Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Weather Wizard II Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Weather Wizard II
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Weather station
More info: http://www.davisnet,com

You can write your own review of the Davis Weather Wizard II.

N9PUG Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2007 08:24 Send this review to a friend
davis weather wizard ll  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over 10 years, never a minutes trouble, still going strong. If you can find one, buy it ! You wont be dissappointed.

NB7I Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2007 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it up a year and both the anemometer and direction seized up/wore out. I live in "Wind Farm Hills", so it's turning all the time. The wind speed bearings? locked up in 3 months. No backlight on the display. Resetting is kind of a pain. Gets blown away from 6 meter RF.
That being said, it's pretty accurate, and the wind speed updates fast enough to see the gusts. The temp seems accurate, too.
If you live where the wind doesn't blow, or remember to climb up and lube the bearings, it's decent.

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2005 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This works very well.

I have had this for about 7 years now. Never had a bit of trouble with it. It seems to be resistant to RF, the thermometer is accurate, I am a happy customer.

N8YV Rating: 2/5 Aug 31, 2003 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Disappointment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one of these units installed at my QTH for about a year. The anemometer unit was installed on my tower, while the temperature sensor was located in a shaded area that was never exposed to direct sunlight.

The console for the unit is easy to operate and nicely laid-out. The anemometer and wind vane were well-built and I never experienced icing or any mechanical trouble with the unit. However, this is where the good part stops.

The console has a permanently-angled viewing display, which was completely aggravating to me---it is at too great an angle to be visible when wall-mounted, and not angled enough to be visible when placed horizontally on my station shelf.

This, combined with its lack of backlighting, made for needlessly difficult viewing conditions.
The unit was calibrated well and gave temperature and wind speed accurately, but the unit was terribly susceptible to RFI. Any transmission made below 25 MHz would send the unit into a "scramble", causing stored data to be erased or badly jumbled and the "live" data to range all over the scale. It made an excellent RF indicator. A call to Davis placed the blame on the unshielded modular cable that was supplied with the unit.

I had an RF choke installed at the anemometer and at the coupler box ends of the cable, to no effect. Before I could follow through with plans to replace the cable with an independently-shielded modular type, I had to sell my antennas, towers and rigs.

I now own another Davis unit, this time a wireless Vantage Pro. I am in the process of relocating and setting up a new QTH, and will report the results of my success with the new equipment under the appropriate category.

KE1EH Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2002 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Davis Weather Wizard II for about seven years and have been very pleased with it's performance. It's never given me any problems and seems to be quite accurate, its always within a degree of the local NOAA station. This is just a basic unit, everything is hard wired,and I don't have the optional rain guage, or the humidity sensor. I purchased the unit from a discount flyer I received in the mail and if I remember correctly I think I paid $140 for it, also this model may no longer be available as I haven't seen it advertised in a while. The unit seems to work well in a RF environment, it's set pretty close to my transeivers with no problems. The only thing I can remember ever happening is, the anemometer stopped working in a heavy ice condition, but being black, as soon as the sun hit it, it was back working again. I'm installing a new tower this spring and will be relocating the remote unit on the top at about 45 feet, it's presently just below my two meter vertical at about 25 feet. This will put it above just about all the trees in my yard, then I'll get to see what the real wind is! 73's Rusty KE1EH