Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer
Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ 50.00 to 90.00$
Description: Yaesu two-meter synthesized transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer.

G0DXA Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 13:13 Send this review to a friend
a tough little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 227 about 1984 and used it many years both base and mobile, allways got good audio reports on tx and rx, I boxed it up in 1995 and forgot about it, just checked it over it only needed a squirt of switch cleaner on the repeater switch and its up and running again, great rig good value for money and simple to use which is more than can be said for most modern rigs.

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Loved this radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
1st radio I had after I got my Tech. Wonderful radio for what it was. Heavy and tough. Great base radio also. Loved it. If I could find a tone board I would buy another.

VE2EBP Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Great radio! Amazing audio & fun community!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-227 support group: http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/ft-227

This group is dedicated to the Yaesu Musen's FT-227R/RA/RB enthusiasts.

The Yaesu-Musen FT-227 is a PLL controlled tranceiver for the 2 meter ham band. This was the first 2 meter rig to have a digital display and even a memory. Dual RF power: 1 & 10 watts. Capable of +/- 600 KHz and unconventional offsets.

Unfortunately, the production was discontinued in 1981. Over it's active life, the transceiver was sold with several different model suffixes. Later models had up/down buttons on the mike and the VFO could scan for busy or clear frequencies - it was pretty futuristic in the 80's!!!

The group was created for those who want to make the most out of their rig and who may wish to share common projects (alignment, adds-on, modifications, interfaces, care, etc).

We also cover and encourage discussion of the FT-107R (220 MHz version) and FT-627R (6 meter version) equivalents of the famous workhorse.

The group is SPAM FREE.

Thanks to eham.net for their support!

Pierre VE2EBP & Joe N2QOJ

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my ft-227 for years now, I bought it for about five bucks at a.local ham-fest. It has been my primary two-metre rig for about ten years, and hasn't missed a beat in all that time. I switch it on first thing in the morning, off last thing at night. These rigs were a welcome relief from the quasi-military look of other rigs of the era. And they still look real flash! They are bullet proof and just keep on working. No more need be said, if you can find one, buy it! I'm going to be buried with mine. Yaesu sure got it right with this one!

PY2VR Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Working with my FT-8800 Cross Repeater Config  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a FT-227RB more than 10 years and I created a way to use the it. We have a local UHF repeater where daily I can found great friends. So when I am in my shack I turn on my Yaesu FT-8800 in Cross Band Repeater config and I use the FT-227RB, it's a great way to use it.

W3BM Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful friend of a rig...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my FT-227RA in 1979 for $322.87 (if you can believe that). It came with a stock Mic, the YM22 DTMF Mic was $39.95 extra.
I have had 31 years of fantastic (NO BREAKDOWN) service from this radio, and just sold it with a FP-4 Power Supply and 3-Mics.
I really hated to see it go, but I want to get a new smaller and lighter rig.

KC2VDM Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2010 14:04 Send this review to a friend
great radio for simplex!  Time owned: more than 12 months
my friend got this radio 2 years ago when we were both nat a hamfest.he bought it for $15. it's been sitting in my basement (his workshop is down there) for 2 years. he traded it to me a day ago for a radioshak kit and some other stuff. great simplex radio, great reciever audio. has more quality to the sound, like old tube gear. if your a new ham looking for a radio to get started on with not much money in your hands, get this radio. but dont pay more than $50 for it, unless its still in the box.

NOTE: you cannot access -most- repeaters with it, as it has no PL tones. just an 1800hz tone, which i think can be adjusted for pl tones. i don't know for sure.

KB0LPI Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2009 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Best sounding 2m rig I've heard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up at a hamfest this weekend. It has one memory, no CTCSS, and just 10 watts, but it has the warmest, richest audio of any rig on 2m I've ever heard. Everything else sounds like a tin can by comparison. That includes my FT-2400, FT-1802, IC-2410, and IC-7000.

If you have a favorite repeater or frequency you like to listen to, this is a great rig for listening.
If you need >10W, CTCSS, coverage outside the 144-148 band, or a bunch of memories, you'd best look elsewhere.

I love listening to this radio.

W8EZI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 12:42 Send this review to a friend
The best 2 meter rig of its time period.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig new in 1978. It has been a winner. I have had to replace 3 crystals that aged out of spec.

I really like the sound of the received audio from this radio. I am about to install a ctcss board. I realize that this radio is technologically old, but it was the best of its time. I still prefer this radio over anything with a menu. I just like knobs and buttons that do the job.

The pcb layout is very clean. It is easily repaired. The manual that came with it is extraordinarily clear and easy to follow. I only wish I could personally thank the engineer that designed this rig that give me 30 years of great service.

2E0VAD Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2008 07:43 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the audio is the best i've heard on fm by a mile! its just for simlex in my shack. if you can find one, get it!!!