Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer
Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $ 50.00 to 90.00$
Description: Yaesu two-meter synthesized transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-227RA Memorizer.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2005 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Good second backup  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several of these-the first one in 1979. Now have a clean one, got in a trade for next to nothing. I was impressed as heck with it in 79. No more crystals! The memory feature is kinda worthless as it dumps when power is removed. Too bad you can't change the IC's to MOS equivalents and add a backup battery. Or who would make the effort? Nice BIG display for old eyes. Solid construction. Nice feel. No big intermod problems as it does not have the broadband front end, that newer rigs have, that let in all the garbage. You can add a tone board but some of the newer boards don't have sufficient output for the audio insertion point-best injected into mike circuit. I added a 100hz tone board to mine. I have the tech data so it works like it should and I aligned the thing. The big fat Yaesu TT mike TT feature failed. So I wired in a Yaesu MH-1B8 plain mike and it works fine, has a switch on the back for selecting audio response. Hamfest special cheapo. This is a good rig for monitoring the local repeater or emergency backup. Or a loaner to a new ham that does not need to figure out 40 multifunction keys to get on the air easy. Fun classic. IF you can get a clean, working one for 25-40$!

AC6AN Rating: 3/5 Sep 4, 2005 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig - for its time...  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is hard to comprehend so many people rating the FT-227R as 5/5. Let's get real here!
This radio is very basic, bulky and... basic...
Lack of any decent memory facilities is a far cry for a rig nicknamed "Memorizer". PL tones can be added if you don't have that option, but the comercial boards are more expensive than the used rig itself. I took a look at the schematics and noticed an easy way to modify the burst-tone circuit to a PL tone generator. Unfortunately, my rig has a problem with the burst-tone buffer and fixing that would take more time than I wished to invest in this rig.
There is a published method for changing the "start-up" frequency. This can be useful for APRS or Packet to avoid issues if power is inadvertantly switched off. Also, with the PL installed and this mod done, a single repeater may be monitored without any hassle even in a mobile installation.
Bottom line: the FT-227R is useful - within its limitations!

M0PME Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2005 15:39 Send this review to a friend
best rig i ever had  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have two of these, they have the best rx for the two meter band.

N6AJR Rating: 3/5 May 18, 2005 13:52 Send this review to a friend
In 1978  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these in 1978 as my first VHF rig and it was state of the art..... then

Then you had 2 local repeaters with 100 hams on each repeater, no ctcss codes and a ringo ranger was the Best antenna in the world.

Now we have 2 hams each on 100 repeaters, and you must have ctcss tones, , directional antennas, and more than 10 memories minimum for the multiple repeaters you hit on the commute to work.

It was good back then but now a days a 10 watt, no ctcss machine is just another old radio..

YMMV

PU3AKZ Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2005 09:08 Send this review to a friend
The best !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this rig since new and never fails to me. The best 2M rig ever had. I use it all day and when more power is needed I attach a small linear Amplifier that gives me 50 Watts, more than enough to make my contacts. My model is the 227RB which comes with more memory. I have an Icom IC27H, but I prefer to use my old 227 instead.

AA2T Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2005 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Never give it up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good solid radio, bounced around in mobiles for years without a lick of trouble. Can't say that about the follow on rigs ! Now still in use with add on PL encoder.

W2RS Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2004 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m FM radio, despite lack of PL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two FT-227Rs, one in my shack and one in my dad's (KB2VWZ), both bought used at hamfests. I've used them on both voice and packet, with excellent results. They're as indestructible as any ham equipment I've ever had, and do everything they're supposed to do. As other reviewers have mentioned, they do not have PL generators, so if the repeaters you want to use have PL, you'll have to add that. A socket on the rear panel provides an easy way to do that using an outboard tone generator, if you're so inclined. No bells and whistles, just one memory on the FT-227R (more on the RA and RB), but how many do you really need? It's easy to program non-standard splits.

The lack of a PL tone generator is my only reason for the 4 rating. If you don't need PL, it's a solid 5/5.

73, Ray

LW8DJI Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2004 13:19 Send this review to a friend
goog!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
in spite of the years that it has is a good equipment with a receiver of very good quality and one been accustomed to construction, today in day,no is obtained to very low price can be compared with the equipment of today in very unjust serious day but it is a good radius to begin

KC9FJE Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2004 08:09 Send this review to a friend
awesome rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio as my 1st rig... and it's one of the best rigs ive ever used. the receiver is extremly sesitive, but as for transmitted audio it's a bit too "bassy"

WB6NVH Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2004 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yaesu made the FT-227R and then the 227RA and 227RB. The later versions include more memory but are otherwise nearly identical. There are a few things these rigs suffer from some 20+ years later. The lamp for the s-meter is usually blown out (and easy repair) and more seriously, the socketed IC's develop intermittent pin contact connections which are difficult to diagnose. I suggest squirting some DeOxit into the IC sockets and carefully re-inserting the chips and couple of times. The metal housing is superior to modern plastic radios. Yes, you can use an aftermarket CTCSS encoder board such as a Com-Spec SS32, however you will find that the level on the Com-Spec needs to be at near-maximum to drive the 227R's tone accessory connection. The 10 Watt output is a little light but was par for the course in 1980. The 227R series service manuals are comprehensive but somewhat hard to follow and the RA and RB supplements look like they were put together hastily and don't always match the actual equipment. For some reason, the manufacturer thought having a scan-for-vacant-frequency feature was useful. I would rather have had a memory channel scan feature instead.