Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-1000(D) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1000(D)
Yaesu FT-1000(D) Reviews: 117 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $4000.00
Description: 200W HF allmode transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft1000d.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1000(D).

W3FW Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2011 10:34 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST OF THE BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I SEARCHED FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS AND WAS FINALLY FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO FIND A LATE(YEAR 2000)FT-1000D,VIRTUALLY NIB AND THE CASE WAS NEVER OPENED. I HAVE OPERATED ALL OF THE $12K TRANSCEIVERS. THE 1000D BEATS THEM ALL IN SENSITIVITY & SELECTIVITY. RECEVED SIGNALS ARE EXTREMELY CLEAR AND AUDIBLE. IT RESIDES RIGHT NEXT TO MY LATE FT-1000 MARK V FIELD,LOADED WITH ALL OF THE INRAD FILTERS,AND THE 1000D IS ALWAYS EASILY THE WINNER. IT WAS BUILT TO MILITARY SPECIFICATIONS AND WILL PROBABLY NEVER BE DUPLICATED. IT IS BUILT LIKE A TANK AND IT IS IN A CLASS BY ITSELF. IT IS ONE OF MY MOST PRIZED POSSESSIONS. NOW,IF I COULD ONLY FIND TWO MINT MATCHING SP-5 SPEAKERS,IN THE FACTORY BOXES,MY FT-1000D WOULD BE EVEN MORE OF A HAPPY CAMPER.

WA9CWX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2010 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Great radio if you appreciate quality.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 1000 in 1991, after being impressed by the FT-one I had owned for 6 years prior. I like well built gear, something that has permanence and integrity as the undercurrent of the manufacturing process.
Since that time I have looked at, used, and considered other high end rigs. Nothing strikes me as having as much intrinsic value as the 1000.
I bought another used 1K in 1999 for $2500.00 that needed some very minor alignment done before it was back up to top of the line operation.
I heard thwey were discontinuing the 1K a few years later, No second guessing, even with two perfectly working 1000's I went right to AES and bought my new 3d one. I use all three. However, my firast one from 20 years ago, works just fine even today. I operate nearly 100% CW, seldom use my amps, and love the sound quality, selectivity, and general sensitivity of the 1000. It even beats my R7, and definitly beats my $2000 JRC545, even on BCB DXing.
I have heard of the click problems, noise blanker failings, and need for roofing filters. I have never changed a thing on my 1000's, they each have the stock filters, 200, 500, 2000, 4.8...and nothing else added. But, If you want to add additions, there is nothing in the world that can make a cheaper, less quality machine become a star.
Having the 1000 and adding extras is like taking the top of the heap, and just improving it a bit. Spend the money to get this top of the line rig, add what you want later, as experience dictates. One way or another, THIS is the rig you want to own. Nothing is in its' class, Nothing!

OH1TT Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2010 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Number one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had several rigs;
FT757GX,FT-897D,FT-990,1000MP,2x1000MP MARK-V,second
with Inrad's,TS-850SAT,IC-756PRO2

This one is the keeper.Best receiver,no menu jungle,DSP crap not needed.

Love it.

W7MHZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2010 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Gold Standard HF Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a Ham ...since 1962. Extra Class License
I have had many HF Rigs... This one is the B E S T
not the most bells and whistles but the best.

Get one if you can!

PA1PXL Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
great transceiver with low noise floor, blocking factor is very good, build like a tank, no spikes on receive. Realy dual receive due to the bpf-1.
Solid 200 watts output. All in all a tick better than my FT-2000. Despite on it's age, it's still the best of the best.

KE5SRZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2009 08:50 Send this review to a friend
The best "old" rig I've ever used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well after owning my 1000D for a few years I think it's about time I give it a nice, long review here on eham.

When I got licensed and started looking at HF rigs, I decided not to try any cheaper "starter" rigs and go straight for the good stuff. Why buy a rig if you're just going to want a better one soon? Might as well skip that step and get the one you know you'll be using for quite a while.

So at first I was looking at the 756 Pro III. Being a computer geek, it seemed perfect for me with it's fancy screen and tons of software features. But after actually using one, I changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, it's a great radio, but it turns out I just didn't like having to poke around through menus and endlessly tweak the options to get it "set up" for various modes and conditions. Icom's radios are fantastic, but the "glass cockpit" interfaces on them just aren't my style.

So I kept looking and kept hearing about a legendary old radio called the FT-1000D. I asked a few ham buddies, told them about my experiences and turn-offs with the Icoms, and they told me "Buy the 1000D". So I did, and I ended up spending less than I was expecting. Mine is completely "stock" only using the filters that came with it.

I can sum it up with "Man, what a radio"! For starters it is built like a tank...perhaps a bit overbuilt! In spite of its age, all of the buttons and controls are still silky-smooth and function perfectly. And it's pretty much all metal, very little plastic. It's super heavy though, so I doubt I'll ever be lugging it to Field Day, but no big deal.

It's truly a joy to operate. All of the controls are right there in front of you, and I can adapt for different conditions on-the-fly very quickly. No menus or options, it's all knob and that's the way I like it. It doesn't have the learning-curve that I've experienced with the latest and greatest rigs. I had it figured out well enough to operate my first day with it, and spent another couple days learning to "fine tune" it. Yes, you'll need to open it up to turn on the TX relay for an amplifier or adjust the "beep" volume when a button is pressed. I don't see why anyone is whining about it, the case is easy to open and it is laid out very well internally. I can be in-and-out in about 10 minutes.

The receiver is simply marvelous. I've had the privilege of using some of the modern rigs which are supposedly better on paper, but I honestly can't tell a difference aside from the IF-DSP that new radios come with. Speaking of DSP, I added a Timewave 599zx to mine and I can say that it's a great addition to the 1000D. But the receiver is good enough to where I don't use DSP noise reduction very much...in fact I very seldom use it at all. I mostly use the DSP for auto-notch and bandwidth tweaking for different conditions. The noise filter on the radio doesn't do a whole lot, but it does work decently on fast "popping" noise. Combined with the other controls on the rig, I can work through QRM and QRN effectively without the DSP.

The 200W transmit power is definitely a plus, and I've been running barefoot with it up until very recently. I finally added a Drake L4-B amp to my setup to help out with DX contacts, but for contacts in the US, Canada, and South America I can run barefoot with no problems 90% of the time.

The transmit audio is OK. I really wish I could EQ it a little bit, but it's good enough as it is. The stock hand-mic that came with the rig was a joke; I replaced it with a Heil HM-10 dual element. The TX audio is much better with this mic, but I'll probably add a preamp to it soon. As it is now, I have to really crank up the mic gain and work the processor, so I loose some fidelity. Still very copyable and good for DX, but I'd like to eventually get it more "full" sounding for ragchewing.

I've read in other reviews about undesirable fan noise, and that confuses me. I've never been bothered with the fan noise on mine. Yes, I can hear it when it cranks up full-throttle, but it's not loud. My rig is recessed in my computer desk with other equipment on top of it though, so that probably muffles it a bit. And now that I'm only using about 90W to drive my amp, the fan doesn't run very fast.

And yes, the VFO's do tune very fast. It took some getting used to, but after having it for a while I actually prefer it that way! I can "snap" tune it to different freqs very quickly, and shoot across to the opposite end of the band in no time. Nowdays when I use another rig I'm actually wishing their VFO was as fast as the 1000D. And it feels very nice too, spins freely and has a good, solid weight to it.

And I love using the CAT system with Ham Radio Deluxe on my PC. The 1000D is very "plug and play" for the digital modes, no fancy cables or interface boxes required! The only thing you have to worry about is getting the serial cable. You can make your own if you can find the connector; but I found a whole premade cable for $15 on eBay. The 250 and 500 filters of the 1000D let you zero-in on a PSK contact and hold it with ease. When PSK is hot and space is limited, my contacts will often be complaining about adjacent interference and AGC pumping during my QSO with them. But I never notice it on my end!

So, overall I've definitely got to give this rig a 5! Even on occasion when I get to use a new rig like the IC-7800 or the FT-9000; I still don't feel envious of them when I come back home to my 1000D. It may be old but it still holds its own and doesn't show any functional signs of aging that I've experienced with other old radios. It's a joy to operate and I'll probably be using it as my main rig for quite a while. And at about $1100 on the used market these days, I'd say they're quite a bargain for what you get with it! One of these days if I have money to burn I might eventually get the FT-9000, but I'm in no hurry!

I'm about to do the full "Inrad makeover" on it, which will make it even better! I've heard another 1000D with the Inrad filter set and it's very, very nice. But even with my stock filters I have no complaints. It's a very good radio in stock form.

So, for an older radio the 1000D is a fantastic choice. Perhaps even the best choice. The only other old rig I've ever used that seems to match it in terms of reception and operating experience is the TS-830, but the 830 drifts a bit and needs much more maintenance. The 1000D is solid as a rock and super-reliable. Just buy one, you won't regret it!

M0OGY Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 04:48 Send this review to a friend
The Best of the best!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Fox Tango 1000D for around 6 years now.I bought it from a decent dealer for 1200 ,the radio is a true "Mint double boxed" example complete with everything even the original bill and sales literature.I mainly use it on 80/40 meters now driving a Drake L75 amp.It is my all time best radio,never had any problems with it at all.Mine is a very early model (4th batch March 1990 ......thanks to the Yahoo group for that one!).It still has the early chip in ,not the later one which lets you use it better via computer software.I purchased a SP5 speaker with a Timewave 5/9 DSP unit from the States via E-Bay ,paid big money for this and then was stung 60 from the UK Customs ....I also own two MD1 Mics for this stunning Top End Radio.In the shack my main radio is an Icom IC756 PRO 3 lineup running a Linear Amp UK Ranger 572B to a 6 element Opti-beam Yagi ,also a Kenwood TS2000E and an Icom IC910HX for VHF/UHF again both full line ups bought brand new.I like the modern radios and indeed would like an Icom IC 7800 ,but for me when I get round to fitting the Inrad filter ,the last radio I would ever sell is my Yaesu FT1000D.Check out Youtube....just put in "M0OGY" in the search and there are some videos of my radio in action!!........73's DAVE (M0OGY) ,North Lincolnshire UK.

OE2LUDWIG Rating: 1/5 Mar 1, 2009 03:01 Send this review to a friend
no parts junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had x2 of them when they work they good . but no so good . the 2nd rx had big problem so i sent it to yaesu EU they send me e-mail no parts for this radio and we will not going to made any job of any ft 1000d since no parts . so they sent it back then the pa gone on the 2nd one the dispaly on the other one what a dog , i sold them in e-bay for part , order new ft 9000d
WOW WHAT A RADIO THE BEST OF THE BEST .NO I KNOW WHAT A RADIO IS THE FT 9000D PEP VERSION .
SELL ASAP YOU FT 1000D AND BUY THE 9000 .

W3PO Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2009 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Still the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot believe the 1KD is not at a perfect 5 so it is time for me to chime in. Great RX. In contest the receiver never overload and I live not too far away from some of the big guns. No menus to get lost in, one knob one function. Great CW rig. Now that I have one I will keep it till the wheels fall off.

VE2PXP Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2009 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Best of the best = true !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello,
After 1 year of use, I decided to sold my FT-2000D with the DMU-2000 and purchase a mint FT-1000D... Wow !!! Marvallous machine! Real good and solid average talk power and rich and clear RX with Collins filters. About 6 years ago, I sold my FT-990 and later, had so many regrets to have sold it.
Now, with my great FT-1000D, I am really happy with my Yaesu product and won't regret anymore.
73's to all of you, Sylvain VE2PXP