Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Yaesu Factory Service Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Factory Service
Yaesu Factory Service Reviews: 250 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $N/A
Description: Yeasu's Amateur Radio Factory Service Center in California
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs&DivisionID=65

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Factory Service.

N8TFE Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Great job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sent my Yaesu FTdx 3000D in for repair on the 25th of July. The service department contacted me on August 1st by e-mail to let me know they had received my radio. They also stated the average turn around time was about 15 days. On August 15 I called the service department to check on my radio and Stephanie I believe it was told me the radio was repaired earlier that day, two transistors were replaced. They shipped it out on August 17th and I received it on August 22nd. I've had my radio back for only a week but so far it's working perfectly. I shipped it from Ohio to California, and it cost $121.00 to do so. They shipped it back to me at no charge. So from the day I shipped it out and it returned was 28 days. I was treated with respect and the phone call I made was answered with in two minutes. any questions I asked were answered with out pause. I am more than satisfied at the moment and will continue to run Yaesu equipment. My experience with the service department was first rate. Oh, by the way I've been a ham for 25 years. I'd say 95% of my radios have been Yaesu and this is the first ont to go back for repairs.

W3AFV Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2017 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent my FT-897D back to Yaesu to have the CAT fuse replaced and the MARS Mod removed. Was finished when they promised it would be and cost what they said it would coast.

KE8CEW Rating: 0/5 Jan 13, 2017 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Not a good expierence  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent in a new MD-100A8X desk mic for warranty repair. After 6 weeks, was told their techs said it was not worth repair. Beings I purchased it at a ham fest new in sealed box from a non-authorized dealer, wasn't covered under warranty. Ok, so how much to repair? Would not give me a cost quote. Ended up over $65 to return it to me. $35 bench and $30 to ship. Only costed me $20 to send it to them to begin with. So someone at Yaesu is enjoying a new cheap mic at my cost. I told them to scrap it which I doubt they will.

AC8YJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2016 23:41 Send this review to a friend
almost a 5  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Needed to send my ftdx 1200 in for repair, unit was repaired promptly, only issue I had was I had to call to get updates and about what was wrong, otherwise very pleased

NG9W Rating: 2/5 Nov 1, 2016 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Be Prepared to Wait  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent my FTdx-3000 in to repair a problem with the +5V on the microphone connector. They needed to replace the pass transistor and Zener diode controlling that voltage. About $1.59 for parts and $140.00 for two hours bench time.

However the radio sat untouched for 3-1/2 weeks before seeing the bench, and another week in the shipping department before being sent back. I could only get information if I called them. The average wait time on hold was 12 minutes to get through the call queue, and most of the information was uncertainty about how much longer it would take for the radio to get fixed.

Yaesu Factory Service must either be having a hard time recruiting and retaining qualified electronics technicians (and in the heart of Silicon Valley) or their equipment is having general failures of all kinds faster than they can keep up.

AE1N Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2016 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FT-950 lost all output and living on the East Coast I dreaded shipping it to California so I called Yaesu who quickly gave me a $400 estimate, "if it's the finals". I spent a couple of months trying to decide what to do. After realizing, I can't sell it anyway if it is not repaired. The experience was great. Fedex took a week each week and Yaesu was very responsive with all queries. Yes, the final transistors were replaced. They replaced them and updated the latest firmware and hardware and completely aligned the unit ... as good as new! (About $250 total).
Layne AE1N NH

KB3JQJ Rating: 1/5 Jul 25, 2016 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Forget it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up a used FT-60R & it wouldn't stay on. I sent it to Yaesu for repair. They communicated well but their prices were staggering. A replacement mainboard was near the $200 range if I wished to replace it myself. For them to repair it was going to run in the $300 including shipping. List price for the entire radio is $200. The only good thing I noticed is the tech who worked on it left stickers inside with arrows pointing directly to where the problem was. Labor costs are fine, it's the parts they make a killing on.

AB4D Rating: 0/5 Jul 15, 2016 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Lack of repair under warranty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently concluded a failed effort to have Yaesu USA perform a repair under warranty. The problem, when using a FTDX-3000D transceiver with my Yaesu Quadra amplifier. The SSB audio would distort, whenever the ALC line was connected to control drive to the amplifier. Testing with several other transceivers did not duplicate the problem at my station. Using the FTDX-3000 at another station that also has a Quadra, the problem was present there as well. Transmitting into a dummy load, also showed the issue was present. In December 2015, I contacted Tim Factor, Service Manager at Yaesu USA, for assistance. When I described the problem, he immediately suggested that excessive mic gain was the cause of the issue. Based on his suggestion, I tried all manner of settings, but I could not resolve the issue.

Upon my insistence, I sent the radio to Yaesu USA for warranty repair. Yaesu service was able to duplicate the problem on the bench. Yet, Mr. Factor would not acknowledge there is a defect with the radio. Rather, he was adamant, that excessive mic gain was still the cause. I was told, no repair was necessary, and I was instructed that when the radio was returned, to set the mic gain no higher than "11" and I should only use the stock MH-31 hand microphone. As far as Yaesu was concerned, the issue was resolved. I asked if they checked other modes as well, to ensure there was no issue with any of the other modes? He admitted they had not, and indicated no intention to do so, because I only mentioned a problem with SSB. It was clear, Mr. Factor really had no genuine interest in finding the actual root cause of the problem.

The radio was returned to me without any repair attempt by Yaesu. I set the mic gain to "11" as suggested by Tim Factor. However, what I quickly discovered, with the mic gain set so low, the radio would not drive the Quadra to full output. Thus, there is little to no ALC voltage being generated, so it only temporary masks the issue. When I increased the mic gain to achieve adequate drive, the problem returned. Rather than fix the issue while the radio was under warranty. Apparently, Mr. Factor thought he found a simple trick to circumvent the issue.

I had previously owned another FTDX-3000D, that I used with the same Quadra Amplifier, and did not have any issues with distortion. The usual mic gain setting for my voice is 18, which gives an ALC reading of about 60% of full ALC meter scale deflection. I spoke to a number of other hams using the FTDX-3000D and the Yaesu Quadra, and none of them are required to have the mic gain set so low, or use the stock microphone, and none of them have experienced a similar issue with distortion. I also shared this information with Mr. Factor, but he ignored that information, and was still persistent that excessive microphone gain was the cause of the problem. I concluded what I already suspected. The FTDX-3000D I own has a unresolved defect within the ALC circuit.

Dissatisfied with the repair effort, I sent a follow up email to Mr. Factor and Mikio Maruya, Vice President of Customer Service, notifying them the problem was still present, and asked if they had any further interest in resolving the issue under warranty. However, neither of these individuals responded to my request. In frustration and a due to a lack of response. I gave up, and assumed that Yaesu had no intention of honoring the warranty on my new radio or performing the repair.

Then something odd happened. A few months later at the end of April 2016, I was contacted by Wesley Gray of Yaesu Customer Service, asking if I still had the problem. He made a few suggestions of using ferite beads to resolve the issue, as he suggested it could be RFI related to my station. However, it seemed he was completely ignoring or wasn't aware that, Yaesu service had already duplicated the issue on the bench, so it wasn't location specific. He asked for a few more facts about the problem, which I provided, and said he would speak to his supervisor about the issue and would get back to me. I felt elated and redeemed, and foolishly believed that Mr. Gray was interested in helping me resolve this issue. A few weeks passed, and I had not heard anything from Mr. Gray. So I began sending him emails about every other week. However, despite emails asking for status and the courtesy of a response, I haven't had a response from anyone at Yaesu USA. Yesterday, I sent Mr. Gray a final email, asking for status. Yet again, he has choose to ignore my message.

There once was a time when I thought Yaesu gear and their service was very good. It appears, those days are gone. I've purchased a significant amount of gear from Yaesu over the past 25 years, including a new FTDX-9000MP. One would think, that Yaesu would be interested in helping a loyal customer and retaining their customer base. However, I think I've learned my lesson about buying products from Yaesu. Based on this experience, it's highly doubtful that any future purchases will bear the Yaesu name. BUYER BEWARE!

KT6L Rating: 2/5 Jun 24, 2016 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Incompetent or unrealistic estimares, failure to meet commitmen  Time owned: more than 12 months
Generally, I've noticed that when people are made promises that are not kept they become angry. The Yaesu radios that I own and use are top quality and I'm very happy with the product. The service needs some trouble-shooting as the "service representatives" make promises which are not keep. For example, sent the FT-817ND in for repair mid-May and was told it would be ready in time for Field Day. Was told on Monday that it would be in my hands on Friday the day before FD if I paid a $25 expedite fee. The unit wasn't shipped 4 days after I agreed to pay the fee. This isn't a good exemplar of high quality customer service.

Yaesu would benefit by providing what's promised to their customers. If more time or money is required I'd appreciate an honest answer.

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2016 12:35 Send this review to a friend
FTDX 5000D repairJob  Time owned: more than 12 months
sent my FTDX5000D in to replace all 3 OLED's and the LCD Screen on the SM5000, I had 2 bad OLED's ,with the white line,and got a picture of only one, the other was only on for a few minutes...and the SM5000 had spotting light and dark areas, so had it fixed at the same time..with extra insurance returning the rig to me the tab was $350.00, I paid for shipping down$146.00 from 59405, so it isn't cheap, but looks great again..will see how long this all holds up, I have had the radio since Jan.2012 and rotate it with other 1000D's..so not in service every day..radio made in July of 2011...took about 6 weeks turn around, but I was fine with that, not cheap repair, but then the radio isn't cheap either...will keep it for now. I got charged $45 for each OLED, and one I had a photo of the bad one, no charge for that one...the SM5000 was $150 to repair...I did not have to pay return shippping