Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage Pro (wireless) Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage Pro (wireless)
Davis Vantage Pro (wireless) Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $595
Description: Vantage Pro weather stations for monitoring barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, rainfall, and wind speed and direction.
More info: http://www.davisnet.com

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage Pro (wireless).

KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2017 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great weather station but expensive. I tried several including the Oregon and they were nothing but problems. I bought the Davis Vantage Pro and it has worked flawless. I recommend if you want good PC connectivity you buy the genuine Davis USB device. I tried the cheaper version and had issues. For one the retention of memory.

I have the wireless station about 2oo feet from house and it works fine. Could not be happier.

AG6V Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2017 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and easy to setup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Researched and decided on a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus. And the WeatherLink software to connect directly to my router. Easy as pie to setup - just as described in the manual, which was clear. Ordered up a second console - again easy to setup and connect. Installing the unit and the wind gauge on the roof was a bit trickier, but just because I wanted it to look good (visible from the driveway). The 20 foot mast holds the unit and the gauge, just as decribed in the manual. And a bonus: Customer Service was easy to reach and knowledgeable.

N5CSU Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2014 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the original VantagePro Wireless up for over ten years on the roof with absolutely flawless performance. On the tenth or eleventh year, I had to replace the internal battery with a new one from Radio Shack for $5. With the new battery, it's now going strong again at year 14.

The only thing you have to do is keep the rain gauge free of pine needles, leaves, etc.

I use WeatherLink software and Virtual Weather Station to put the station on WeatherUnderground and APRS.

I recommend this over their newer Vantage Vue, which has consistent problems with batteries running down quickly. The Pro is not inexpensive but you get what you pay for. There is a reason you see the Vantage Pro in use at airports, the Antartica, etc.

KW1ND Rating: 2/5 Dec 16, 2013 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Mixed feelings  Time owned: more than 12 months
After considerable research, I purchased my VP2 (wireless) and installed it in December, 2006. I tried but never used the OEM software for more than a couple weeks, instead running wview in Linux. That was never a problem.

The issues began after about 2 years, when the console's barometer would occasionally wig out, then several days later correct itself. Then, a couple years later, the ISS started eating batteries. I verified the solar panel was operational, and per some forum advice, I swapped out the unit's super capacitor with the correct replacement. This had no effect, and it still eats batteries (about 1 every 3-5 weeks, depending on sunlight).

A little over a year ago, the anemometer stopped reporting, from the Davis optional remote transmitter. I've been so aggravated with this $400 purchase I haven't gotten around to troubleshooting it yet.

So, within 5-1/2 years, the only data I can still reliably get is the indoor temperature and humidity. I could do that with a $10 Walmart unit.

I haven't contacted Davis about these issues since the warranty ran out long ago. We have an identical unit at work, which has (generally) been running fine. It had a minor issue with the ISS a few years ago, and Davis repaired it for $120 (and they didn't even re-cal it, or wipe off any dirt). I don't recall what the problem was specifically, and though it was minor, the unit is used by the safety department, so we paid to get it fixed. Since my unit has multiple issues, with both the ISS and console, my repair bill would likely be well above $120, at which point I'm left debating whether it's worth 40-50% of the original price to get it repaired.

N2KI Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellant  Time owned: more than 12 months
My unit has been on location since November 2008. It has gon through multiple storms including Hurricane Irene, TS Lee and Super Storm Sandy. It is still recording and providing data. The original battery is still in use but I suspect after 5 years I will have to replace it. No major malfunctions in 5 years.

W1REJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2012 18:59 Send this review to a friend
12 years of hard use  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Davis Vantage Pro was installed in 1998, and has weathered ice storms of the century here in New England, as well as Nor'easters of epic proportions. The Anemometer is mounted on a steel pole 33 feet above the ground on the top of the hill, 1000 feet ASL, open to all directions. After 12 years, the Anemometer finally gave up the ghost, the tiny reed switch failed stopping all wind speed right in the middle of Hurricane Sandy. A new one(rebuilt) is being shipped out today. Davis is a top notch customer support company.
I do wish the software program was better, when it downloads to my PC, I cannot do any other work. However I do have the internet package and via the router, ARES and all the local TV stations get the updates real time with no intervention on my part. With an APC battery backup system, I don't worry about the batteries in the Console when power goes out, they are never an issue.Rain gauge has issues with bird poop, but that is the nature of the game in bird season, so I check it weekly, no big deal.

K6ROW Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2012 09:53 Send this review to a friend
It's reliable, could be improved  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up for 4 years, with no failures I can recall. I like the fact that the data is posted at Davis' website and my neighbors all use my station for their info. I've also had an Oregon Scientific which just had a lot of problems. Things I think could be improved are:
1. The raingauge clogs easily
2. The console eats batteries when there is a power failure.
3. The software is archaic and slow.

K1ALL Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Vantage Pro for over five years and it continues to perform well. I have had two failures during that period - 1. the supercapacitor needed replacing (flat rate repair)and the rain guage sensor failed (part supplied free of charge). I have the sensor unit installed about 100 ft from the display unit and it works flawlessly. The rain catcher must occasionally be cleared of leaves and pine needles, but that's easy and expected. A very nice and reliable device.

K6ROW Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2011 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Good and Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Davis Vantage Pro for several years. It's been quite reliable. My neighbors use it as "their" weather station as the data from my station is available on Davis' website, a nice feature. Data logging is good and it has some nice plotting features for historical data. Customer technical support is good. Compared to the Oregon Scientific unit that wasn't reliable and is still limping along and I've not take down, the Davis unit is a star!
Things I don't like about it:
The raingauge clogs easily. The software seems archaic. It runs very slowly and won't let other software run while it's downloading. I have frequent power outages, and its power consumption isn't managed well when it loses ac power so it eats batteries at a fast clip.

KF5KXT Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2011 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Love it!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Vantage Pro2 to replace some other various instruments. Right as I unpacked it and got it powered up it read. The first day I recieved it we got hammered by an ice storm so it wasn't untill 3 days after I was able to install it. First day on the job another ice storm hit. The Davis picked up on it before it hit. Pretty good for it's first day on the job. Seems to stand up to what ever challanges it (mother nature, pests). Eventually I plan to add the solar, UV, leaf, and soil sensors to it. This weather station with in the 4 months I've owned it it's proved to be the best. No wonder so many people use this. If you consider yourself a true weather enthusiest, save up and get a Davis.