Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7400 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7400
Yaesu FT-7400 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 430-450 MHz FM Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7400.

N7RFG Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2011 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio in 1998 on a close-out from HRO and place it in my closet. I recently (2011) decided to take it out of the closet, changed the battery, and put it in service. WoooW nice radio. This head sink could take a hit from a 22WMR and not even phase it. It has CTCSS (no DCS), 31 memories, and spits out 40 watts. I wish I had a better memory because I would have used this radio many years ago..... What a treat.

G1YGJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2009 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: months
Bought mine used many years ago.
One display light has gone and I've not got round to changing it.
Replaced the memory back-up battery once.
The tuning dial isn't good, jumps erratically from frequency to frequency, usually the wrong one. Tuning is done via up-down buttons on mic.
Only used in shack.
I love it!

K1FW Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 13:00 Send this review to a friend
A brick for the ages...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had an FT-7400H for almost 15 years. (I have also owned an FT-2400H, the 2M twin of this rig, for which I have also written a nearly identical review here, for about as long.) The rig is built like a brick, and it inspires confidence that it will never, ever let me down.

The receiver is simply solid (both sensitive and selective). The transmitter seems to work very nicely (whether from home or on the road). Frequency selection and memory selection are quite intuitive (although on-the-fly tone selection for repeaters not already in memory is a bit of a nuisance when mobile in the car).

The only thing I have ~never~ cared for at all with this rig is the MH-27 microphone. Although my hands are not overly large, the mike has always felt too small and too light - I'd've preferred something a bit more substantial. In addition, I find using the freq-up/freq-down tune/scan buttons on the top of the mike without also accidentally triggering the PTT switch does take a bit of care (and I don't think one should have to ~think~ about a mike in order to use it). But, I have no complaints about the brick attached to the ~other~ end of the mike cord...

I recently did have to replace the memory battery, and found that to be a bit of a pain for my old eyes (it's soldered in place by its tabs behind the front panel, with a little square of double-sided foam tape for additional support). However, while I griped at first about having to go to so much trouble just to replace a simple memory battery, I reminded myself that the ease of replacement that a spring-mounted battery holder might have provided might also make for a battery which could be "bounced" out of place by mechanical shock - it could be that a transceiver built to military specs might require something more dependable (?). In any event, the folks at the Yaesu/Vertex parts department (714-827-7600) provided the battery fairly cheaply and quite quickly (it's part number Q9000552 and cost $3.67 in late 2008).

I guess I might wish (but more for the 2400 on 2M than for the 7400 on 70cm) that the unit had a few more memories at times, but, to be honest, I don't really need them as badly as I might claim I do. [More importantly, I just wish I knew which software could be used for programming the 7400 from a PC (does anyone know?).]

So, I am hoping that my FT-7400H will go on forever, and it does give me the feeling that it just might. Heck, maybe it'll even outlast its owner (I'm not really hoping for that, though -

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2007 10:42 Send this review to a friend
BULLET PROOF FRONT END  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has be on for 13 years 24/7. It has had the bulbs replaced 3 times & that's been the only problem ever. It never gets intermod, & has always been a pleasure to use. Except for taking it to my friend's to replace the bulbs, it has never been off. Replaced the memory battery 2 years ago. I wish radios were made this way now, but I realize this radio is a clone af a Yaesu commercial radio. To quote Icom,"simply the best". GARY N4KVE

KG8Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Solid , Feels like a commercial rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned the 2meter version back in the early 90's and should have never sold it . This one is just the same .Solid , easy to use ,no nonsense. I like that the buttona aren't super micro . Makes a nice shack rig .

DG8JZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2005 12:28 Send this review to a friend
very well for packet radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I total agree the other review before - a special UHF radio, no intermods - just nothing. Very good for packet radio etc.
I love the simple radio

NI6G Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2002 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Bullet-Proof Front End  Time owned: more than 12 months
The receiver is absolutely intermod free. There have been no problems whatsoever with local high power commercial paging services, etc. It has a very tight front end and excellent sensitivity. I enjoy the fact that it covers the 70 centimeter ham band only with no frills. If I wanted a scanner, I'd buy a scanner. Manufacturers take note!