Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 87A Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 87A
Alpha 87A Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6500 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 87A.

WA8VPN Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2012 16:27 Send this review to a friend
This is a great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several amplifiers while being a Ham, but this Alpha 87A really does the job. I have worked all countries and am on the 1 ARRL-DXCC Honor Roll all SSB. I do really like the auto tune and power it produces. I really would want to purchase a new Alpha if something would happen to this one. Gud dx to all and have a happy Christman

VA3AVT Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2012 11:42 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well all I can tell you after some confusion with shipping, the correct amp was finally shipped to me. All I can say is this 87A amp is amazing!!! Tune what? Where? Oh dont touch it. It does it all by is self. SO AWESOME!!!

Full power on all bands.. You guys know the rest.

73s to the Alpha team..

VA3AVT . . . . .. .

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2012 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Still a Standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the old "Click. I just turned on the Alpha" ads, this is what they were talking about. I have owned many other amps - including a couple other Alphas, some solid-state amps, etc - and this thing just rules. It's a total workhorse.

N1CH Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 03:03 Send this review to a friend
The Greatest amp of it's time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the amp for more than 10 years and never had a problem, the tubes were still doing legal limit i had to sell it to pay taxes but i am going to buy another alpha amp.

KD8JPM Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2012 17:38 Send this review to a friend
ALPHA 87A  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
the alpha 87a is a great amp and does what u want it to do no issuses with it tubes are real good and last a long time i run 1500w all the time on it and you cant ask for a better amp 73s KD8JPM keith

KB3OVB Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Awson amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having three other amps none being an Alpha I saw an ad for an Alpha preowned.I got in touch with Molly from RF Concepts who found me an 87A factory reconditioned and with a factory warranty.I have had the amp for over 6 months now and this is the first time I can be heard in a pile up with no problem.This amp is definitely a plug and play amp. All I have to do is turn it on and the amp does all the rest.With about 40 watts drive on most bands I have the legal limit out.I will not be parting with this amp to soon.

K4IKM Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2012 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Best Amp I've Ever Owned!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Alpha 87A in 2004. It's been a freakin' workhorse here for 8 years now. I mainly work DX but 2 years ago got into contesting. As their ads show with the brick on the key, this amp can really pump out the maximum legal limit of RF and never gets wimps out! I've considered upgrading to the 9500 but my 87A just keeps on keeping on.

I also have the Alpha 4510 wattmeter so I can keep tabs on the antennas and keep my 87A happy!

Steve...K4IKM...73!...

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2012 03:52 Send this review to a friend
A Real Bargin for a Quality Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned 5 other amps in the past all were new 4 Amertron's 3 tube type's and a SS one. A Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 that I use with my FTDX-5000MP and my IC-9100 works very well.

Recently added 2 K3's to the station and decided to add another amp after searching for a while I came across the Alpha "RF Concepts" web site and looked at all of there amps. After reading and researching all of them I decided on a refurbished Alpha 87A. They came with a warranty and were a great amp so I ordered it and 3 days later it was on my door step.

When I brought it in and started to install the transformer I couldn't help from being impressed with the quality of the build parts and workmanship. It was nothing like the Ameritrons that I had owned in the past not at all.

Fired it up with my K3 and it hit 1k with 37w of drive nice 48w legal limit and auto band changing and frequency. The AlphaMax software that comes with the amp is really a nice touch as well for real control of the amp.

Must admit so far very impressed with this Alpha amp for sure.

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Used in my remote station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the 87A as my amplifier and the Alpha control software for my remote station. I have Alpha Max installed. Except for loss of down time after a High Voltage spike into the house 12KV, the unit has never gone down.

JH1ILX Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2012 21:07 Send this review to a friend
What a superb linear!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my 87A as pre-owned at the Alpha's website. This is as good as new and working quite well for me. I have Yaesu FL7000 for 500W operation. In compare with FL7000, 87A is very quiet and giving me a very stable operation. 87A is very heavy and it is hard to place on my desk so that it has settled on the floor and used with AlphaRemote. It is perfect and I am enjoying ham radio very much. Thanks Alpha!!