Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Yaesu Factory Service Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Factory Service
Yaesu Factory Service Reviews: 243 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $N/A
Description: Yeasu's Amateur Radio Factory Service Center in California
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=ContactUs&DivisionID=65

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Factory Service.

AB4D Rating: 0/5 Jul 15, 2016 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Lack of repair under warranty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently concluded a failed effort to have Yaesu USA perform a repair under warranty. The problem, when using a FTDX-3000D transceiver with my Yaesu Quadra amplifier. The SSB audio would distort, whenever the ALC line was connected to control drive to the amplifier. Testing with several other transceivers did not duplicate the problem at my station. Using the FTDX-3000 at another station that also has a Quadra, the problem was present there as well. Transmitting into a dummy load, also showed the issue was present. In December 2015, I contacted Tim Factor, Service Manager at Yaesu USA, for assistance. When I described the problem, he immediately suggested that excessive mic gain was the cause of the issue. Based on his suggestion, I tried all manner of settings, but I could not resolve the issue.

Upon my insistence, I sent the radio to Yaesu USA for warranty repair. Yaesu service was able to duplicate the problem on the bench. Yet, Mr. Factor would not acknowledge there is a defect with the radio. Rather, he was adamant, that excessive mic gain was still the cause. I was told, no repair was necessary, and I was instructed that when the radio was returned, to set the mic gain no higher than "11" and I should only use the stock MH-31 hand microphone. As far as Yaesu was concerned, the issue was resolved. I asked if they checked other modes as well, to ensure there was no issue with any of the other modes? He admitted they had not, and indicated no intention to do so, because I only mentioned a problem with SSB. It was clear, Mr. Factor really had no genuine interest in finding the actual root cause of the problem.

The radio was returned to me without any repair attempt by Yaesu. I set the mic gain to "11" as suggested by Tim Factor. However, what I quickly discovered, with the mic gain set so low, the radio would not drive the Quadra to full output. Thus, there is little to no ALC voltage being generated, so it only temporary masks the issue. When I increased the mic gain to achieve adequate drive, the problem returned. Rather than fix the issue while the radio was under warranty. Apparently, Mr. Factor thought he found a simple trick to circumvent the issue.

I had previously owned another FTDX-3000D, that I used with the same Quadra Amplifier, and did not have any issues with distortion. The usual mic gain setting for my voice is 18, which gives an ALC reading of about 60% of full ALC meter scale deflection. I spoke to a number of other hams using the FTDX-3000D and the Yaesu Quadra, and none of them are required to have the mic gain set so low, or use the stock microphone, and none of them have experienced a similar issue with distortion. I also shared this information with Mr. Factor, but he ignored that information, and was still persistent that excessive microphone gain was the cause of the problem. I concluded what I already suspected. The FTDX-3000D I own has a unresolved defect within the ALC circuit.

Dissatisfied with the repair effort, I sent a follow up email to Mr. Factor and Mikio Maruya, Vice President of Customer Service, notifying them the problem was still present, and asked if they had any further interest in resolving the issue under warranty. However, neither of these individuals responded to my request. In frustration and a due to a lack of response. I gave up, and assumed that Yaesu had no intention of honoring the warranty on my new radio or performing the repair.

Then something odd happened. A few months later at the end of April 2016, I was contacted by Wesley Gray of Yaesu Customer Service, asking if I still had the problem. He made a few suggestions of using ferite beads to resolve the issue, as he suggested it could be RFI related to my station. However, it seemed he was completely ignoring or wasn't aware that, Yaesu service had already duplicated the issue on the bench, so it wasn't location specific. He asked for a few more facts about the problem, which I provided, and said he would speak to his supervisor about the issue and would get back to me. I felt elated and redeemed, and foolishly believed that Mr. Gray was interested in helping me resolve this issue. A few weeks passed, and I had not heard anything from Mr. Gray. So I began sending him emails about every other week. However, despite emails asking for status and the courtesy of a response, I haven't had a response from anyone at Yaesu USA. Yesterday, I sent Mr. Gray a final email, asking for status. Yet again, he has choose to ignore my message.

There once was a time when I thought Yaesu gear and their service was very good. It appears, those days are gone. I've purchased a significant amount of gear from Yaesu over the past 25 years, including a new FTDX-9000MP. One would think, that Yaesu would be interested in helping a loyal customer and retaining their customer base. However, I think I've learned my lesson about buying products from Yaesu. Based on this experience, it's highly doubtful that any future purchases will bear the Yaesu name. BUYER BEWARE!

KT6L Rating: 2/5 Jun 24, 2016 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Incompetent or unrealistic estimares, failure to meet commitmen  Time owned: more than 12 months
Generally, I've noticed that when people are made promises that are not kept they become angry. The Yaesu radios that I own and use are top quality and I'm very happy with the product. The service needs some trouble-shooting as the "service representatives" make promises which are not keep. For example, sent the FT-817ND in for repair mid-May and was told it would be ready in time for Field Day. Was told on Monday that it would be in my hands on Friday the day before FD if I paid a $25 expedite fee. The unit wasn't shipped 4 days after I agreed to pay the fee. This isn't a good exemplar of high quality customer service.

Yaesu would benefit by providing what's promised to their customers. If more time or money is required I'd appreciate an honest answer.

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2016 12:35 Send this review to a friend
FTDX 5000D repairJob  Time owned: more than 12 months
sent my FTDX5000D in to replace all 3 OLED's and the LCD Screen on the SM5000, I had 2 bad OLED's ,with the white line,and got a picture of only one, the other was only on for a few minutes...and the SM5000 had spotting light and dark areas, so had it fixed at the same time..with extra insurance returning the rig to me the tab was $350.00, I paid for shipping down$146.00 from 59405, so it isn't cheap, but looks great again..will see how long this all holds up, I have had the radio since Jan.2012 and rotate it with other 1000D's..so not in service every day..radio made in July of 2011...took about 6 weeks turn around, but I was fine with that, not cheap repair, but then the radio isn't cheap either...will keep it for now. I got charged $45 for each OLED, and one I had a photo of the bad one, no charge for that one...the SM5000 was $150 to repair...I did not have to pay return shippping

K4FMH Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2016 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My truck mounted FTM-400DR is run from a second batttery. I purchased a West Mountain power maintainer with Anderson Power Poles. My negligence in attaching a PP caused a short and subsequent power surge, blowing both the fuse in the DC line and the surge protect diode inside the FTM-400DR. I called Yaesu and got a call-back from a Tech in about 30 minutes. He agreed that it was likely the diode, given my description. I shipped just the radio body to Yaesu and it got repaired for $51 plus $8 shipping. Complete disclosure by phone and in writing when the radio body returned as to the repair procedure and so forth. My error caused the problem (but won't happen again!). Great customer service and technical repair. Bravo Yaesu. It's my FIRST ever problem with a Yaesu product but one of my own making.

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Communication  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently, I've noticed that my recently purchased FTDX3000's 13.8V RCA was not working. In the firmware instructions there is the name of the VP of Service and Tech support. I wrote to him thinking I don't lose anything but a few minutes of my time. Well, few minutes later I got an answer from him and giving me hints. We exchanged several emails. I realized I could not change the miniSMD that appearS to be bad. So I sent the rig to CA. It is in their court now and I will wait for their contacting me.

Overall, I've never expected VP to write me.

Rafael / NN3RP

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 06:47 Send this review to a friend
No problem!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I broke the rotary encoder (one of the multifunction tuning knobs) and I hesitated sending my FT-897 (10+ years old) from Florida to California, but I did. I had a couple of quick-turnaround emails and, bottom line: the radio was repaired, including a number of capacitors and resistors and some software upgrades. The radio works better than I remember and the charge was less than $150. Thanks, Yaesu, for he pleasant experience. All my communications were friendly and professional and the return packaging was excellent. I recommend the repair folks highly!

KX5F Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
Repaired my FT-7900 Sub-base cracked where the face plate connects to main body. Emailed Yaesu got reply back within the hour. Sent radio off about a week later got email asking for payment info, received radio back repaired and in excellent condition. tnks Yaesu. Patrick kx5f

KC6NFV Rating: 1/5 Oct 9, 2015 00:11 Send this review to a friend
yaesu  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i dont think yaesu that good of company when the radio has a intermenting problem or any other problem the repair is done very poor no customer contact they put in a relay but its steal there yaesu dont care if your rig broke down you took it in under warrenty they ram it up yours when they see you have 3 months left on warrenty they tell you if the problem still there they sell you a new board and not charge you for labor then they charge you labor they go back on there word those in so cal i remcomend kenwood yaesu mfg alot of defects radio that does stuff it should not

KC1ACL Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2015 04:35 Send this review to a friend
ft 857d repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a issue with my ft 857d.it was sent to a repair shop in South Dakota. and came back not fixed.then I sent the radio to YAESU.they found the problem,and fixed the radio.they were reasonable and a fast turnaround.im back on the air now. thank you.kc1acl

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2015 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Very helpful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had good experiences with Yaesu whenever I've dealt with them, either to order parts or ask questions and get answers.

No product nor manufacturer nor service will always please everyone but I think that Yaesu does a good enough job of standing behind their products and being helpful.