Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Icom IC-PS15 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-PS15
Icom IC-PS15 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 12V Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-PS15.

SONY6060 Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Solidly Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the looks and mechanical details of the PS-15. Inside it is a simple linear type power supply. The transformer is quite large. The rest of the design is sufficient, not over built IMO.

An Astron RS-20 power supply is similar, but does add an over-voltage crowbar lacking in the IC-PS15. I added an over-voltage crowbar circuit in the IC-PS15.

Due to electrolytic capacitors can fail after 30 years, I replaced all electrolytic capacitors for good measure. I also upgraded the bridge rectifier from a 25 amp to a 70 amp. I expect another 30 years service.

Oh, I let my license expire 12 years ago, retired now and will have a new license in two weeks.

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2012 22:01 Send this review to a friend
SOLID & STRONG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an IC-PS1S and am impressed with both the build quality and the performance. I have it currently powering my IC-756 ProIII but originally used it for powering my IC-751A and it's never skipped a beat in over 10 years. No dimming lights under full load, no noise, no attention required, just pure clean, stable power, as it should be.

This thing feels like it weighs about the same as my Astron 35M. It's just a healthy linear supply with the appropriate plug for my Icoms, and some Kenwoods & Yaesus, although it won't power up my FT-890 since the power supply uses a current sensing turn-on circuit and the 890/900 series first engage a polarity protection relay before sending DC to the board.

Other than that, no complaints, it just keeps working, and that's a good thing.

PU2SUB Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2012 17:27 Send this review to a friend
eu tenho uma fonte ic ps15 que queimo um capacitor de cor azul   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
obrigado estou prasizando do capacitor de cor azul

F6GGR Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 14:41 Send this review to a friend
A very good one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one for 2 years. It works well and produces no noise. My 100 Watts IC-730 matches perfectly with it and the power switch of the TX commands the PS15. In conclusion this power supply is of that kind you forget. What else to want ?

G7TPL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2008 10:38 Send this review to a friend
hot stuff!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
got my PS15 in a deal with a 706mk1. after I sold the 706, the supply stood me at MINUS 30!
it runs my IC746 with no major issues, except the rear heatsink getting very hot after a while at 100w FM on 2/6/10m.
easily sorted, a computer fan mounted on the heatsink and run off the internal 13.8v.
I've just got a PS85 to try.
do you think I'm getting rid of the PS15??
NO CHANCE!!

N4CQR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2004 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While designed for Icom radios (specifically the IC-720) with a mechanical ON/OFF switch, the PS-15 is a suitable power supply for about any 100-watt class radio. [There is no power switch on the PS-15.] Clean simple design allows the power supply to match fairly will with many of the Icom/Kenwood and Yaesu rigs.

The PS-15 is a quiet both physically and electrically. Although out of production, there is an optional cooling fan (IC-CF1) that ocasionally turns up from time to time through the auction sites which is recomended for RTTY and long duration transmissions.

If a ON/OFF switch is necessary, a miniture toggle switch can be added next to the power LED on the front panel with little dificulty.

Good solid performance from a simple analog power supply.

Craig - N4CQR

VA7OJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2002 02:38 Send this review to a friend
A real Energizer Bunny!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-PS15 is just a plain, simple linear power supply rated at 13.8V/20A DC output. It has a big power transformer inside, a generous heatsink at the rear of the cabinet, and no fans!

The IC-PS15 primary can be wired for 120V or 240V mains. The cabinet was designed to match the IC-745, IC-751, IC-751A etc., but looks great next to the IC-756/Pro/Pro2. The power ON/OFF button on the 756-series radios does not switch the primary (mains) circuit.

My IC-PS15 has powered various Icom HF transceivers over the years. It now runs my IC-756Pro. This power supply is a true Energizer Bunny. It runs fairly cool in SSB service, is silent and has no EMC issues whatsoever.