Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Tripp lite power supplies Help

Reviews Summary for Tripp lite power supplies
Tripp lite power supplies Reviews: 37 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $Tripp lite PR30
Description: Tripp lite power supplies

You can write your own review of the Tripp lite power supplies.

W4KVW Rating: 0/5 Jun 25, 2008 10:14 Send this review to a friend
JUNK,JUNK,JUNK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a PR-40 several years ago & it failed under warranty.Tripp-Lite sent me a schematic but it did NOT match the parts in the power supply.When I called them back they suggested I mail it back for repair but it would cost me almost as much as I paid for it.Had at least TWO other local hams with the same problem(PR-40 & PR-60).They were ALL "JUNK" & we each changed to ASTRON power supplies with no further problems.

NG9R Rating: 1/5 May 8, 2008 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
All that Tripp Lite power supplies are good for is parts! I took a part a PR 40 and the rectifiers are only rated at 25 amps. They are press in units and they were not pressed in straight. The soldering looking like a 6 year old had done it and the wiring was unreal. The total output current passes through a single PCB with very thin copper trace and they use banana plugs for 40 amps! Even the old cheap Vista power supplies are built better than the Tripp lites I have seen.

WB2FTX Rating: 1/5 Mar 7, 2008 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Bad, bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had two PR-40As running my shack and for a while they operated fine...They were floating across about 500 amp-hr worth of deep cycle batteries... One day I noticed that everything in the shack was not operating properly... Hooked up the VOM and found that both supplies were dead and the batteries discharged below 10 volts.. Got the same response about getting a schematic or other documentation, not their policy... The regulator chip is propiertary and they don't even offer any details on it. Last time I'll buy a Tripplite... Replaced the supplies with two 40 amp Pyramid units that have been chugging along for 5 years.

WB2FTX

N7OE Rating: 1/5 Mar 21, 2007 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Worked, then didn't.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had a PR-20 back in the late 1990's. Tripp Lite makes great surge suppressors (why I liked them at the time), but the power supply was a total lemon! It worked ok for a very, very short while, then got touchy. Sometimes it would be fine, and could easily deliver all the amps my TS-850S wanted from it. Other times, even the slightest load would cause the voltage to drop to zero, preventing the radio from even turning on. Other times, the supply was sitting at zero volts immediately after being turned on!! There was just no predicting it. I gave it to a friend for parts and bought an Astron. I should have just started there, as my father owns one that's been going for more than a decade.

KB1NHD Rating: 3/5 Dec 22, 2006 05:18 Send this review to a friend
sloppy assembly  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Fortunately, I didn't pay much, even including the shipping for my PR-15. It was listed as "works great" and upon powering up, it appeared that way. Then the sparks started and the smoke appeared. This unit appeared to have never been used at all and once I opened it, I found loose hardware, especially the power studs extending through the chassis. Great voltage but no current capacity until I checked and remounted the output transistors and resoldered the output leads of the power transformer. Good quality components inside but poorly assembled. Mine works fine now but I'd never buy another unless I could see it working first, even a brand new one!!

KI4HWC Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2006 14:09 Send this review to a friend
ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works good. slight hum..... Gets hot fast

W6TH Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2006 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Easy to repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sixteen plus years with the PR20 and finally broke down. replaced the 2N3771 NPN transistors and it is up and running. Ran the repair for 24 hours and during the contest yesterday and today and it is running like new. Can't beat this for the many good years of service and guess I will get another 16 plus years out of this PR20.

A no hash power supply. Paid $60.00 brand new, I believe I have had my moneys worth. $3.75 a year for the past 16 years is something to boast about.

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2006 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a 60 amp supplier back in 1995 and had it for a year. I ended up selling it to a guy that needed it more than I did. When i had it it seemed to work well. I never ran it to its full potential so i never had the heat issue.
granted they are not quite up to par with a Astron but they are good for what they are. A basic power supply for basic needs..

NZ0T Rating: 0/5 Feb 17, 2006 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Bad, bad, bad!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a PR-12 that quit after a few years. I just emailed Tripp Lite asking for a schematic so I can repair it and was told they don't supply schematics but would be happy to exchange my unit for a new one - at a price. I'll never buy another Tripp Lite product!

W6TH Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2005 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Great For Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using my PR20 for over 15 years. I keep it looking good and it still works as new.

Ran a Beacon test 24/7 on it for one solid week at full current drawn and yes it got hot, but never failed.

No complaints and well satisfied.

73, W6TH (A non vanity call).