Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2710 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2710
Icom IC-2710 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $450
Description: 2m/70cm Dual Band Mobile Radio
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-2710h.html

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2710.

NI8E Rating: 3/5 May 31, 2009 21:00 Send this review to a friend
I got help  Time owned: more than 12 months
About a year after my original post about this radio, a guy sent me the repair procedure for the PA problem. After fixing the PA, he suggested turning down the output to about 45 watts. So far, so good.
The PA was poorly designed for running 50 watts. when it fails there is a heavy duty solder trace that looked like it had been hit with a hatchet. Heating and cooling caused it to break.
The overall function of the radio is good, I love the VHF/VHF capability.
The mic was hot, but Icom sent the needed surface mount components with instructions to fix it.
It has been a couple of years since the last repair and it is still working in my truck.

IZ1FKS Rating: 2/5 Nov 13, 2007 05:02 Send this review to a friend
strange s-meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for many years but i noticed a strange s-meter reading. i see that one receiver is different from the other one:if i put the same 2 meter repeater frequency of my local area on the 2 receiver the right s-meter shows about 2 points more than the left one. i thinks it's not very normal. For the 430MHz is the same with receivers inverted!
this radio is good for voice operation but don't have a stabilized low frequency pin for packet operation so no packet ops easily possible not even 1200baud. Serius limitation! Vy good mic remote ops.

KB8QID Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2007 09:59 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for about 10 years. I have never had any problems with it. Nothing has burnt out on it, nothing has stopped working, it's just a great radio. It says that it won't cross band repeat, but it will with no mod needed, just holding some buttons. I use the CBR all the time. If you want a good radio that is going to last, snag up one of these, you will be happy you did.

NI8E Rating: 1/5 Jun 4, 2005 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Power output failer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will be sending my IC2710 in for the second time for the 2 meter power output block to be replaced.
The antenna is at 1.2:1 across the band.
Two PAs in two years, not good.
I used to be a fan of Icom.
Fritz

KE4RWS Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2002 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased one of these dual banders used on Ebay. I was in the market for a top of the line dual band mobile with certain features, and the IC-2710H seemed to have what I was looking for so I decided to give it a try. I was in need of a dual bander that was capable of receiving two VHF or two UHF frequencies at the same time, be capable of cross band repeat operation, and have the control head remoteable from the transceiver. After locating one on Ebay I was fortunate enough to win the auction. My 2710 came with the front panel remote kit so I was able to install it right away. The only other option I am in need of at this time is the UT-104 CTCSS tone decode module. I'll have to pick one up later.

Aftre receiving the radio I was able to play with it in the shack for a couple days before mounting it in the vehicle. While having it in the shack I was immediately impressed with the design and overall quality of this radio. I've owned many other brands and models over the years, and the Icom 2710 was a lot of fun right from the start. I tested the 2710 in various areas of use over the first two days and had very good results in all areas.

The display was clear and easy to read. It did not appear to be jumbled with a lot of unneccesary information. It had contained all the information neccessary to operate the radio and displayed all pertinent information about the radio.

The controls were easy to read, and I was able to ascertain which controls did what without having to read through the entire manual first (although it helps in some cases). The controls are laid out uniformly and were easy to understand.

The microphone took some getting used to, as the the radio can be controlled from the mic. There are a various assortment of buttons on the mic which control nearly ever function and feature on the radio. This required some reading to learn exactly what these buttons do, but I found no problem in quickly learning how to use this handy microphone. It DOES take some getting used to though! The microphone connector is an RJ45 type, so you can use a standard CAT5 cable if you want to extend the length. I was glad to see this type of connector used since I have lots of these cables on hand. Icom didn't do any funky wire switching in their cable (which some manufactueres do), so any CAT5 cable will do. Just make sure you don't use a crossover patch!

I required a radoi which was capable of receiving two frequencies in the same band (VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF), and the 2710 does this quite nicely. It was easy to place the radio in and out of this mode, and it works quite well too. The benefits of this feature are quite obvious.

Another requirement I had was the cross band repeat function. Although it wasn't documented in teh manual (something Icom is famous for), the 2710 does cross band repeat very well. This was a concern of mine because I've had other radio's which had this feature, but it worked liked doo-doo in some units. I'm happy to report the cross band function in teh 2710 works flawlessly. One thing that would've been helpful though is a one-way cross band repeat feature. This is especially usefull when you can hear the repeater on your H/T, but just can't hit it directly. This way your mobile only has to repeat your signal to the repeater, but not the other way around. It saves your mobile rig from having to do double-duty on the transmitter. But heck, I'm just elated it has cross band repeat and it works perfectly!

The 2710 has 100 memories per band (200 total). This is plently of channels for just about anyone I believe. Another useful feature would have been to split the channels up into "banks" such as in a scanner. But again, the radio works very well just the way it is. One can utilize the channel "skip" feature to lockout any channels you don't want in the scan lineup. The scan rate is quite a bit faster than in ealier Icom mobiles. I was happy to see this feature had been improved upon as well.

The 2710 is capable of having it receive (and TX) extended quite a bit. AFter expansion, my total receive ability was 118-174 MHz, 320-479 MHz, and 849-950 MHz (with the usual cellular phone block of course. I mean, God forbid if we were to overhear someone order a pizza or something). Receive in the extended ranges was very good, including the 800-900 MHz area. ANother nice feature is the radio's ability to automatically switch to AM receive in the 118-137 MHz aircraft range. I'm not sure about the 300 MHz range since I didn't actually verify that area for AM reception. Receive in the amateur bands was extremely good. When compared to my Yaesu FT-100D it had slightly better receive using the same coax and antenna. Beyond that, I can't test it any more indeph than that.

The radio has a healthy heatsink built around it. The rear of the radio has a small heatsink protruding from it, but the entire top and side surfaces are comprised of a heatsink as well. Not an extremely deep sink mind you, but every little bit helps. The radio has a built-in cooling fan in the rear which runs during transmit, and for two minutes after dekey (unless you trasmit again within the two minute period, then it continues for another two minutes. There is a menu function which allows you to make the fan run continuous no matter what. I opted to have mine run continuous for those long keydowns. I did notice the radio operates a little warmer than I prefer, which is why I had the cooling fan run continuous, just to be safe.

I checked the RF output using a dummy load. On VHF the 2710 had an output of 5,10 & 50 watts. UHF measured 5,10 & 35 watts, as per the specifications.

The bottom line on this radoi (in my opinion) is that it's a top of the line radio. It performs extremely well in every aspect I could test it in, and it performs better than I hoped it would. I would recommend to anyone that this is an excellent radio for either the shack or mobile use. It appears to be extremely well built and designed. Once I've owned it for at least six months I'll report again on my findings.