Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Commercial/Military/Marine adaptable to ham use | Philips M.E.L. - PRC-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Philips M.E.L. - PRC-2000
Philips M.E.L. -  PRC-2000 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Unknown
Description: Military, compact man-pack radio HF SSB

You can write your own review of the Philips M.E.L. - PRC-2000.

N8DNX Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2009 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Stunning Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm now on my second PRC-2000. The real question is why I sold my first one (twice). Fortunately I was just able to acquire another one that was NOS (New Old Stock) and had never been used. Putting that radio on the air was like a breath of fresh air. You just don't find AGC action like that in any Ham radio and the TX audio gets rave reviews from everyone I talk to with it. If I ever offer to sell this one, will someone please slap me to bring me back to my senses.

Oh, and to KM3DR, you have a rare find with the remote control handset. I wonder if that's an original or one someone fabricated. That's the one additional think I'd really like to have and will be looking at modifying one of my H-250 handsets to do this for my PRC-2000.

KM3DR Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2009 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Great HF Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many years of searching for one at the right price, I found one Feb. 2009 at one of the Wash, D.C. hamfest unexpectally. I've been very pleased with the purchase to date. Basic HF operation on one frequency, does not perform splits. Changing freqs and modes take a little time to learn, but easy once mastered. Had success making contacts on 40 & 60 meters using NVIS, had good reports with AT-271 style whip on rig. Current draw is less that 5amps on TX. Battery pack is easy to make. Finding additional mike plugs can be a challenge. I have the standard as well as the remote mic with controls. The receive is well considering no optional filters or DSP. Can't wait until propagation starts moving up on the high bands.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2005 20:22 Send this review to a friend
A good one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my PRC2000 from a US Ham. These rigs are occasionally available from Combat Radio in the UK, for about 2000 US.

Set up in the back yard and worked Belgium right away on 17m.

Its a bit on the heavy side, but all in all, a great radio.