Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH999 Quad Band HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH999 Quad Band HT Antenna
Diamond SRH999 Quad Band HT Antenna Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: Quad Band HT Antenna, 50/144/430/1200 MHz, SMA connector, 19.5" length, flexible. 2.15 dB gain on 70cm and 5.5 dB on 23cm. 1/4 wave 6 and 2 meters. For quad band HTs such as Icom IC-T81

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH999 Quad Band HT Antenna.

G0LGB Rating: 2/5 Jun 7, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
OK at 70cms Do not use Lower though  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an expensive antenna from a quality manufacturer and should be a lot better than this!

I put my analyser on it to see why it was so bad at 50mhz and 145mhz, here's what I discovered
On 6m (50mhz) the swr on the UK calling freq of 51.51mhz was 7.2:1...not exactly a good match, it dropped down to a much more acceptable 2.5:1 though if you went right out of band up to 56mhz!!

So 7:1 explains why so bad on 6m.

On 2m it was a similar story, on the UK calling frequency of 145.500mhz it was off the scale at 9.9 to 1 and again didn't drop to an acceptable 2:1 until you were way out of band up at 190mhz!

So again 9.9 explains why so bad on 2m!

On 70cms things were actually pretty good with respectable swr of 1.5:1 at 435mhz

Sadly my analyser doesn't cover 23cms but I can access my local repeater fine with it and get almost identical reading to the stock antenna, so i'd say it is probably fine up there.

I certainly wouldn't want to use my expensive rig on any antenna that reads 7:1 on 50mhz or 9.9 on 145mhz though, and this is far too expensive, and too large to use just for 70cms and 23cms.

Overall a poor antenna on all but UHF and 23cms

PE1RLN Rating: 0/5 Mar 10, 2011 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Very bad thing  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna was meant for 6m, 2m and 70cm. It does none of these. Bad vSWR on all bands. What was Diamond thinking?

Also the construction is bad. Those heavy coils make it more like an S&M whip than a HAM whip.

Don't buy it, the SRH-940 is WAY better than this one. Forget about this one.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 13:49 Send this review to a friend
I LOVE this antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is definitely the best stock replacement antenna I've ever owned. I specifically bought the Diamond SRH320A for my 1.25 M radio, because it's supposed to have been built for 1.25. However, I found out quickly that not only does the 999 way out-perform the 320A on 1.25 M, it does the same for all the other bands it was built for, as well. This is especially true of 2 M and 70 CM. I compared this antenna (and several other lesser Diamond "duck" replacement antennas) to some j-poles I had either built or bought and found out that it even out-performed those by a pretty good margin. So whatever Diamond did with this antenna, they outdid themselves.

The only drawback that prevents me from getting one for all my radios (including all my single, dual, tri, and quad banders) is the price. $60 is pretty high. For two of these antennas I could buy a new HT. So they're not cheap. I suppose it's worth it, though; I just need a bit of time to save up to get some of these pups.

I'd recommend these to anyone. I suppose, as one reviewer mentioned, he prefers another Diamond model, but I've not had the experience of using that one at this point and can only compare it to the SRH320A and the SRH77CA, which are also good, but which I would replace with the 999 in a heartbeat.

M0MGH Rating: 2/5 Jan 22, 2010 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Not that impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this for my DJ-G7 as it appeared to be the only whip with sma m that covers these bands. I also have the SRH940 and in comparison, its performance is not that special. Maybe it is trying to do too much in one package. Checking with my MFJ analyser for both antennas: On 6m it was resonant at 52.7MHz (940: 50.8). At 2m it was resonant at 170MHz (940: 145MHz)! At 70cm it was resonant at 419MHz (940: 420 to 460)!! These differences make an audible difference when using for marginal repeater operation so if 1.2G is not important then stay with the 940. Maybe I just got a bad one. I note that Diamond don't show this as a product any more on their webpages, but they did say to me that they plan to make this available again in Feb 2010. Hmm, is that a good idea?
(Note, one of the best 2m whips I have used in the Moonraker MRW210 which also gives 70cm performance too.)

KB3PXR Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2008 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Great for VX-7R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pros: Full 1/4 wave on 2 meters (counterpoise is radio/body capacitance) 1/2 wave on 440. Flexible

Cons: Don't use the included gasket (from Diamond) on a VX-7R. I just figured out today that there is a small air gap in the connection if you do this. This issue appears as an unexplained intermittent.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2006 11:16 Send this review to a friend
great performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use one for my VX7-RB and the TH-F7E and it works excellent. I am able to hit most repeaters and even reception on HF is quite ok with it. Very flexible, almost unbreakable design. Only bad issue: 55 Euro is to much

IZ2KWL Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2006 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Great but expencive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
V/hf great performce.
PROS: RF gain, weight, sma/bnc adapter included
CONS:price (90usd in Italy, june 2006), too flexy

N7MSD Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2002 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Great on the upper bands, mediocre on the lower  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my SRH-999 today from HRO and was eager
to test it. The results are a mixed bag.

First, there's hardly any activity here on 6m and
23cm, so I didn't have a chance to test much on
those bands.

On 2m, I tested with 2 people on 2 different
repeaters. There's no doubt about it: the
performance on this band is equal to the stock
duck, maybe a hair less even! I believe I can
explain this by the fact that the sleeve says it's
a 1/4 wave on 6m and 2m. Since a 1/4 wave
requires a ground plane or at least a counter-
poise and there obviously isn't one, this would
be a major problem.

70cm is a whole different story. The performance
improvement is DRAMATIC! The sleeve says it's a
1/2 wave on this band, so that would explain it.

One other thing I should mention is that it has
been noted many times, and I've seen, how narrow-
banded the stock duck is on a T81. Not this
antenna! NOAA weather radio comes in beautifully
with this duck, unlike with the stock duck that
can barely pick it up. Unfortunately, this is a
mixed bag as I am now getting intermod IN MY
APARTMENT on this duck! Oh well...but if you
like to do scanning, this duck will work great
for you.

Also don't forget that this is a LONG duck,
measuring out at 20 inches or half a meter! So
don't be using it in confined areas.

Bottom line is that if you need top quality
performance on 2m, you'll still need to get a
1/2 wave telescoping antenna. But if you can
live with stock duck performance on the lower
bands and especially if you like to do scanning
with your radio, then this is your antenna. Just
bear in mind the price is a bit steep, but then
what do you expect of a quad band duck, right?

Mike N7MSD
Reno, Nevada

WOUFF_HONG Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2002 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great noiseless reception on both xmit and
receive. I operate alot with low power with
the alkeline battery pack usually on the
lowest power about 100 mw and only increase
power or change to a rechargable battery
pack when my signal doesn't make the trip
on low power.The Diamond really does the trick,
the stock antenna can't even come close to
really good performance like the Diamond.

KG4OZL Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2002 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quad Band antenna brings IC-T81A to life!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond SRH999 is an engineering marvel designed to accomodate the 6M/2M/70cm/23cm abilities of the Icom IC-T81A. By utilizing an SMA connector, it is a direct fit to the T81 so no adapters are necessary. Simply put, the performance gain on all bands compared to the T81's factory antenna is shocking! I recently compared a factory equipped T81A to one with this antenna, side by side (I own two T81As) on a distant 70cm repeater. Side by side, the stock antenna managed 1-3 on the S-Meter, while the radio with the SRH999 read full scale. My only gripe with this antenna is its length (19.5") However, it is thin and flexible, and manages not to poke me in the ribs when the HT is clipped to my belt (unlike the rigid Icom antenna!) But hey, the length gets you 1/4 wave at 6 and 2 meters, 2.15 dB gain on 70cm and an impressive 5.5dB on 23cm. Despite the SRH999's huge length, you will seldom want to reattach the stocker once you see how good this thing really is! The antenna also features wide band receive, and is excellent at that task as well (the T81's stock antenna is practically useless for RX outside of the ham bands.) I did not know the MSRP of this antenna, but I managed to find mine for $59.99. While this is sort of pricey for a typical HT antenna, just remember - this is no typical antenna. If you own a quad band HT, buy this antenna now! You'll be glad you did.