Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 87A Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 87A
Alpha 87A Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6500 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 87A.

OH6RP Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent amp. Support received from the factory fast and professional assistance with problems.

W6DDU Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 17:25 Send this review to a friend
the best amp ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
got mine about 8 mo ago. you cannot beleve the signal reports i get. this amp is great. i am one of the net control ops on MMSN 14.300 so it gets used a lot. i also chase dx get one you will love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W5DXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 21:10 Send this review to a friend
The Best Auto Tune Amp Ever Built  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 87a is without a doubt the best auto tune amps ever built. Period. Only thing I would of liked to see is vacuum relays as well as something better than the Pin Diodes they use. Still... far and away the best ATA out there.

W4LWZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Super Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amplifier from a friend a couple of months ago. I have used it for general rag chewing and in a couple of contests. I absolutely love it.
This amplifier has really renewed my interest in amateur radio. This is not the first amp. I have owned, but it is by far the best.

NN4SS Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Alpha 87A that I purchased in 1992. It has worked flawlessly for over 20 years & still looks & operates like brand new. Same tubes, same everything. CW QSK is totally silent and all you have to do is transmit to change bands. Takes about 60 watts for 1500 watts out.

KB0UGS Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 16:48 Send this review to a friend
best investment ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Never realized just how good the Alpha amps were till i bought a used 87a with less than 20 hours on it....wished i would have done it along time ago...

K6JU Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2013 07:51 Send this review to a friend
The Absolute Best!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I currently own and have owned many amps. My Alpha amp is far and away the best amp I have ever owned. It is a work of engineering art and it's performance has no equal. Best piece of equipment in my shack and you get what you pay for. It breaks through all the pileups and shines every time. With my Alpha amp and K3 I have reached amateur radio nirvana. Alpha put every protection into their amps and mine just flat out crushes it. It's the type of performance we all dream about but figure we will never experience but Alpha delivers. The sheer performance takes your breath away watching your SWR Power Meter peg over to 1.5kw plus automatically tuned to every band. I have made my ham buddies promise to put the Alpha in my casket. I hope I've convinced you of the quality and wow factor this amp achieves. If you are chasing DX like I do then you need an Alpha!

ZL2AL Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Simply Brilliant Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Years ago, I had an Alpha 374 Autotun amplifier. It was a fine amp that served me well for years. I have had many, many amplifiers over 60 years of hamming including TL-922, Drake L7, SB220, THP and lately a Yaesu Quadra plus many I have built myself over the years. I have always wanted an Alpha 87A and when one came up for sale recently, I sold my Quadra and bought it. This particular amplifier had been back to the factory and had the latest mods done including Alpha remote and Alpha Max. After several months of using the Alpha I have absolutely no regrets. It is everything I had hoped for. In short the Alpha 87 is bulletproof! One dit on the key and it bandhops and tunes up perfectly. The small “grunt” is reassuring. A second dit puts 1.5 KW into the antenna for hours on end with only a little warm air coming out of the top. The construction of the Alpha 87A is of an unbelievably high standard. 1.5KW key down on RTTY for an hour barely warms the massive transformer. Mistakes with wrong antenna, mismatch or drive to high are instantly taken care of with cutoff and warning LEDs. I can’t speak highly enough of the Alpha 87A and probably will buy the 9500 in the next year or so. Definitely 5 Star in my shack.

W8TN Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 14:44 Send this review to a friend
22 Years & Goin' Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
22 years ago I purchased my Alpha 87a. Since I was an "early adopter", I did have some of the early PIN diode issues. But, before long, ETO fixed that problem and I had many, many years of uninterrupted service. Even when I transmitted into the wrong antenna, or forgot to reduce the drive, or made some other mistake, my 87a kept me safe by the many protection circuits built into it.

Then I experienced what is known as the "Fault 1" problem. This is a bias voltage issue. But, since it has happened to others, RF Concepts has placed a troubleshooting guide on their web site. I looked through that and decided to order all the parts that "might" need to be replaced (just 5 diodes and 1 resistor.)

It turned out that I needed some help in figuring out how to get to the part of the amp where the diodes needed replacing and RF Concepts came through again. They emailed me written instructions and even though the emails never seemed to show up (they got stuck in my SPAM folder), RF Concepts kept trying - even having the file sent directly to me by the CEO!

The end result was that my 87a is now back in A-1 shape and working just like new. The help I received from RF Concepts (who did not even own the company when I bought my amp 22 years ago) was nothing short of STELLAR! They went the extra mile to make sure I could repair my 87a and all they received was that I bought the half dozen parts from them.

Being inside the 87a let me see first-hand the top-drawer quality with which this amp is built. I don't recommend many things, but I will not hesitate to recommend this amp or RF Concepts. I have seen few things that continue to work as well today as they did 22 years ago when they were first built. But, if I ever need to replace my 87a, RF Concepts will be the only place I look.

WX4B Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Still love it!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Alpha for a couple of years, now, and thought it time I added my kudos to the reviews. When I first received the 87 A, after a great experience with the RF concepts sales people, and opened the two boxes (amp and transformer shipped separately) the quality of construction was obvious just by looking. The installation of the transformer and the setup for operating were straightforward. The amp operates itself and protects itself from operator forgetfulness. I've never regretted spending the money for this Amp.

To me the only less than stellar comment is on the operators manual, which leaves me scratching my head at times. And I consider my self to be of at least average intelligence. This is really a minor drawback as the Amp operates itself.

Trust it. Get one if you can find one. Decades old, still top of the line.