Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | CTR817 - control & logging for the FT-817 on the Pocket PC Help

Reviews Summary for CTR817 - control & logging for the FT-817 on the Pocket PC
CTR817 - control & logging for the FT-817 on the Pocket PC Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $10 (shareware)
Description: Control-the-Radio WinCE 2.11 & Pocket PC software for the Yaesu FT-817. Includes scanning, frequency lists, bandscope, logging, tune button, voice announcement, and more.
More info: http://ku7q.home.att.net

You can write your own review of the CTR817 - control & logging for the FT-817 on the Pocket PC.

VA7CAB Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2005 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Really Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a Pocket PC (IPAQ HX2410) and I have finally found a ham radio product that is just perfect for me and my PPC.

The ability to electronically control the rig is a big plus for my operating style. CTR817 will scan frequencies and present a nifty band map, will allow you to mark stations of interest, and has a built-in logging feature that also allows you to export into an ADIF format (more on that later).

The look and feel is really nice and super easy to navigate throughout all of the "features". They're actually not that many features which is a real plus given the memory limitations of a Pocket PC.

Interfacing was a snap. Before I bought the PPC I did a bunch of research and found out that the best device seemed to be the Ipaqs since their ActiveSync connections allow easy interfacing with serial devices. This is true. A $20 cable from Gomadic arrived today and in about 5 minutes I had CTR817 and the rig all set up and happy.

A couple of small quirks: The ADIF export I tried didn't have the date set so I had to manually enter the QSO time in the ADIF file. Also, the software defaults to the PPC's local time so one must set the PPC to UTC beforehand. Neither of these is a big deal for me because ...

It's free! The great author has decided to make this splendid software freeware. According to the author's web page there is also development going on to make a Bluetooth version and to upgrade the software to be more comapatible with Windows Mobile 2003 (you need to download a VB patch if you want to run it on 2003).

Great job. Now if only there was some RTTY or PSK stuff going for the PPC I could sell my laptop!

73 Chris