Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet CA-2x4SR Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CA-2x4SR
Comet  CA-2x4SR Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.00
Description: CA-2x4SR VHF/UHF Dual Band Antenna 1.5:1 or less SWR: 140-160/435-465MHz Gain: 3.8/6.2dBi Max Power: 150 watts Length: 40 inches Connector: PL-259 Fold-over hinge included
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Comet CA-2x4SR.

K7DB Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Three years later -- still working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is just an update on my 7/31/2013 review... in 2013 I was using this antenna with a Wouxun dual-band handheld radio, and with this Comet antenna I got excellent results

It's three years later, and this antenna still works great. It's on a different vehicle now, and I'm usually using it with my Yaesu FT-857D.

Bottom line: this is a great antenna that is put together well, and can be expected to deliver years of service.

W8ARR Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna from Universal Radio to complement a Juentai JT-6188. The main reason I bought it was the advertised gain on 2 meters. I needed to hit a certain repeater that hosted the local traffic net. The previous setup I had would not hit the repeater from my grand kids house. Seeing that the Juentai had an RF output of 20 watts I needed a good antenna.
The Comet CA-2x4SR antenna met my demanding requirements with ease. I was able to log into the traffic net with no issues, full quieting with no static or scratching. I recommend this antenna to other hams in my local area and I recommend it to you.

KA5IJZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2016 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Astounding mag mount  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Signals come in from almost everywhere on 2m and 70cm, signals never heard before on my Tram 1185 dual band mag mount. With even just the 10 watt mobile rig that I use, signal reports always amaze me from some pretty far points. Best money every spent on a dual band mag mount. I purchased the pl259/so239 mag base model and quite satisfied. Very recommended dual band mobile antenna.

W9DPY Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2015 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Ham, Great General Coverage Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this antenna just over a year. I run all NMO mount variants of Comet, Diamond and Larsen antennas for mobile applications. Used to use a Diamond K400CNMO mount but bought a Comet CP-5NMO with this antenna. Construction is great, no flaking of the paint or breakage anywhere including the fold-over. This is in central Texas where the weather is challenging to say the least. Performance wise, it's a very good 2 M/440 antenna and a great general coverage antenna. This is compared to a Diamond SG7500NMO I own. The Diamond performed better on the ham bands but is no where near as broad banded as the Comet. As an FYI; the Comet performs better in both roles as my Larsen 270 and my Diamond NR770HNMO. If you are looking at ham band only performance, there are slightly better performing antennas but the Comet really shines on it's ability to cover both ham bands and as an Rx antenna for scanning, public service work, etc...

KC4YLV Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2015 07:55 Send this review to a friend
A nice dual bander, great for scanners too  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked this up for $3 at a hamfest, guy said "coil's broken". Outer housing was cracked; 2-part epoxy made short work of that. Had to resolder the tap where the capacitor connects to the coil in the base as it'd gone bad. After I did this and shined up all the connections, giving great performance as expected. SWR doesnt really bottom out anywhere but it has ridiculously wide 1.5 and 2.0 SWR bandwidth, just megahertz after megahertz of nice 1.3:1 match.

I run mine fixed, with a homebrew mount and four radials angled down about 60 degrees (had to bend them down a bit more than normal for best match). Splendid thing to hang one of the swiss army knife dual banders off of, or if you want to scan 460 public service. Not too shabby at 800 rx either, though I don't have real test gear beyond scanners for up there.

Considering it was probably 10-15 years old when I paid THREE DOLLARS for it and spent 20 minutes fixing it up, very impressed. Would strongly consider buying a new one if I needed to.

W5BXY Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2015 12:24 Send this review to a friend
The best I've found!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna to replace a Larsen NMO150c (2 meter) which I have had mounted on my pickup tool box for a year. I constantly had problems with the Larsen mount shorting at the coax input point after repeated repairs to it. I installed the Comet CA-2x4SR (Dual band) and absolutely love it. No problems, the coax input is sealed and fits perfectly, SWR readings across the band good right out of the box,well made and excellent receive and transmit functions. I intend to buy another for my car. I give it a 5 in all areas.

N7EWC Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2015 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile addition!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio is only as good as the antenna system connected to it...I have had my comet 2x4 for 3 years now and have put several thousand miles on it! Norfolk to Georgia almost every month. The finish is just like when I bought it at the Winterfest in Richmond. Two winters in Norfolk and one in North Eastern Georgia, definately an tough antenna. Ive even wacked it coming in the garage too early several times, still works like a champ... Ive never see what the radiation pattern on this is but I can imagine it to be flat on top and long all around. Ive never had any luck picking up fly by SATs but can break through to repeaters 40 miles away and receive them even further. If for some reason if I had to buy another one id buy the same exact one.

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2014 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased one at Dayton. Installed on my vehicle and all I can say is WOW! With my HT, I can get into most of my local (10-40 miles) area repeaters full quieting with 5 watts or less. More distant (40+ miles) repeaters are reached easily with more power from the mobile unit. Great bandwidth and low vswr as advertised. The spring option is a must for tree limbs. I will be buying more of these antennas.

KE5CVT Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2014 06:52 Send this review to a friend
GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just bought my third 2X4SR. 1:1 SWR in the ham bands and <1.2:1 in the adjacent VHF/UHF Land mobile bands. Excellent performer. If you need an antenna for occasional emergency operation outside the ham bands for S&R, Public Safety, etc, THIS is THE antenna! Without a spring or other strain relief, it WILL NOT endure a solid hit from a tree limb or other such object. The ONLY con is the durability at the base of the antenna otherwise I would give it a 5/5.

W4FSA Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Spring Mod  Time owned: more than 12 months
At the Orlando Hamcation I was suprised to see the Spring Modification now avilable from Comet for the 2x4SR. MN# CA-SPR. I bought 2 and have installed both, one on the F-150 with goliath mag mount, the other in the go kit. Makes a big difference when SAR in low foliage areas. No noticable effect on tuning and still talks and receives with the best. Makes one fine antenna even better.