Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000(D) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000(D)
Yaesu FT-1000(D) Reviews: 111 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $4000.00
Description: 200W HF allmode transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft1000d.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000(D).

N8TI Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2014 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Best ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was a brand new ham, in 1992, my first rig was a FT-101Z. About six months later I got my FT-1000D. After all these years my only complaint is that it makes hamming too easy. It can hear anything and it's 200 watts gives that extra punch for every day QSO's. The antenna tuner would tune a wet noodle. I have a multi band dipole I built that is really not my finest moment. SWR is all over the place. This radio tunes it without a problem.

It has caused me to buy older radios to fool with in order to up the challenge of making contacts. My beloved TS-520 is one that I use a lot just to give myself a break from perfection. The FT-1000D is like San Diego weather, perfect every day. The only reason why someone would sell this radio is because it makes things too easy. If you have not used one, you are missing out.

ZS1PI Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 22:25 Send this review to a friend
FT100d & FL2100Z  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FT1kD for the past 7 years if not more and have worked many stations with the baby. Recently I had it serviced and just checked out, and since it came back with the replacements of a few components it;s working even better with 280W output on SSB. I have also just coupled up my FL2100Z and it is currently driven with +/- 80W form the radio and +/- 750W out of the FL2100Z.

I would love to hear from other users who have the same combination.
73 From Cape Town South Africa.

Errol ZS1Pi

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely amazing given the radios age  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a clean, used FT-1000D a few years ago. Once I tweaked and squeaked all of the settings to perfection, this radio started to sing better than Pavarotti himself.

The display and user interface are laid out in such a way that all options are easily accessed.

I primarily chase CW DX, and this rig makes it so easy it should be illegal. Split RX options are extremely fast and simple. The dual VFOs operate as almost an extension of your body.

The built in keyer is excellent, as are the filtering options.

If you get the opportunity to get a functioning 1000D, JUMP ON IT. Great rig that many newer rigs cannot even hold a candle to.

N7WR Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
A long story. Back in the late '80's I served as a member of the Yaesu Advisory Team created to give them input from different hams with different interests. We were given a one time opportunity to purchase any piece of Yaesu gear we wanted at factory cost with the condition that we could not sell it for 2 years. I opted to buy the FT 1000D loaded with all accessories.

For 8 years it was my dream rig. Unfortunately a financial situation not of my making required me to sell it. Since then I have owned a number of rigs, some with much newer technology than the 1000D but none of them a top of the line rig.

I have been continually seeking another pristine 1000D to buy as a keep forever rig and thanks to K4WM I recently found one that looks like it just left the factory. Absolutely mint and with the receiver I remembered. IMO the receiver makes the radio and even though it lacks some modern features it handles crowded bands, qrn and qrm perfectly. Signals just seem to pop out of the background and are a pleasure to listen to. Can't add any more than to say I am really glad I found one in such outstanding condition.

KB1PDG Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 08:07 Send this review to a friend
KEEPER!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been my only rig since 2007 when I bought it off of ebay. Can't imagine any new rig having a better receiver. I hear people complaining all the time with newer rigs about high noise levels that I just don't hear on the ft1000d. The internal tuner works well with my 80 meter windom and IMAX 2000. If you like non menu radios this is the one to try and get your hands on.

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 03:15 Send this review to a friend
Still the best of the best.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After i sold my first FT1000D ,sn 0L00058 (1990), i bought 2 years later one of the very latest units, 0M760003 (2000) which i upgraded with Inrad-IF filters and the roofingfilter.
Standard IF-filtering is not so good as the Inradfilters.
In combination with the Timewave SP5-DSP59Y speaker is it a very nice setup.
When you work with the FT1000(D) , the controls feeling not cheap.
Don't sell your FT1000D because i regretted when i sold the first unit.
When you buy a FT1000D,check this because some sellers are saying too fast it's a "D" version.
My second FT1000D can you see on : http://www.pa3hgt.nl/Y2K.html and enjoy it !
Before i bought my first FT1000D , i tried the FT1000MP and the MK5 but after a use of 3 days each i sold them,You come home with the FT1000D.

73,PA3HGT
www.pa3hgt.nl

ZL1CDP Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Wow... still amazes me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So having owned 3 x FT-1000 (D)'s in the past, I decided recently to purchase another one. It simply amazes me how great the RX and TX of this radio is (still) after 20 years since manufacturing the rig.

Just brilliant... I won't repeat all of the great functionality and features as they are well documented.

Purely brilliant and an absolute joy to use.

Chris,
ZL1CDP

WN6V Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 18:11 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate HF radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find some of the reviews humorous ... I bought mine new, Ser: ON770009, in March 2002 from HRO in Portland, Oregon, USA. I have been thinking about changing to an FT-2000D and every time I do my contacdt at HRO Portland asks me "why?" Now, why I chose to write a comment was because a ham in one of the reviews said no radios came from Vertex/Yaesu as a "D" model. Well, on the back of mine is a decal reading Vertex/Yaesu FT-100D although the front panel says FT-1000. My warranty card from Yaesu also says FT-1000D. Interesting, yes? But, HRO is right ... why change out the radio? Yes, I do not have the new 60m channels, but then I have them on my FT-857 in my Chevy truck and never hear any transmissions on them ... at that, since I first got my amateur license in 1981 (N6KGI) in San Diego and then upgraded to WN6V in 1983 all I have ever operated is CW (I was a submarine radioman in the US NAVY and CW came easy)... first on an FT-102 until I got the FT-1000D. I may never upgrade the radio until I hear there is a better radio (of course I'd like an FT-9000, but can't afford it!)

WA0ZZG Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2011 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Last BoatAnchor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio several years. Purchased it as a fixer-upper. It had been used as a CB radio. This radio is the last of the 'big iron'. You won't find that type of linear power supply, analog filtering, and ducted cooling in a modern radio. Recommend a copy of the service manual to any owner. This will be the last HF radio you will have a good chance of maintaining yourself. Having the additional filtering of the 'D' version is nice and is highly recommended. How it became a 'D' is not important. Expect to do some cleaning of the cooling system and some modifications or upgrades. Learn about Inrad. Learn how to set up diversity reception. I like CW in stereo. The headphone jack is stereo and is set up for 32 to 56 ohm headphones. Not eight ohm headphones. The linear supply isn't that efficient and works better on a 220V line. Your operating table won't be blowing away, this one weighs sixty pounds, and no handle. I like the in-out feature of the keyer speed control knob that's not mentioned anywhere. This radio is like purchasing an old painting done by a major artist. It's a work of art, but it's still old and takes some caring for. Every ham in the world knows what the numbers 1000D mean, and having one doesn't suck.
Dave WA0ZZG

AA6VB Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2011 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Trip Down Memory Lane  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an FT1000 in 1991 and installed all options except the BFP-1 and the TCXO. Kept the radio for 16 years. It worked flawlessly and I never had any sort of failure.

The rig had a couple of annoying issues, which I lived with, including the fact the NB created distortion when engaged, and the blocking dynamic range was poor. There were many times when I was trying to work a weak station only to hear it "disappear" when another station, close by, caused the rig to "desense". This, to me, was the real weak point of the radio. I did not find the IMD issue to be a problem, especially after installing the Inrad roofing filter and the W8JI mods. All in all I liked the rig a lot, which is why I kept it for such a long time.

On a final note, Yaesu did NOT ship all FT1000s to the dealers who then upgraded certain rigs to a "D" version. Yaesu shipped FT1000s and FT1000Ds, in factory sealed boxes, and the end user installed any desired options.

Good rig, but has its weak points (as most do).

Bob/AA6VB