Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 87A Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 87A
Alpha 87A Reviews: 97 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6500 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 87A.

KH6VP Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2015 04:21 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful linear   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While visiting a friend who used to be a ham, I found this gem hidden under magazines stuck on the stairs leading to the attic and the shack. I got it for a song.
Since I already have a TenTec Titan linear (with two 3CX800A7 tubes - just like this one), I thought it would be an interesting comparison.

I got the transformer and the tubes out (man, this amp was full of dust), and got all this shipped as luggage to my QTH.
I cleaned, turned it on and got an error message. An email to RKR designs (who supports Alpha amps) got a code sent to me to unblock the linear. The code was uploaded via the serial interface.

Because of the computerized control, there is no way one can damage this linear. It will even tell you when a cable is not connected to the RF output and will not even let you transmit or anything.

Output power is similar to the Titan, it can do 1500W from about 55Watts in.

Great linear and it should last a long time. Just connect it and forget it.

Well worth the money!

NI7F Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2015 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Love my 87a  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Alpha 87a new 20 years ago. It has been a workhorse and has never failed me. I have looked at the new Alpha 9500 but concluded why spend any money when the 87a has been the perfect HF amplifier.

OH6RP Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent amp. Support received from the factory fast and professional assistance with problems.

W6DDU Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 17:25 Send this review to a friend
the best amp ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
got mine about 8 mo ago. you cannot beleve the signal reports i get. this amp is great. i am one of the net control ops on MMSN 14.300 so it gets used a lot. i also chase dx get one you will love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W5DXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 21:10 Send this review to a friend
The Best Auto Tune Amp Ever Built  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 87a is without a doubt the best auto tune amps ever built. Period. Only thing I would of liked to see is vacuum relays as well as something better than the Pin Diodes they use. Still... far and away the best ATA out there.

W4LWZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Super Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amplifier from a friend a couple of months ago. I have used it for general rag chewing and in a couple of contests. I absolutely love it.
This amplifier has really renewed my interest in amateur radio. This is not the first amp. I have owned, but it is by far the best.

NN4SS Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Alpha 87A that I purchased in 1992. It has worked flawlessly for over 20 years & still looks & operates like brand new. Same tubes, same everything. CW QSK is totally silent and all you have to do is transmit to change bands. Takes about 60 watts for 1500 watts out.

KB0UGS Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 16:48 Send this review to a friend
best investment ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Never realized just how good the Alpha amps were till i bought a used 87a with less than 20 hours on it....wished i would have done it along time ago...

K6JU Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2013 07:51 Send this review to a friend
The Absolute Best!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I currently own and have owned many amps. My Alpha amp is far and away the best amp I have ever owned. It is a work of engineering art and it's performance has no equal. Best piece of equipment in my shack and you get what you pay for. It breaks through all the pileups and shines every time. With my Alpha amp and K3 I have reached amateur radio nirvana. Alpha put every protection into their amps and mine just flat out crushes it. It's the type of performance we all dream about but figure we will never experience but Alpha delivers. The sheer performance takes your breath away watching your SWR Power Meter peg over to 1.5kw plus automatically tuned to every band. I have made my ham buddies promise to put the Alpha in my casket. I hope I've convinced you of the quality and wow factor this amp achieves. If you are chasing DX like I do then you need an Alpha!

ZL2AL Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Simply Brilliant Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Years ago, I had an Alpha 374 Autotun amplifier. It was a fine amp that served me well for years. I have had many, many amplifiers over 60 years of hamming including TL-922, Drake L7, SB220, THP and lately a Yaesu Quadra plus many I have built myself over the years. I have always wanted an Alpha 87A and when one came up for sale recently, I sold my Quadra and bought it. This particular amplifier had been back to the factory and had the latest mods done including Alpha remote and Alpha Max. After several months of using the Alpha I have absolutely no regrets. It is everything I had hoped for. In short the Alpha 87 is bulletproof! One dit on the key and it bandhops and tunes up perfectly. The small “grunt” is reassuring. A second dit puts 1.5 KW into the antenna for hours on end with only a little warm air coming out of the top. The construction of the Alpha 87A is of an unbelievably high standard. 1.5KW key down on RTTY for an hour barely warms the massive transformer. Mistakes with wrong antenna, mismatch or drive to high are instantly taken care of with cutoff and warning LEDs. I can’t speak highly enough of the Alpha 87A and probably will buy the 9500 in the next year or so. Definitely 5 Star in my shack.