Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-1000(D) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000(D)
Yaesu FT-1000(D) Reviews: 117 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $4000.00
Description: 200W HF allmode transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000(D).

AF5CC Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2016 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Still top of the line!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is big. Really big! It makes the Icom 756 it replaced look like a mobile rig, and my Icom 706 look like an HT.

If you are a ham who hates menus (I am not one) this is a rig for you. There aren't any menus. None! The closest it comes is to pressing a couple of keys while turning it on to see the ROM number. Since it doesn't use menus it has an interesting way of doing certain things-you set the CW offset by flipping dip switches. Not the easiest thing to do, but I guess that is one of those set and forget things.

I have owned around 45 different models of HF rigs. Some several times-I think I counted 15 different times I had a Yaesu FT100D. Most have have been lower end rigs, but I have had a few competition grade radios like the Kenwood TS950SDX, TS950, and TS850, Yaesu FT1000MP and FT990, and Icom 756PRO2. I picked up a Yaesu FT1000 around 3 weeks ago and it is quickly moving to the top of my favorite rigs list. It is as good or better than those other competition grade radios I have owned.

Everything people say about the receiver is true. I ran it in the ARRL SSB DX contest recently and I never saw any desense or IMD products generated in the receiver, and that was with the Preamp on. I don't have big monoband antennas at high heights but I was running gain antennas and conditions on 15 were outstanding. Signals were very loud, and the FT1000 handled them with ease. I just have the 2.4khz SSB filters in each IF and between the Width and IF Shift controls never had a problem with isolating a station admist the QRM. Another local ham and myself often talk about how great the slope tuning is on the Kenwood TS850 and TS950, and the Width control on the FT1000 is every bit as good. Much better than Icom's recent PBT tuning controls (the PBT was very good on the Icom 720A). On CW the APF peak filter really works nicely to help bring signals up out of the noise.

This rig does dual receive better than most of the others also. You can split receiver audio by ear, you have a separate VFO control knob for each receiver, and each receiver can be on different bands, modes, and filter widths. This makes busting split frequency pileups much easier than having a single receiver, and it is nice to leave one receiver on the county hunters net frequency while tuning around working DX on 17 or 15 meters with the other receiver. Picked up quite a few new counties recently that way. I tried doing limited SO2R tuning each receiver on different bands during a contest, and I sure need more practice with that!

With the exception of 1 contest where I borrowed and amp, and another one where I guest operated from N0EL (now a SK) station, I have always run 100 watts. The 3DB gain this provides sure seems to make a difference. In the SSB DX contest I got many more stations on the first call than I normally do. The audio really seems to have a punch to it on SSB. I have it paired up with a Shure 444D mic and I frequently get reports on the audio. I am much more of a CW operator, but in the recent Oklahoma QSO party I had a 77 QSO run in 30 minutes on 20 SSB. Never done anything like that before. The processor seems to ad some punch to the transmit audio without causing distortion.

The tuner works fast and pretty well. It loaded my 15 meter Moxon on 20 meters the other day when I forgot to flip the antenna switch.

The FT1000 was pretty easy to get on the digital modes as well. There is a 1/8" jack for fixed level audio out, and a phono plug labelled "phone patch" for audio in. Did a little soldering of one cable a few mornings ago and I was on RTTY. I still have to manual switch the rig into transmit when doing the digital modes, but there is a PTT phono plug in the rear which I might try to wire up a footswitch to, or find a way for a USB jack to send the rig in transmit from the netbook.

If I had to pick something I didn't like, the best I can come up with is the IF Shift control. Instead of being free turning with a center detent, it is detented all the way around, so you have to look at it to see if it is centered or not,you can't just do it by feel. That is pretty minor, though, and if that is the biggest problem with a rig, then it is a great rig!

What others have said is true-this rig just feels like a high precision instrument. All of the knobs tune smoothly, the VFO knob has just the perfect weight to it, the S meter is so smooth and just looks right when you are receiving or transmitting. Everything about this rig says QUALITY!

It was a top of the line rig 25 years ago, and it still is today. You can find these for excellent prices today, don't pass it up.
W3DVE Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2016 07:23 Send this review to a friend
doesn't get any better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All i can say if you see a 1000 at a decent price, buy will keep it for a life time
KC7MF Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2015 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Nothing But quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok. Before I begin to fawn over this radio let me set something straight. Yaesu still has a page dedicated to the FT-1000D. It has a link to "packages". On this page it says this:

FT-1000D 200 Watt HF Transceiver w/ XF-A, XF-B, XF-C, YF-110C, YF-110CN, BPF-1 and TCXO-1

Now. Wasn't that easy? So many experts.

This is a special radio. It is a beautifully made piece of equipment. The receive is excellent. I have AB tested it against my Icom 756Pro and it is every bit as sensitive. The Icom has more features and DSP but there is something about the receive audio from the Yaesu that makes it the one I turn on when I just want to listen. Even the internal speaker is very nice.

This radio is analog all of the way. I find that restful. Once you get to know this radio you can really find the sweet spot under just about any conditions.

I get excellent audio reports from this radio. You can get carried away with the drive if you are not careful and at 200 watts it will wail on an amplifier if you are not careful. I find I rarely need more than 200 watts unless I am doing my net control duties.

The dual receive is super. Diversity great fun. The filters are clean and allow me to zone in on the faint ones quite nicely.

So is it better than the best modern machines? Not really. But it holds its own with them in most cases. It is like a Rolex watch. It does not tell time better but the joy of owning something so beautiful is its own reward. If you find a good one buy it. Mine is not for sale. And probably never will be.

DO5ST Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2014 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I buying my first FT1000 about twenty years ago.
Before i used Collins and Drake eqipment
The FT1000 was my main eqipment for more than 10 years,
a wonderful radio.
In 2002 a get a new FT 1000 Mark V and my old FT 1000
was in a corner of my shack.
Last year i sold it full equiped for 1200 to a friend of mine.
After he left my shack with the transceiver i know it was a big
mistake.Today i bought a magnificent FT 1000D for 1900
from a amateur 200 miles away.
I will not live without this great radio.
M0KKW Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2014 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had this a month or so.Just done the W8JI NB mod. Fantastic reciever with all the facilities and performance I wanted.
Having a completely separate 2nd reciever, with performance like the main, makes things so easy and diversity reception is very useful.
The later FT1000MP,MKV and Field seem cheaply constructed in comparison and I very much prefer the recieved audio of the 1000D.
This is a definite "keeper" in my book, like the FT990.
G0FVT Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Still Going!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my FT1000D for many years now although it has not been in continuous use.
Mine has all of the makers options in addition to the W8JI noise blanker mod and the Inrad roofing filter. The radio remains a pleasure to use and although mine has not gone wrong they are not too grim to work on. (I have done a few repairs on a friends fleet of them).
The SSB transmit gets compliments, I always run a little processing and use the drive control to limit the power, the RF power control I leave fully clockwise.
The main receiver could probably do with different AGC characteristics and the notch filter is possibly a bit wide. I have not done the mods to switch the receive paths around.. however it is difficult to understand what Yaesu had in mind with that. The cooling fan would also be far less annoying if it never stopped.
I love this radio, it works very well and unlike many other rigs it actually feels solid.
N8TI Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Best ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was a brand new ham, in 1992, my first rig was a FT-101Z. About six months later I got my FT-1000D. After all these years my only complaint is that it makes hamming too easy. It can hear anything and it's 200 watts gives that extra punch for every day QSO's. The antenna tuner would tune a wet noodle. I have a multi band dipole I built that is really not my finest moment. SWR is all over the place. This radio tunes it without a problem.

It has caused me to buy older radios to fool with in order to up the challenge of making contacts. My beloved TS-520 is one that I use a lot just to give myself a break from perfection. The FT-1000D is like San Diego weather, perfect every day. The only reason why someone would sell this radio is because it makes things too easy. If you have not used one, you are missing out.
ZS1PI Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 22:25 Send this review to a friend
FT100d & FL2100Z  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FT1kD for the past 7 years if not more and have worked many stations with the baby. Recently I had it serviced and just checked out, and since it came back with the replacements of a few components it;s working even better with 280W output on SSB. I have also just coupled up my FL2100Z and it is currently driven with +/- 80W form the radio and +/- 750W out of the FL2100Z.

I would love to hear from other users who have the same combination.
73 From Cape Town South Africa.

Errol ZS1Pi
KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely amazing given the radios age  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a clean, used FT-1000D a few years ago. Once I tweaked and squeaked all of the settings to perfection, this radio started to sing better than Pavarotti himself.

The display and user interface are laid out in such a way that all options are easily accessed.

I primarily chase CW DX, and this rig makes it so easy it should be illegal. Split RX options are extremely fast and simple. The dual VFOs operate as almost an extension of your body.

The built in keyer is excellent, as are the filtering options.

If you get the opportunity to get a functioning 1000D, JUMP ON IT. Great rig that many newer rigs cannot even hold a candle to.
N7WR Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
A long story. Back in the late '80's I served as a member of the Yaesu Advisory Team created to give them input from different hams with different interests. We were given a one time opportunity to purchase any piece of Yaesu gear we wanted at factory cost with the condition that we could not sell it for 2 years. I opted to buy the FT 1000D loaded with all accessories.

For 8 years it was my dream rig. Unfortunately a financial situation not of my making required me to sell it. Since then I have owned a number of rigs, some with much newer technology than the 1000D but none of them a top of the line rig.

I have been continually seeking another pristine 1000D to buy as a keep forever rig and thanks to K4WM I recently found one that looks like it just left the factory. Absolutely mint and with the receiver I remembered. IMO the receiver makes the radio and even though it lacks some modern features it handles crowded bands, qrn and qrm perfectly. Signals just seem to pop out of the background and are a pleasure to listen to. Can't add any more than to say I am really glad I found one in such outstanding condition.