Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-580T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-580T
Alinco DJ-580T Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m/70cm HT
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-580T.

K2FIX Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2002 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Good, with a little caveat  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While it is not as small as some current radios,it does cover 2m and 440. I bought it used, for a fair price, and it is a good radio with one small item. I have worked over 40 miles with a dipole on simplex, and over water with the rubber ducky, have worked repeaters 20 miles off, all with good audio reports.

There is a simple mod for the Air Band, and another mod to open up the 800 mhz band, but since this is built before the ECPA, no matter. There's also a freeband mod, which I don't have.

The flaw is that IM is fierce in urban environments, both on 70 cm and 2m.

Still, recommended. The receiver has good sensitivity when not clobbered by Paging, and for most "HT", not "hooked up to a huge antenna" use, you'll not be unhappy.

N0VKG Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2002 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine since I got my ticket back in Descember 1992. Great overall radio. In its 10 year life, the buttons are getting stuck morer often. And the BNC/antenna port seems to be suffering alittle bit of lose of contact. I should be able to resolve it by resoldering it to the circuit board. But overall. A solid rig when used with either the -stock- antenna, or an equivelant rubber-duck. Remember, Alinco HTs do not receive well on base or mobile antennas. Subject to severe intermod interference. IF you are going to hook it up to a mobile or base antenna, best bet is to use the lowest-gain antennas possible. My Alinco 580T should continue to provide years of service. I have every expectation of this.
Long live the old Alinco DJ-580T. Mine is now 10-years old. Going strong. 73 from todd hartzel / n0vkg in St Louis, Missouri

WB7CYO Rating: 3/5 Apr 10, 2001 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Handheld worth the bucks....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good little radio at the time they produced them. Mine has had very little use in the past couple of years though. Seems to work fine and I consider it a good investment considering you can
still sell them for a few dollars after all these years. Bought mine new, went to the battery case
(holds 6 AA size) and installed NiMh batteries last year. Better battery life this way. The nicad packs always go bad after a few years anyway.

G8SBF Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2001 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Tip for owners  Time owned: more than 12 months
The master reference oscillator on these sets tends to drift with time - mine was 2KHz low in frequency. You will find the adjustment trimmer at the bottom of the screened can on the lower circuit board next to the master reference crystal. Adjust with a non-metallic trimmer. You can tape the battery plate onto the battery when the set is apart to allow easier adjustment. Adjust on 70cm.

G8SBF Rating: 4/5 Mar 2, 2001 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Good overall  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio with rather poor battery life even if used just on Receive. Plenty of mods on the web for it too. The high voltage battery gives 5W which is good at frying your head and your hands as the set gets very very hot.

One problem with this radio and I know I'm not the first to suffer it - the antenna BNC socket eventually develops dry joints and you need to carefully strip down the set (I used the dining room table) to resolder it with a thermostatic soldering iron with a fairly large bit. After that the radio is back to it's usual self. To get the case off you need to pull off the knobs and carefully undo the locking nuts at the base of the knob shafts. It's fiddly - and even more so when you get inside the set!

KZ9G Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2000 00:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio from This One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let's see... I've had mine since the early nineties, and haven't had a problem yet. Really love the audio from it, as it's full bodied and plenty loud. I did replace the battery after 7 years or so... what do you expect! Find one if you can. It is a great buy... modifiable, too!

KC7CZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2000 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Still going...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it new, treated it good and bad. This little radio is like the energizer bunny. Really. I have had great luck with the radio. With the easy modifications, The radio is able to recieve many outside bands. (Yes other mods are able - but keeping it safe) I was really impressed with Alinco's service though. Had a problem with the BNC connector - sent it back on a Thursday, got it back on Tuesday, fixed with a new keypad - for the worn one that was on it - also.
Big bang for the buck.
I plan on continuing my Alinco purchases due to thier great service and the quality of this radio.

N2LPA Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 1999 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Great radio with a lot of features. Get one if you  Time owned: unknown months
I loved my Alinco when I had it. It worked well and on both bands, but it did get quite hot after a long QSO, and the battery life was poor to say the least. I also had problem with 440, as the radio got older, but I always thought it was my abuse of the radio. Well I guess you can say it wasn't perfect, but it did so many things so well, you could ignore the falts. Get one if you still can.

N8CPI Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 1999 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Good product...  Time owned: unknown months
I have had 4 of these radio's over the years and they are very durable and work VERY WELL. One problem I have seen (with two of them)was that
when they got older and were sorta "abused" meaning that after carrying them on my belt everywhere and leaving them in the car heat/cold
TWO OF THEM developed Microprocessor problems on the UHF side. I still have them and they both work great on 2 Mtr but the UHF sorta died on them. Don't know if anyone else has seen this but thought I would report it anyway. (It would not stop me from getting another one BTW) cause they do WORK GOOD WHEN THEY WORK.. :-) Fred