Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet CA-2x4SR Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CA-2x4SR
Comet  CA-2x4SR Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.00
Description: CA-2x4SR VHF/UHF Dual Band Antenna 1.5:1 or less SWR: 140-160/435-465MHz Gain: 3.8/6.2dBi Max Power: 150 watts Length: 40 inches Connector: PL-259 Fold-over hinge included
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Comet CA-2x4SR.

KE5CVT Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2014 06:52 Send this review to a friend
GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just bought my third 2X4SR. 1:1 SWR in the ham bands and <1.2:1 in the adjacent VHF/UHF Land mobile bands. Excellent performer. If you need an antenna for occasional emergency operation outside the ham bands for S&R, Public Safety, etc, THIS is THE antenna! Without a spring or other strain relief, it WILL NOT endure a solid hit from a tree limb or other such object. The ONLY con is the durability at the base of the antenna otherwise I would give it a 5/5.

W4FSA Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Spring Mod  Time owned: more than 12 months
At the Orlando Hamcation I was suprised to see the Spring Modification now avilable from Comet for the 2x4SR. MN# CA-SPR. I bought 2 and have installed both, one on the F-150 with goliath mag mount, the other in the go kit. Makes a big difference when SAR in low foliage areas. No noticable effect on tuning and still talks and receives with the best. Makes one fine antenna even better.

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 May 27, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second post about this antenna. The first one was 3 years ago when I had owned/used it for 2 or 3 years. It's still working, still does as well as it ever did, and I haven't managed to break the thing yet (that's a recommendation all by it's self!).
I've used several other types/brands of antennas in that 6 year period and have always come back to the CA-2x4SR. It's used almost daily on bands other than 2m and 70cm, does well there too.
The 'Cons'... It is not suited to everyone's use. It can cause problems if you 'hit' things, it isn't very 'limber'. They don't give the thing away for free, rats! It isn't made in 'designer' colors. Remember to tighten the set-screws occasionally, at least check them.
The 'Pros'... It does what is claimed for it considering the number of ways it can be mounted and used.
- Paul

(I don't give anything a 'max' rating. This thing comes close though.)

AE8MM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Just great.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wide banded so good for most of the commercial band as well as the ham band. Sub 2.0 SWR from 140-165ish, haven't tested in UHF band however.

Now for the oddest benefit, no wind noise. My previous mobile dual-band antenna would make a whistle at highway speed, this one is silent.

KD8SFE Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Beefy antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like this for a number of reasons. When compared to my Larsen NMO150 this thing wins Rx & Tx. I've smacked trees and garage doors and said "oh no!" but she's doing just fine on her side. Good out of band coverage for monitoring. It's 10" shorter than the Larsen. Sorry, I don't use UHF so I can't rate it. I got it just because it's such a good VHF antenna.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2013 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too bought this antenna based on the reviews from here and to install on my F-150 with a fender L bracket. I've used Larsen, Diamond and a couple of other Comet antennas; but I never seemed to get a decent compromise with a wide enough band coverage and an acceptable VSWR. Well that was till I received my Comet CA2X4SR, I immediately hooked it up to the analyzer and the VSWR was good all across the amateur bands both 2 meters and 70 cm and it was even good all the way down to 140 MHz, but started to drop off about 160 MHz. On 70 cm it was a bit on the high side by the time I went up to 460 and this is a bit of a concern, but something I can live with. Just the same I will run the antenna as it doesn't seem to affect the performance in the amateur 70 cm band at all. In fact it out preforms my old Larsen and an old Sinclair dual band. So far I'm impressed with it and will see how it weathers the winter.

N2ICV Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 07:48 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST DUAL BAND MOBILE ANTENNA YOU WILL EVER BUY!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I went and got this antenna after reading the reviews here, 1st I put on my 96 jeep with a IC-2820H , it worked good. But then I put it on my 96 KW T-800 with my ID-880H. WOW

I use UHF most of the time, and all I can say this antenna beats out the Diamond Antenna NR770HB hands down! It performs and brings in repeaters that were otherwise out of range , and gets into to repeaters I couldn't even hit before.

I use it on Vhf TX on Ham, MURS,and listen to the public safety and railroad frequencies. Uhf TX on Ham, GMRS, FRS, and listen to public safety .
I think I'm go to try it on 222Mhz when my TYT TH-9000 get in.

Thanks to E-Ham and all the hams that make this site so GREAT!!
Mike N2ICV / WQOG646

K6ESS Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great replacement for my previous Larson NMO2/70B antenna. I can hear distant repeaters better than before, and although I haven't measured the SWR, my IC-2720H shows it can put full power into the antenna without backing off for SWR protection. Very solid antenna, doesn't bend in the wind very much. It screwed right on my Larson trunk-lid edge mount, but on the hood of my truck. I'm happy with it!

KK4NQL Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed it to the side of my truck box on my F350. Works better than expected. Well made, durable, and about 1.3 swrs. I can hit distant repeaters no problem and the simplex distance exceeded my expectations. Thumbs up!

KD3RA Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2012 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna But!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this antenna on my Mitsubishi Lancer. Using a new Ft-2900 this is the flattest SWR/Bandwidth antenna I have ever measured on 2 meters. So why only 3 stars? The weight. When used on smaller new cars with thinner sheet metal roofs this antenna is way too heavy. It's very stiff and distorts my roof quite a bit when I press in the whip. I'm also concerened about the large open coil in the middle. It would be very easy for a small branch to becomes stuck. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the electrical performance it received and transmits very well. However I'm returning the antenna and going to a Larsen 2/70B that has a coil closer to the base and a much thinner whip.

73's