Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Oregon Scientific WM-918 Help

Reviews Summary for Oregon Scientific WM-918
Oregon Scientific WM-918 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: Budget wired weather station.
Sensors for temp, humidity, rainfall, wind, pressure.
More info: http://www.oregonscientific.com/

You can write your own review of the Oregon Scientific WM-918.

DT593 Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2002 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Worth The Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a year and am happy with what I got for money spent.
The one thing I dont like about it is when I set the barometric pressure to the sea level setting I cant monitor the sea level pressure here at my home. It converts the sea level pressure to "actual" pressure which is NOT the format used by anyone. All weather agency and airport pressure readings are given as "sea level". Actual pressure need to be converted for comparison.Maybe I'm doing something wrong and there is a way to monitor my sea level pressure and I just havnt figured it out.
The Annenometer froze during a major freezing rain storm (So did the annenometer at the airport)
The thing EATS batteries when power fails.
All In all it seems very accurate and has not failed me in over a year
DT-593 (Roger "Bear" Yurek)

W4VR Rating: 3/5 Feb 2, 2002 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Most of them are defective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of these units a couple of years ago. I had nothing but problems with them. Display would blank out every 2 minutes. RF was not a problem in my situation. After waiting almost a year, the company sent me four new outdoor sensors and two new distribution boxes. Now one of them works fine, but the other one still has hiccups. I don't recommend this unit. spend a few more dollars and get a Davis or something similar. W4VR

KA7GKN Rating: 2/5 Feb 2, 2002 09:12 Send this review to a friend
If you can't afford a good one this might be the unit for you  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first 6 months I had it it did not work and I spent many phone calls to finally get the mfg to send replacement parts and upgraded chips under warranty!!!!
reliability, accuracy, dependability, is fair to good at times. often when you look at the display to get a reading you see "---" and have to wait!
I think it might be sensitive to rf and that cause the unit to hic-cup.

A main complaint you have to go through each selection to reset the memory!!! They should have had a single button to reset all at once.

The rain and wind gauges are not very accurate but will give you enough data to know when to lower the tower.

This is a low end made in China wanna be top end unit. I found it at fry's electronics for $199.00 and said ok, i'll try it.

One of these days when I acquire surplus money I'll replace it with a Davis or some other better quality unit.

G4AON Rating: 3/5 Feb 2, 2002 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Cheapest weather station?  Time owned: more than 12 months
These weather stations were also sold under the Radio Shack brand. They are probably the lowest cost weather stations around, there are some bargains with prices down to 148 UK pounds (around $200) for the complete station.

There are a few problems with these stations, but considering most of us cannot install them in a location that would justify spending more money, then they are good value.

Like many weather stations, these suffer from electrical glitches, especially from thunder storms. I've added ferrite rings to the sensor cables and find it performs OK with these added.

The wind speed doesn't seem to read "correctly" above speeds of 30 miles per hour, although I haven't tried taking it for a test on the car roof... The rain gauge read low compared to a manual gauge along side it. Adjusting the gauge is a simple matter but takes several days of rainfall to get it set correctly.

The pressure sensor can be calibrated from the front panel if you know the actual pressure. In my case it's easy as the local airport pressure readings are on the internet (weatherunderground.com).

Weather data can be collected by connecting a computer to the serial port, data buffers are available if you don't want to leave your computer running all the time (in the UK try http://www.skyview.co.uk/ for a data buffer). I run an old 486 computer, with Windows 95, using Weather Logger (http://jorick.freeyellow.com/wx200.htm) to log data. My data is uploaded manually to the internet with data from May 1999 being available in text files at: http://www.astromag.co.uk/wx.html

The weather station has been running for more than two and a half years without a fault.