Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000(D) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000(D)
Yaesu FT-1000(D) Reviews: 111 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $4000.00
Description: 200W HF allmode transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft1000d.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000(D).

W1EY Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 07:14 Send this review to a friend
"Factory" FT-1000D Tops!  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have had 2 FT-1000's one and upgraded 1000 and one a "factory" D. I disagree with W2NER's assertion that there were NO "factory" D's. I talked to a customer rep at Yaesu in Cypress, CA and he confirmed that there WERE D's from their source. True there was no serial number differentiation, but the factory 1000's had a TCXO installed, while the D's had a TCXO1. My "upgraded" 1000 had the TCXO (not the 1) and the rep said it was not an original D. My later "original" D had everthing it should (including the "1" and the BFP1) and ALSO had a factory stamped box with a "D"! Although my D was an early 1991, the late versions did have the face ID plate showing 1000D.

It is true a dealer "could" update a 1000 to "D" status, it DOES NOT mean that ALL "D"'s were sourced in that manner. You can verify my comments in the first paragraph with Yaesu in CA if you wish.

My 1000D was truly the best constructed and operating Transceiver I have owned. The receiver was tops and transmit clean. Although missing some of the later digital advances, it must be rated in the time it was designed and produced. Therefore it is definitely a "5".

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 05:59 Send this review to a friend
I love this radio...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just sold my FT-990 and got a FT-1000 with the stability option (TCX01). I changed the SSB filters over to INRAD 2.8's and moved the 2.4's over to the 2.0 position. I love this radio! Receive is the best I have ever had and I have had many including the FT1000MP Mark V. The misconception I have noticed about the FT-1000's is, with the exception of the options BFP1 (to make it true dual receive), TCXO1(stability option), XF-B, XF-C, XF-D and XF-E (filters), the FT-1000 and FT-1000D are exactly the same in every detail. Yaesu never shipped a FT-1000D, the dealer installed these options. So, It bugs me when I see listings for FT-1000D's for sale with the statements "a real FT-1000D not upgraded". That's horse poop!! Every FT-1000D was shipped as a FT-1000 and UPGRADED to a "D" at the dealer.

If you find a FT-1000 or the "D", grab it! If your not into CW, a FT-1000 with INRAD SSB filters can't be beat!

K7FDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2011 01:07 Send this review to a friend
A Radio for the Ham who Loves Radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My humble opinion: if you don't like the 1000D, you don't like transceivers.

I sat on the fence about six months before buying a clean used example; that was six months too long.

The receiver is flat amazing. Cutting back the RF gain results in the over-used descriptor "signals rise out of the noise."

I've obsessively compared the 1000D to my TS-590S for several weeks. The 590S does much more, and the noise reduction is very nice. However, I keep going back to the 1000D, and feel the receiver is significantly better.

The 1000D has selectivity equal to that of the 590S, but is less troubled by QRM. For whatever reason, one just does not "hear" the QRM to the same degree. Also, the 1000D NEVER goes into blocking. It's truly amazing.

The transmitter is a work of art. One can precisely adjust the power output, and there is no ALC overshoot. The processor is perfect, and it drives an amplifier to perfection.

Working DX is a pleasure. Signals that barely wiggle the meter with the RF gain cut back sound crystal clear.

It's not modern or complex. It's not as flexible as the latest DSP rigs. However, it works to near perfection. If there is a better analog rig, I want to HEAR it. It's work the risk of repair (or non-repair) to own one.

A radio for the Ham who love radios.

P.S. Mine is bone stock; no mods.

K7YNO Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2011 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio - Easy To Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two mint condx FT-1000D's, one since new in 1992. I use one only for digital modes, the other for SSB and CW.

I blew out the pre-driver transistors in one of them by running too much power on PSK into a poor SWR (100-watts max is OK into a good load in constant carrier modes). Easy to disassemble, diagnose and replace the blown transistor pair. Works perfectly again.

Recently had the mic audio stop working on my SSB rig. Downloaded a service manual and after one hour of diagnosing found a PCB trace with many layer changes (that powers the mic preamp) had failed open (probably a marginally plated via); added a jumper wire and it works perfectly again. I am happy that these rigs are nicely modular, making them easy to troubleshoot and repair.

With a Heil DX-4 cartridge the Tx audio is very effective. Having up to 200-watts output is very helpful for driving big linears.

W3FW Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2011 10:34 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST OF THE BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I SEARCHED FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS AND WAS FINALLY FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO FIND A LATE(YEAR 2000)FT-1000D,VIRTUALLY NIB AND THE CASE WAS NEVER OPENED. I HAVE OPERATED ALL OF THE $12K TRANSCEIVERS. THE 1000D BEATS THEM ALL IN SENSITIVITY & SELECTIVITY. RECEVED SIGNALS ARE EXTREMELY CLEAR AND AUDIBLE. IT RESIDES RIGHT NEXT TO MY LATE FT-1000 MARK V FIELD,LOADED WITH ALL OF THE INRAD FILTERS,AND THE 1000D IS ALWAYS EASILY THE WINNER. IT WAS BUILT TO MILITARY SPECIFICATIONS AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER BE DUPLICATED. IT IS BUILT LIKE A TANK AND IT IS IN A CLASS BY ITSELF. IT IS ONE OF MY MOST PRIZED POSSESSIONS. NOW,IF I COULD ONLY FIND TWO MINT MATCHING SP-5 SPEAKERS,IN THE FACTORY BOXES,MY FT-1000D WOULD BE EVEN MORE OF A HAPPY CAMPER.

WA9CWX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2010 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Great radio if you appreciate quality.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 1000 in 1991, after being impressed by the FT-one I had owned for 6 years prior. I like well built gear, something that has permanence and integrity as the undercurrent of the manufacturing process.
Since that time I have looked at, used, and considered other high end rigs. Nothing strikes me as having as much intrinsic value as the 1000.
I bought another used 1K in 1999 for $2500.00 that needed some very minor alignment done before it was back up to top of the line operation.
I heard thwey were discontinuing the 1K a few years later, No second guessing, even with two perfectly working 1000's I went right to AES and bought my new 3d one. I use all three. However, my firast one from 20 years ago, works just fine even today. I operate nearly 100% CW, seldom use my amps, and love the sound quality, selectivity, and general sensitivity of the 1000. It even beats my R7, and definitly beats my $2000 JRC545, even on BCB DXing.
I have heard of the click problems, noise blanker failings, and need for roofing filters. I have never changed a thing on my 1000's, they each have the stock filters, 200, 500, 2000, 4.8...and nothing else added. But, If you want to add additions, there is nothing in the world that can make a cheaper, less quality machine become a star.
Having the 1000 and adding extras is like taking the top of the heap, and just improving it a bit. Spend the money to get this top of the line rig, add what you want later, as experience dictates. One way or another, THIS is the rig you want to own. Nothing is in its' class, Nothing!

OH1TT Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2010 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Number one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had several rigs;
FT757GX,FT-897D,FT-990,1000MP,2x1000MP MARK-V,second
with Inrad's,TS-850SAT,IC-756PRO2

This one is the keeper.Best receiver,no menu jungle,DSP crap not needed.

Love it.

W7MHZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2010 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Gold Standard HF Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a Ham ...since 1962. Extra Class License
I have had many HF Rigs... This one is the B E S T
not the most bells and whistles but the best.

Get one if you can!

PA1PXL Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
great transceiver with low noise floor, blocking factor is very good, build like a tank, no spikes on receive. Realy dual receive due to the bpf-1.
Solid 200 watts output. All in all a tick better than my FT-2000. Despite on it's age, it's still the best of the best.

KE5SRZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2009 08:50 Send this review to a friend
The best "old" rig I've ever used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after owning my 1000D for a few years I think it's about time I give it a nice, long review here on eham.

When I got licensed and started looking at HF rigs, I decided not to try any cheaper "starter" rigs and go straight for the good stuff. Why buy a rig if you're just going to want a better one soon? Might as well skip that step and get the one you know you'll be using for quite a while.

So at first I was looking at the 756 Pro III. Being a computer geek, it seemed perfect for me with it's fancy screen and tons of software features. But after actually using one, I changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, it's a great radio, but it turns out I just didn't like having to poke around through menus and endlessly tweak the options to get it "set up" for various modes and conditions. Icom's radios are fantastic, but the "glass cockpit" interfaces on them just aren't my style.

So I kept looking and kept hearing about a legendary old radio called the FT-1000D. I asked a few ham buddies, told them about my experiences and turn-offs with the Icoms, and they told me "Buy the 1000D". So I did, and I ended up spending less than I was expecting. Mine is completely "stock" only using the filters that came with it.

I can sum it up with "Man, what a radio"! For starters it is built like a tank...perhaps a bit overbuilt! In spite of its age, all of the buttons and controls are still silky-smooth and function perfectly. And it's pretty much all metal, very little plastic. It's super heavy though, so I doubt I'll ever be lugging it to Field Day, but no big deal.

It's truly a joy to operate. All of the controls are right there in front of you, and I can adapt for different conditions on-the-fly very quickly. No menus or options, it's all knob and that's the way I like it. It doesn't have the learning-curve that I've experienced with the latest and greatest rigs. I had it figured out well enough to operate my first day with it, and spent another couple days learning to "fine tune" it. Yes, you'll need to open it up to turn on the TX relay for an amplifier or adjust the "beep" volume when a button is pressed. I don't see why anyone is whining about it, the case is easy to open and it is laid out very well internally. I can be in-and-out in about 10 minutes.

The receiver is simply marvelous. I've had the privilege of using some of the modern rigs which are supposedly better on paper, but I honestly can't tell a difference aside from the IF-DSP that new radios come with. Speaking of DSP, I added a Timewave 599zx to mine and I can say that it's a great addition to the 1000D. But the receiver is good enough to where I don't use DSP noise reduction very much...in fact I very seldom use it at all. I mostly use the DSP for auto-notch and bandwidth tweaking for different conditions. The noise filter on the radio doesn't do a whole lot, but it does work decently on fast "popping" noise. Combined with the other controls on the rig, I can work through QRM and QRN effectively without the DSP.

The 200W transmit power is definitely a plus, and I've been running barefoot with it up until very recently. I finally added a Drake L4-B amp to my setup to help out with DX contacts, but for contacts in the US, Canada, and South America I can run barefoot with no problems 90% of the time.

The transmit audio is OK. I really wish I could EQ it a little bit, but it's good enough as it is. The stock hand-mic that came with the rig was a joke; I replaced it with a Heil HM-10 dual element. The TX audio is much better with this mic, but I'll probably add a preamp to it soon. As it is now, I have to really crank up the mic gain and work the processor, so I loose some fidelity. Still very copyable and good for DX, but I'd like to eventually get it more "full" sounding for ragchewing.

I've read in other reviews about undesirable fan noise, and that confuses me. I've never been bothered with the fan noise on mine. Yes, I can hear it when it cranks up full-throttle, but it's not loud. My rig is recessed in my computer desk with other equipment on top of it though, so that probably muffles it a bit. And now that I'm only using about 90W to drive my amp, the fan doesn't run very fast.

And yes, the VFO's do tune very fast. It took some getting used to, but after having it for a while I actually prefer it that way! I can "snap" tune it to different freqs very quickly, and shoot across to the opposite end of the band in no time. Nowdays when I use another rig I'm actually wishing their VFO was as fast as the 1000D. And it feels very nice too, spins freely and has a good, solid weight to it.

And I love using the CAT system with Ham Radio Deluxe on my PC. The 1000D is very "plug and play" for the digital modes, no fancy cables or interface boxes required! The only thing you have to worry about is getting the serial cable. You can make your own if you can find the connector; but I found a whole premade cable for $15 on eBay. The 250 and 500 filters of the 1000D let you zero-in on a PSK contact and hold it with ease. When PSK is hot and space is limited, my contacts will often be complaining about adjacent interference and AGC pumping during my QSO with them. But I never notice it on my end!

So, overall I've definitely got to give this rig a 5! Even on occasion when I get to use a new rig like the IC-7800 or the FT-9000; I still don't feel envious of them when I come back home to my 1000D. It may be old but it still holds its own and doesn't show any functional signs of aging that I've experienced with other old radios. It's a joy to operate and I'll probably be using it as my main rig for quite a while. And at about $1100 on the used market these days, I'd say they're quite a bargain for what you get with it! One of these days if I have money to burn I might eventually get the FT-9000, but I'm in no hurry!

I'm about to do the full "Inrad makeover" on it, which will make it even better! I've heard another 1000D with the Inrad filter set and it's very, very nice. But even with my stock filters I have no complaints. It's a very good radio in stock form.

So, for an older radio the 1000D is a fantastic choice. Perhaps even the best choice. The only other old rig I've ever used that seems to match it in terms of reception and operating experience is the TS-830, but the 830 drifts a bit and needs much more maintenance. The 1000D is solid as a rock and super-reliable. Just buy one, you won't regret it!