Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Decibel DB-224 Series Help

Reviews Summary for Decibel DB-224 Series
Decibel DB-224 Series Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Four Bay Folded Dipole Array - Manufactured by Decibel Products mainly as a commercial antenna but can be ordered for the 2 Meter and 220 MHz amateur bands.
More info: http://www.decibelproducts.com

You can write your own review of the Decibel DB-224 Series.

KD5FX Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2006 10:39 Send this review to a friend
The GOLD standard!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our club here in Northern Okla. has had TWO of these in the air for 20+ years. One for each repeater about 7 miles apart. They have gone through many storms with no problems.
After over 20 yrs we had to replace the wiring harness. That was also after many hail and ice storms and there might have been a few rifle shots too.

VA3GRU Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2005 03:50 Send this review to a friend
"Just won't die" type workhorse...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine from a bunch of tower site junk someone dropped off at the local scrap yard. I went there looking for a mast and the guy showed me what he had in mind. So, of course, I took it home. The top and bottom element were bent pretty badly, but some light heat from a plumbing torch and some patience, straightened it right up. I took all of the little stainless screws off of where the elements are fed, took some steelwool and cleaned up all of the connections, siliconed them and installed a new N connector, and it blew the doors off of any vhf antenna I had ever owned! It gave my yagi a good run for it's money without the need for rotation! Wind, lightning, weather of all kinds [I live in Central Ontario's "Snow Belt!"] and moving locations a couple of times and it's still going strong! A real rugged workhorse for free. I would never have bought one new because of it's price new, but 10 years later, I sure am glad I found it!

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2004 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Simply amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot say for certain my antenna is made by Decibel products, but it is the same style four-element folded dipole. My best guess is this antenna was at least 30 years old when I latched onto it. It was on a tower originally used by a petroleum company that went out of business. When the tower fell over, the current owner of the building let me have the antenna just for getting it off his hands. Picture my mini van with this monster lashed to the luggage rack !!! The top element was bent slightly, but the antenna was otherwise intact despite the 80 foot fall. The dipole elements were modified for 2 meters per KC4FWC's instructions. Thanks Derek. I drilled and tapped the top and bottom of each element (they're solid aluminum!) and screwed in a short section of aluminum rod. SWR dropped from a low of 1.7 to a new low of 1.3. Top reading went from 2.2 to 1.5. The standoffs for the HBX 48 tower were designed by my father, KC9BGK, and are heavy duty. The top of this antenna is now at 45 feet...not very high but I'm amazed at the way this antenna performs. The first evening I had a station located 40 miles away come back to my cq on 146.52 and tell me he lives in a valley and never heard a signal so loud! I'm hearing simplex mobiles out 60 miles and farther. What a blast for a little bit of nothing!

KB5ZVV Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2002 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Quality Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been in the two-way radio business for about 24 years, and this is the standard antenna we sell for VHF base/repeater service. It is somewhat expensive for most people to purchase, but you can put it on the tower and forget it. I just replaced one for the local ham club that had been up at 460 feet for 20 years, and it was in pretty bad shape (cracked aluminum tubing on the radiator loops). The current production units have an updated design that should prevent this. The later production units have a molded enclosure on the terminations of the harness where it connects to the radiator loops to enhance the weatherproofing. You can also re-orient the loops on the main pipe to alter the radiation pattern. This antenna can take much more lightning than the fiberglass enclosed antennas that have very lightweight internal conductors.

KC4FWC Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2002 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Top of the Line  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DB-224 is a heavy duty VHF antenna which is approximately 22 feet tall (2 meter band) or 18 feet for 220 MHz. It is made out of all aluminum, very heavy (30 pounds) and can mount to the top or side of a tower. It has four folded dipole elements around the mast. Lightning simply can not harm the antenna mast. The gain is a TRUE 6.0 dBd (unlike Comet or Diamond's claims) and is simply the best for serious repeater duty. It costs quite a bit, but the lifetime is 30 years PLUS! They can be ordered from a commercial two way shop for 138-150 MHz or 220-225 MHz. Consider this if you're serious about a reliable repeater/base.