Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Timewave DSP-599zx Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave DSP-599zx
Timewave DSP-599zx Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $399
Description: DSP noise filter.
More info: http://www.timewave.com/dsp599zx.html

You can write your own review of the Timewave DSP-599zx.

W6LAX Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2011 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Pull the weakest signals out of the mud  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the 599-zx for ten years now, first on an IC-765, then a FT1000 Mk5 and now an Elecraft K2. Even after all these years I am sometimes amazed at how it can take a feeble CW signal that is way down in the noise and turn it into bright, solid copy. During a contest it eliminates most QRM. Its noise reduction ability is impressive. This is an expensive accessory, but it has been a worthwhile additional to all of my rigs.

KD5VC Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2011 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Good for Older Gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new a few years ago. The Binaural CW and CW peaking for the 5.0 upgrade are really worthwhile. Mine is used for an IC-R9000 and IC-781. It helps a great amount on noise reduction and filter bandwidth selection. The older gear gets a good workout with this addition. Not up to the IC-7800, but respectable performance for 20 year old gear.

SCUBA Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2010 07:18 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions Report  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the unit in January, received it in April. Reason for delay was most likely due to upgrades being performed by the manufacturer. I bought it from R&L electronics, they do a fine job and kept me informed of my order status.

The Knobs. The knobs aren't milspec like you find on Thales and Harris radios, but they are sturdy, rugged, well designed, and will withstand years of use and abuse. I took the unit to a radio club meeting and others who examined the unit found nothing wrong with the knobs. Sorry to dispute those who believe otherwise.

First Impressions:

20 meters around here totally sucks with noise; Noise is usually S-8 or worse. I tested the unit on a KWM-2 on several bands, and at a time when 20 meters was almost overcome with noise.

Voice: Without even reading the book, the unit knocked the noise down from S-9 to [what seems to be] a low S-3 or S-2 with the desired voices coming right through at good fidelity. I was able to single out desired voices and exclude nearby undesired stations, without touching the KWM-2.

CW: The CW side of 20 Meters, noise level S-8 to S-9. The unit totally killed all the noise, CW came through with excellent fidelity. The unit also killed other undesired CW signals nearby. CW sounded like a code practice oscillator.

The 599zx will also eliminate the need to perform the CW upgrade to the KWM-2, as it will allow varying the tone of the desired CW signal.

Functionality: This unit gives you total control over everything audio; it's gotta be the top of the food change for noise filters. Yeah it's expensive, but it makes 20 meters usable.

Advice for buyers: Use an ohm-meter to determine which lead is center conductor of the 12v power cord in order to observe polarity when connecting for the first time.

Eham requires rendering a numerical score, with the caveat this this is a first-impressions report, I have to give it a full 5. If the unit later blows up in my face, I'll repost and downgrade it to a lower score,.

VE3XNB Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2009 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Very good unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this unit with both my Yaesu FT-840 and my Kenwood R-5000. Since I do not use the two radios at the same time this works great. I bought the 599 used and it was well worth the price.

73s de Bob VE3XNB

WB0MCO Rating: 3/5 Feb 8, 2009 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Not Very Good For SSB  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one expecting help with pulling out weak
SSB signals. All it did was add distortion.
It works for notching out tones and narrowing the
audio,good for CW bad for SSB.
Sold mine.

OZ1DTF Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2008 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great accessory!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
By purchasing the DSP-599zx (May 2007) I have prolonged the life of my excellent FT-1000. With the DSP-599zx (and an INRAD filter) I can not blame the receiver if I do not get the DX. With fast operators on DX-peditions it is important to read them well so you can call at the right time slots. Someone tuning up? => press a button and the heterodyne is gone. Of course it still affect the AGC but in most cases this is a minor problem. Further the random noise filter is excellent. There is no reason to list all the features here. So far no problems at all. It has added fun. Highly recommended!

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2007 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Timewave 599ZX for PSK31, RTTY and SSB, I much preferred it to my West Mountain Rigblaster Pro, which was a superbely built piece of equipment in its own right, but lacked the versatility of the Timewave. On SSB, the Auto and Manual Notch filters worked superbly well, killing off IQ zero sociopath tune up tones with ease. Reducing random noise was very much a hands on affair, and required careful adjustment of the level of aggression, otherwise the audio could end up sounding like fish tank bubbles! Occasionally it was necessary to switch in the AGC to get the best noise reduction under the circumstances, and certainly it took some time to learn how to get the best from the unit. The AM line noise function worked superbly, especially on weak signals, but if used on very strong signals the audio echoed quite a bit. On PSK31, wired to my TS-2000 via the ACC sockets it was a pleasure to use, being wired in such a way that the audio input was controlled via the packet menu presenting a constant input, plus, I didn't have to listen to the data tones, being able to turn the AF gain right off. In addition, I could see the filter bandwidth on the PC screen and could adjust it to exactly capture the target trace. On RTTY it was much the same, a real pleasure to use and adjustable to suit whatever RTTY spec was being used worldwide. The unit is superbly built and a real boon for older analogue rigs working in harmony with the likes of INRAD filters or even factory filters. Like I say, it takes a bit of getting to know how to extract the best performance from the unit, so I suggest a thorough RTFM session before playing with your new toy. I recommend it to anyone, great bit of kit!

TI2TL Rating: 2/5 Dec 21, 2006 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Not as good as expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I bought this DSP unit after reading all the superb reviews I could find on the net, and I can tell you that I am not happy at all with the unit. I do only SSB no data or CW and in this mode the performance is less then good. Modulation, even if on the reviews you read says the oposite, becomes compleately robotic once you activate all the needed filters to lower the noise. The saturation point is too low and once you feed him with some satured audio the performance goes down even more.
Would I suggest the buy of this item? NO not at all unless you would have too much money to waste on a low performance unit. Most of the time it has to be used with your headphones since the sound coming out of the speaker is so bad it becomes uncomprehensible. Most of the time I rather just keep it off since I find it more clear to understand a QSO without it that with it.
I am giving it a 2 because it has worked me out on some ocasion otherwise I would give it a 0.

KG0LH Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2006 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Great unit--PSK31?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the unit since 98 or 99 and its abilities never cease to amaze me. I have never regretted the purchase or wished I had some other brand.
Since this review is probably going to be read by current owners, too, I wonder if anyone uses the unit as a computer interface for PSK31? I am thinking of purchasing the upgrade that came out in 2000 and it includes this feature. I suppose owners of newer units may already be using it for this mode.
If so, how do you like it?
73, Bruce, KG0LH

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2006 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my first DSP-599zx 5 years ago, and was so impressed, I ordered a second one a year later for another receiver. It takes an older radio and almost brings it up to the modern standards many new receivers have. It is ideal while listening on 6 meters on the calling frequency of 50.125 MHz. With the noise reduction set at the minimum level, it totally quiets background noise yet does not produce aliasing or distortion like some DSP boxes. On CW, it is the "Cat's Meow!" Way to go Timewave!