Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | HamScope Help

Reviews Summary for HamScope
Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $free
Description: HamScope uses a sound card interface to allow PKS31, RTTY, CW and other digital modes.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/hamscope/

You can write your own review of the HamScope.

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2014 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Basic good for psk31  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this on my XP laptop about two years and haven't used it very much because I use fldigi most of the time. The laptop is almost 9 years old with 2 gigs of RAM. I have XP and LUBUNTU on it. I found that LINUX WINE will open and run HamScope just fine. I'm using a Signalink and it works fine with the program. Radio is a YAESU FT-840, no CAT cable. I guess the point it if you have an old PC, you could consider HamScope if you want to work just the few modes it supports. I think its just fine for those.

W5LRU Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2013 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Frustrated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I downloaded the program and it appears that only the basic program is downloading. The HELP file is downloaded separately and cannot be opened. I think the program probably is good but with no instructions or help files this OM is not enjoying trying "hit and miss" operation.

I don't see any reviews after 2006 so maybe that is why no one is currently using it.

K7NG Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2006 05:44 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using Hamscope receive-only for about two years, and got around to setting up a 'real' digital mode station about six months ago - Hamscope is my main application for PSK, MFSK and (Ham)RTTY. I have never seen anything lacking in these modes. My only issue is that it is not versatile in decoding non-ham RTTY signals, and that there are a lot more new ham digital modes coming around now and Hamscope doesn't do anything with them. A friend hates using Hamscope in CW, but since I wouldn't use anything but my own faculties for CW, his findings don't affect my appreciation of this fine (free) Ham application.

F5RRS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2005 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's my main digimode software. I made 5000 digital QSOs (PSK31/RTTY/MFSK16). Simple and easy to operate.
I use v1.55 on WinXP without any problems (system with 3 soundcards).
A dual receive on RTTY should be fantastic.
Great software !!

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2005 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this S/W for almost 5 years. Does a very good job and it is very stable. Found a couple of quirks when running Windows XP (sometimes you have to close down and open up to change modes)but seems the problem is not HamScope itself but the operating system.

ON4SKY Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2004 04:02 Send this review to a friend
With it, it is no more necessary to know CW !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,

Glen Hansen, KD5HIO, developed this application (2.2 MB) from WinPSK written by Moe Wheatley, AE4JY.

This is a multi-mode decoder for CW, RTTY, PSK31, MFSK16, FEC, and packet. It comes with a complete help and can be interfaced with MMRTTY in option. It provides interfaces for several ICOM, Ten-Tec, Kenwood, and Yaesu transceiver and also decodes .WAV files stored on disk.

The main screen is divided in three main panes, sent, receive and a scope showing either the spectrum, waterfall, input signal or data synch. You can automatically send a CQ sequence or a tune.
You can manually set the decoding speed or ask the program to find it itself. You can also adjust the gain, the receive and transmit frequencies.

Hamscope decodes well some QRM with the signal but globally you can work a station in CW via your keyboard without knowledge of the Morse code. It is of course better suited to digital modes that it decodes without the least error or almost.

Only drawback, HamScope is unable to extract a weak or a very slow signal lost in the noise and the decoded text is displayed with a small font (Arial size 8 or so).

HamScope is today at version 1.54 and is designed to run on Windows 98 and NT equipped with a sound card but it runs perfectly under Windows XP and ME as well.

Hope this helps

Thierry

K0LTB Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Top quality, zero price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried numerous digital-communications programs, both free and commercial. I've run side-by-side tests to compare the ability of programs to decode signals in noisy and crowded conditions. Hamscope's built-in decoders always rank at or near the top. It uses MMTTY to decode RTTY, and again ranks right at the top in that mode. I find it easier to use MMTTY via the Hamscope interface. Bottom line: Hamscope is a do-it-all digital program. Before you pay for a commercial program, test it against Hamscope.

KE0VH Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2003 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Best program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I too have worked with Glen and really enjoy his program. Simple to set up and all functions are great. I have run it on everything from a P90 to now a Win2K PII 266. It is my workhorse digital mode software. How he has time to write something like this for the price (FREE!!) is incredible and I really appreciate it for those of use who have to do the hobby low budget. I made a homemade interface too out of a couple of opto-isolators and a project box. Really simple and you can email me at ke0vh@yahoo.com if you would like to have the plans.
73' Jack KE0VH

AG5T Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2002 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Super - even on cw!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this is one of the best software ham radio software programs I've seen. You can switch modes in a matter of seconds - from cw to rtty to mfsk16 to psk31 (and other modes!). Although it's probably better to work cw the old-fashioned way, I will admit I have used hamscope to work some cw contacts. Some of the interesting things I've come across on hamscope are - watching a split cw pileup - you can see the dx station on the waterfall and then see the pileup to the right (usually 1 up). Sometimes you can see the stations bunched up in the pileup and if it's not too big you can count approximately how many are calling (you can also see who isn't operating split and those send up up up - hi). If the pileup is really big you can see the spread across the band. The waterfall also shows the approximate strength of the cw stations to your operating location. For instance you might see a solid large line for a W1 station and a very very faint line for a JA station working the rare dx. I think it might even be possible to use hamscope to copy cw and use a keyer or memory keyer to send. In any case, I find it fascinating to actually watch the dx split operation on my screen. If you happen to come across someone sending cw digitally and it's a strong signal, you can probably copy almost everything. We all know that no computer can copy hand-sent cw perfectly, but you can't beat this software for giving it a try. As for the other hamscope modes, I have had good success with rtty - just remember you will be on usb and tune a little differently. A good way to check is to use another great program called mmtty and tune in with your rig on lsb - then tune in with hamscope and make a note of the difference in frequency. Or, Glen, KD5HIO, has even provided a reverse polarity function if you prefer lsb. One of the things I like about the rtty function is the double lines. If you are in a contest and want to call cq, you can locate a spot in between stations if there is enough room. Also might be a good way to find an opening if you are trying to work rare dx or a dxpedition that's operating split. If you need to, you can go into the mmtty program and experiment with the settings, as well as the hamscope settings, to see if it will help copy weaker stations. PSK31 is great, as well as MFSK16. I also use Digipan for PSK31 and enjoy using both. The only problem I've had with hamscope is that sometimes when I try to transmit cw, I will get the message that my soundcard is already in use or sometimes an illegal operation. I have an older computer with an older sound card, so I think I may need more memory. Glen also suggested a newer sound card driver. Maybe both would help. So it's not the fault of the software, you just need to remember to turn off other programs and your screen saver and you will probably get better results. I have my favorite ham radio programs on the task bar at the bottom of the screen - these are hamscope, mmtty, digipan, W6EL prop and dx monitor - the ones I like the best.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Sep 24, 2002 14:59 Send this review to a friend
works for MFSK16  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Used this program to get on MFSK16, which is a great mode! The waterfall is a little difficult to learn to tune on this mode, but with some practice you get pretty good at it. Did make one PSK QSO with it, but Digipan seems to be much easier to use. The bonus with Hamscope, though, is that you get several modes with one program, including CW. I only give it a 4 because it now has decided that my 120mhz processor is too slow-when it was OK before. Don't know what that is about, but hope to get it fixed soon so I can get back on MFSK16. Considering the cost (free) what more could you want?