Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Orion Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Orion
Ten-Tec Orion Reviews: 100 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $3,300.00
Description: The Ten-Tec ORION represents an entirely new concept in high-performance HF transceivers. Ten-Tec's goal with this new groundbreaking design is to deliver the finest performance level to date from an amateur transceiver." Full measured specifications, pictures, and accessory information are available on the Ten-Tec ORION website
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Orion.

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2018 09:41 Send this review to a friend
finally the end of a long search  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Orion first impressions. IT'S HUGE! I have now had this one for a few weeks and at this point I have mostly figured it out. I got rid of a 590SG to get this radio looking for the best receiver. I needed one that could fight the AM broadcaster, did not put anomalies on the RX'ed signal (watery sound on the Kenwood NR irked me to no end), and sounded good on the air. The Orion fits the bill, for the most part. I am an NCS, and casual operator NOT A CONTESTOR but I need a really good receiver. TX audio with the TT709 I have been informed is the best I have ever sounded on the plethora of radios I have had

Can the Orion kill an AM broadcast, mostly, if it is not centered on your RX frequency (see the note on the SAF below). Can I take corntestors out close to me while I call a net YES!

I am used to TT receivers (Jup, Triton IV, Peg, O7, O6, O5) that I can quiet down to no atmo noise, this one will not quite do that. It is not designed to do that and I knew that going in. I can get it pretty quiet though. It is the first rig I have ever owned that the AGC is actually effective. All settings are adjustable even for the SLOW, MED, FAST AGC but the programmable AGC is a really great feature. I can cycle through during a net quickly to pull a weak signal out that no other rig I have had can even hear.

AM: WOW! This is a great AM transmitter. I do a fair bit of AM and this is the best rig (Solid state that is) I have ever run. TX audio using the 709 TT mic, a little H/W mic gain (6db) and a TX BW of 2850-3300 with a low cut of 50hz I have received the best compliments on my audio that I have ever had. This is NOT your rice box low level audio coming out of this rig. I use the same settings on SSB as well but add a little (-7db) on the TX EQ.

A note on the SAF (selective audio filter). READ THE V3 MANUAL! It has made the difference on the 40M nets I call pulling calls out of the AM broadcast noise. It also makes a huge difference in how well the Orion hears AM signals on 75M as well. Play with the settings I have found a narrower center freq helps on SSB.

The one CON is the sweep/bandscope is not adjustable. It's on or off on the 565. Not a big deal for me but for some of you it may be.

All the way around this is by far the best rig I have ever owned AND it's AMERICAN MADE! It's a keeper!

MI0OBR Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Previous radios include FTDX3000, Icom 7400, TS590, FT102.

I was recently in the sad position of having to sell one of my two HF radios, the Orion or my much loved FTDX 3000. Being fairly new to Amateur radio only having been licensed since November 2013 I'm not in the position to give a 'proper' review. The 3000 was less complicated to use and I always received excellent audio reports but I preferred the Orion, it made the 3000 feel a bit like a toy. I like the size of the thing, the second receiver and the fully programmable AGC. I am enjoying learning how to get the best out of the radio and can't imagine ever selling it.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2013 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I look fer two things when I buy a rig ; best Receiver performance & Quality of Build .

The ORION is still the best SSB receiver ( 6.0 , 2.4 & 1.8 Hz roofing filters all of which are EIGHT POLE ) & is built like a TANK with Computer grade printed circuit boards !

I just upgraded to ver. 3.032x5 firmware & LOVE it ! After 10 yrs they are keeping my trusty ORION like new !

I've had an IC - 7700 , FTdx - 9000 & I still have a FTfx -5000 , but in contest conditions the ORION is the clear winner !

Best of all, I only paid $3300.00 NOT $4400. fer my ORION!

Keep up the good work TEN TEC !

IZ1OSP Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio tree years ago then the Icom ic 7700. I bought all the INRAD opzional filter and I put on 1 khz the 600hz filter for the first. Ten Tec had always make new firmer and the last 3.032x5 is fantastic. Receiver is great, many, many regulation and all works fine. Don't spend more money at used price is the better radio price/quality and the best in ssb.

Buy it!

'73

W0XX Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2013 08:46 Send this review to a friend
New to TT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired the Orion and don't have much experience with the radio so here are my impressions so far and will update later.

1. Really huge! OMG, thing is like 20 inches wide, 18 inches deep, and 6 inches high. This is not typical radio!
2. Radio to me seems to be more of an SDR type radio, lacks the hit the control and get the effect. You have to change settings which is a good thing or a pain. I haven't learned it yet.
3. 4 Pin mic plug with no mic ground. Come on. 4 pin mics went out 20 plus years ago.
5. RF Loop generator (as due to item 4 mentioned).
6. Scope for me is a bit hard to get the correct brightness/contrast. I am adjusting it more then I feel I should. Then again, for $2K more, I can get the orion 2 with the same or less rcvr performance just to get the colors.
7. Sometimes when I change say AN values, the receiver mutes and I have to "reboot". Hmmm.....
8. I don't notice the NB doing all that much. May be a learning issue here. Still working on that.
9. Meter is ridiculous. You talk or key, you get the meter movement. Seems a bit retarded to me to NOT have ALC reading on it. Strange indeed.

Again, there is much to learn and I may swap for the omni 7 which is a lesser performer and a bit smaller. Haven't decided on that yet.

G1KDU Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2013 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Reciever...!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say about this radio's reciever...
its the best I've had, and Ive had quite a few
radio's... Kenwood, Icom & Yaesu.
While I can not comment about the top of the
range japanese radio's, eg: IC-7800, IC-7700,
FTDX-9000, TS-990 & the Elecraft radio's. I'd put
my Orion mk1 up against any of them in a test &
not be disapointed in its performance.
While it may lack in certain areas of functions as
compaired with other radio's it's still a top notch
performer. I know the main thing in an amateurs station
is his antennas but if you have a good antenna with a
good reciever the world can be your oyster.
After all if you cant hear them then you can't work them.
Even on a big yagi if your getting too much QRM from
someone near by in freq. This is where my Orion works
very very well for me.
Remember your station is only s good as your antenna &
RECIEVER... in your radio.

TENTEC ORION (565) first class reciever...!

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2013 04:55 Send this review to a friend
W- RX-366 new second receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This new second receiver is red hot and hear weak DX for sure. The installations instructions were easy to follow.

thanks Ten Tec for being getting old radio back to life.

K6KSG Rating: 1/5 Nov 30, 2012 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TEN TEC Orion 565AT in 2003 when they first came out. I was never satisfied with the receiver. I had all the bells and whistles installed in the radio when I bought it. The receiver sounds like it is running wide open and many times the noise on the band comes through better than the signals. A very high noise floor. I have had this radio for 9 years and the problem started happening more frequenly with the radio locking up. It would lock up and there was no control to it. I sent it in to TEN TEC for repair, they could not find anything wrong with it. So they wound up realigning it. Now it is off frrequency by 300 Hz and my CW side tone has a strange note to it. It locks up more and I always have to reboot it with Master Reset. So I am going to get rid of it and get a Kenwood or Yaesu that works right. I am NCS on CW nets and need a reliable radio. I wanted to support TEN TEC but when one spends $4475.00 and it has the above problems, then it is time to look else where. I am very disappointed in Ten Tec. They wouldn't give me much of a trade in for another model radio, so I am done with Ten Tec.

K4JAH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2012 05:53 Send this review to a friend
A lot more radio than a rag chewer needs.   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my third time around with the Orion 1. I have a Omni 7 and a Jupiter also. It is a great sounding radio. It really dose not matter what all the spec. numbers that are put out say at a certain point you just can't hear certain signals. The radio is much better at hearing than I am. Great job Ten Tec I give you nothing but high scores. I sure would not lower it because of your manual. I am grading the radio. As is true with all my radios from Ten Tec you won't fine a quieter receiver any where. Easy listening is for me.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Still #1  Time owned: more than 12 months
This fantastic radio is still after Three years my go to rig .
The latest firmware is great with AGC overshoot gone and SAF really pulls out the ones that are in the noise. (I just used it again
tonight )
I only operate SSB so the ALC settings are 0.00s hang with P 5db/s ,S 10 db/s 'M 40db/s & F 80db/s .
Sweep works fine & I love the receive audio .(with the TT speaker)
Compared with the 170 serial menus in my FTdx 5000 ( A fine rig ) is is breeze to use and has better SSB receiver Roofing Filter 2.4 k ( 8 pole ) vs 3 k (6 pole )and the difference is noticeable on busy bands .
The NR works fine using TT info .
This is not in any a radio one would call flashy ;however it is still
the top performing high end radio out there .
Simple to use and very effective .