Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-580T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-580T
Alinco DJ-580T Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $389.00
Description: 2m/70cm HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-580T.

G0WFV Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2015 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Stalwart radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First QSO in 1994 with a DJ-580.

Bought one at a rally 5 or 6 years later for about £50.

It needed frequency realignment which I did myself, and managed to snag a CTCSS board from the states (shipping cost more than the board!)

Did me good for a number of years until the NiCad pack finally died and it was resigned to the bottom drawer.

Recently (quite a few years later!) pulled it out of the drawer and decided to replace the cells in the battery pack - easy job, hardest part was cracking the pack open! Total cost - about £12 for the cells and a little bit of patience!

The radio must be 20+ years old now, and is still as good as any other newer radio I own!

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved 14 years ago and packed up most of my ham gear. Recently, I finally unpacked everything and found my old 580. Turned it on and used it for monitoring a repeater for about an hour before the battery died. Battery charged back up just fine and I am using it again.

I don't remember when I bought it but it must be close to 20 years ago. It still works just fine although it was never used hard. It gets damn hot if you are long winded but it's built like a tank. I did the extended mod the day I received it with instructions from the dealer. Yep, she used to tune analog cell phones.

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2008 13:34 Send this review to a friend
DJ-582  Time owned: more than 12 months
Didn't see a thread for the DJ-582, so I'll put my review here. I don't know what the difference is between the 580T and 582, but mine says 582. Anyway, I bought mine new in 1996 at the Sioux City hamfest at the Marina Inn in South Sioux City, NE from a dealer there from Minnesota. Hours and hours of community service bike rides and 2M nets and packet BBSing (anybody do that anymore?!) when I was in Nebraska and it just kept running and running, never a failure or a minutes trouble. Been dropped, still works. Was at the top of a 40' tower out in Nebraska and it popped off my belt, fell to the ground, landed on concrete and NOT EVEN A SCRATCH! It does comsume alot of battery juice so I ended up getting the bigger batteries shortly after I got it. Since coming back to NC in 1998 it hasn't been used much, sat in a box for over 6 years, pulled it out, charged the batteries and runs like it did in it's "salad" days! There's better and fancier on the market nowadays, but for a good soild dual band HT (both band simultaneous, not one at a time) this rig would be hard to beat. A good clean used one would be desireable if you're in the market.

N0ZGO Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2008 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Good little HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning this HT since '93, I can honestly say it's been a pleasure to use. I disassembled the radio and replaced the BNC connector at the top with a SMA PCB-mount connector which was cemented in place with JB Weld. Minor wear on the numeric keypad printing, but what can you expect for 15 years? The top half of my PTT button doesn't work, but the bottom "ridged" area still does. I'd guess this is due to dust/dirt on the printed switch contacts.

CX6AV Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2007 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Bad construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fue el primer y ultimo Alinco que tuve....me trajo de Nueva York uno mi madre comprado nuevo apenas salió lo pagué caro,y a la semana de uso comenzó a borrarse los numeros grabados en las teclas de goma, cosa que modelos en otras marcas de 10 años atrás no les sucedía....lo vendí enseguida y no tendría nunca más uno...

N1RSR Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2007 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for what they were.  Time owned: more than 12 months

Having owned both a 580 and a 582, I've found that
they were decent radios.

Pros:

-Dual independent RX
-Generally reliable
-Decent Backlight
-Multiple power out options.
-Can take DC direct for mobile use

Cons:
-Lame BNC that gets loose.
-Lame BNC that gets loose.
-Some intermod with real antenna attached to
it... typical of most HTs, however.

Can't complain about battery power, was about
typical for units of the day. Good thing is a
lot of aftermarket power packs existed for this
radio. You could also shut off a "side" to save
some juice if it was not in use.

If it wasn't for the BNC connector design on
the 580/582, I would have given the radio a
5. If you buy one with the understanding that
it may need to have this connection fixed in the
future, you can't go wrong.

-Mike

KC4GMY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2003 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver - No Problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for 7 years - no problems at all.

KE6VNU Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2003 14:53 Send this review to a friend
I have allways liked this radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was 17 years old and first got my ham license back in 1995. A alinco Dj-580t was my very first ham radio. I had alot of fun with this radio and caused all kinds of mischief with it. It performed very well and seemed to have a very sensitive receiver and the transmit audio was always loud and crystal clear. Allways got good audio reports.

It was also very simple to operate. simple functions like repeater shift and pl tones are very easy to get to, unlike my new yaesu vx-7 which is a programming menu nightmare.

the receiver volume level was OK, but most amateur handhelds at the time did not seem to have very loud receive volume. the dj-580 was a bit louder then my ft-530 though.

the stock battery that came with the radio didnt hold a charge very long, once replaced with high cap batterries it would now run for several hours like it was supposed to.

The only complaint was that when you had the radio in crossband repeat mode, it would not transmitt pl tones.

all in all, if you can find one that was well taken care of, it will be a good serving radio.

I got mine from AES in 1995 for $399.00, I recently picked up a pair of them, with 2 batteries, soft case and a rapid charger off of ebay for $175, GOOD DEAL!!!

KB7UIX Rating: 3/5 Jul 11, 2003 00:20 Send this review to a friend
not a bad HT...  Time owned: more than 12 months
i owned a dj-580t for several years. it stood up to a lot of use in and out of band. even survived a few drops onto concrete. it's easy to use and has a useful display (unlike so many modern stubby handhelds). the keypad is usable at night. it has dual receive, crossband repeat, paging. i wore through a keypad or two (not unusual with any HT), but they were cheap to replace. after a few years it developed what others described as a microprocessor problem...it would not transmit on either band (no indication or RF out). i replaced the two allegedly offending surface mount ICs (behind the display) but the problem remained. the alinco was replaced with a yaesu ft-51r, which had been an even better radio for several years. the alinco gave years of good service and would still be a decent radio if you find one cheap. if you have more money to throw around, look for something more reliable and durable.

N1SDE Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2003 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Best value.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My is first radio. In nine years I have only had to resolder the antenna connector, and repack the batteries.
Battery life was reasonable, about five hours of receive. Now I have Ni-MH replacements that last about twice as long. Aftermarket batteries for this model have always been fairly cheap. A larger antenna like the Diamond RH77 is also a good investment. I was warned about intermod, but it has not been a big problem, even with a good mobile antenna.
Recently, I wrecked one of the buttons on the keypad, and the LCD got a little black spots. My wife said just buy a new radio, but the parts are inexpensive and readily available, so I got a broken DX-70 and fixed that too.
Both Alincos came with schematics in the owner's manual, a big plus if you want to do it yourself. Both service manuals were downloaded from the Alinco website.
I could have bought a radio with more features, but this has been the best value.