10 of these then. Get one in good shape and it should last forever. It doesn't really use any parts you can't scrounge up if something dies. You can get just the rf deck for as little as $150, and use your own ps.