Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Orion Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Orion
Ten-Tec Orion Reviews: 98 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $3,300.00
Description: The Ten-Tec ORION represents an entirely new concept in high-performance HF transceivers. Ten-Tec's goal with this new groundbreaking design is to deliver the finest performance level to date from an amateur transceiver." Full measured specifications, pictures, and accessory information are available on the Ten-Tec ORION website
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Orion.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2013 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I look fer two things when I buy a rig ; best Receiver performance & Quality of Build .

The ORION is still the best SSB receiver ( 6.0 , 2.4 & 1.8 Hz roofing filters all of which are EIGHT POLE ) & is built like a TANK with Computer grade printed circuit boards !

I just upgraded to ver. 3.032x5 firmware & LOVE it ! After 10 yrs they are keeping my trusty ORION like new !

I've had an IC - 7700 , FTdx - 9000 & I still have a FTfx -5000 , but in contest conditions the ORION is the clear winner !

Best of all, I only paid $3300.00 NOT $4400. fer my ORION!

Keep up the good work TEN TEC !

IZ1OSP Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio tree years ago then the Icom ic 7700. I bought all the INRAD opzional filter and I put on 1 khz the 600hz filter for the first. Ten Tec had always make new firmer and the last 3.032x5 is fantastic. Receiver is great, many, many regulation and all works fine. Don't spend more money at used price is the better radio price/quality and the best in ssb.

Buy it!

'73

N7RST Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2013 08:46 Send this review to a friend
New to TT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired the Orion and don't have much experience with the radio so here are my impressions so far and will update later.

1. Really huge! OMG, thing is like 20 inches wide, 18 inches deep, and 6 inches high. This is not typical radio!
2. Radio to me seems to be more of an SDR type radio, lacks the hit the control and get the effect. You have to change settings which is a good thing or a pain. I haven't learned it yet.
3. 4 Pin mic plug with no mic ground. Come on. 4 pin mics went out 20 plus years ago.
5. RF Loop generator (as due to item 4 mentioned).
6. Scope for me is a bit hard to get the correct brightness/contrast. I am adjusting it more then I feel I should. Then again, for $2K more, I can get the orion 2 with the same or less rcvr performance just to get the colors.
7. Sometimes when I change say AN values, the receiver mutes and I have to "reboot". Hmmm.....
8. I don't notice the NB doing all that much. May be a learning issue here. Still working on that.
9. Meter is ridiculous. You talk or key, you get the meter movement. Seems a bit retarded to me to NOT have ALC reading on it. Strange indeed.

Again, there is much to learn and I may swap for the omni 7 which is a lesser performer and a bit smaller. Haven't decided on that yet.

G1KDU Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2013 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Reciever...!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say about this radio's reciever...
its the best I've had, and Ive had quite a few
radio's... Kenwood, Icom & Yaesu.
While I can not comment about the top of the
range japanese radio's, eg: IC-7800, IC-7700,
FTDX-9000, TS-990 & the Elecraft radio's. I'd put
my Orion mk1 up against any of them in a test &
not be disapointed in its performance.
While it may lack in certain areas of functions as
compaired with other radio's it's still a top notch
performer. I know the main thing in an amateurs station
is his antennas but if you have a good antenna with a
good reciever the world can be your oyster.
After all if you cant hear them then you can't work them.
Even on a big yagi if your getting too much QRM from
someone near by in freq. This is where my Orion works
very very well for me.
Remember your station is only s good as your antenna &
RECIEVER... in your radio.

TENTEC ORION (565) first class reciever...!

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2013 04:55 Send this review to a friend
W- RX-366 new second receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This new second receiver is red hot and hear weak DX for sure. The installations instructions were easy to follow.

thanks Ten Tec for being getting old radio back to life.

K6KSG Rating: 1/5 Nov 30, 2012 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TEN TEC Orion 565AT in 2003 when they first came out. I was never satisfied with the receiver. I had all the bells and whistles installed in the radio when I bought it. The receiver sounds like it is running wide open and many times the noise on the band comes through better than the signals. A very high noise floor. I have had this radio for 9 years and the problem started happening more frequenly with the radio locking up. It would lock up and there was no control to it. I sent it in to TEN TEC for repair, they could not find anything wrong with it. So they wound up realigning it. Now it is off frrequency by 300 Hz and my CW side tone has a strange note to it. It locks up more and I always have to reboot it with Master Reset. So I am going to get rid of it and get a Kenwood or Yaesu that works right. I am NCS on CW nets and need a reliable radio. I wanted to support TEN TEC but when one spends $4475.00 and it has the above problems, then it is time to look else where. I am very disappointed in Ten Tec. They wouldn't give me much of a trade in for another model radio, so I am done with Ten Tec.

K4JAH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2012 05:53 Send this review to a friend
A lot more radio than a rag chewer needs.   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my third time around with the Orion 1. I have a Omni 7 and a Jupiter also. It is a great sounding radio. It really dose not matter what all the spec. numbers that are put out say at a certain point you just can't hear certain signals. The radio is much better at hearing than I am. Great job Ten Tec I give you nothing but high scores. I sure would not lower it because of your manual. I am grading the radio. As is true with all my radios from Ten Tec you won't fine a quieter receiver any where. Easy listening is for me.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Still #1  Time owned: more than 12 months
This fantastic radio is still after Three years my go to rig .
The latest firmware is great with AGC overshoot gone and SAF really pulls out the ones that are in the noise. (I just used it again
tonight )
I only operate SSB so the ALC settings are 0.00s hang with P 5db/s ,S 10 db/s 'M 40db/s & F 80db/s .
Sweep works fine & I love the receive audio .(with the TT speaker)
Compared with the 170 serial menus in my FTdx 5000 ( A fine rig ) is is breeze to use and has better SSB receiver Roofing Filter 2.4 k ( 8 pole ) vs 3 k (6 pole )and the difference is noticeable on busy bands .
The NR works fine using TT info .
This is not in any a radio one would call flashy ;however it is still
the top performing high end radio out there .
Simple to use and very effective .

PA1AP Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2012 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Still my favorite rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the 565 for a couple of years in a row and its performance became the norm for me. Every time I use other rigs I cannot wait to return to my 565. The agc requires some art but just turning the rf gain down a bit until agc is above band noise is sufficient to get a really good receiver, almost like having a ssb squelch . No agc pumping with strong signals around, clean audio and the latest saf feature is really cool when copying signal in the noise. It really helps pulling the signal out of the noise. Recently tentec release a new firmware and they have made a serious improvement to the rig. Just amazing they spend all this effort developing new code and new sub receiver for a senior rig... its working as new again... I have not seen such customer focus anywhere else. With todays pricing tags varying around $2000 this is one excellent rig to have. Cheers, onno de pa1ap

WT8L Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2012 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Some improvements... but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Orion since they were introduced. I've kept up with the mods and firmware upgrades and recently, when the sub-receiver quit working, I took the opportunity to upgrade it rather than repair it. Good choice! The RX366 is a significant improvement over the stock sub-receiver. The new V3 firmware also has some improvements that are noteworthy, SAF for example.

Unfortunately, the NR and AGC are still an issue. On weaker (not weak, just weaker) signals the NR distorts the audio to the point of unreadability regardless of how aggressively it's set for. As another HAM put it, the NR is now just mostly useless rather than completely useless. On stronger signals, it does provide some relief from band noise. The AGC is also less than ideal for my tastes. The fact that the AGC and NR are interdependent is undoubtedly causing some of my grief with the AGC. I find that neither method suggested by Ten-Tec in the "optimization" guide has any meaningful affect on SNR. I spend WAY too much time playing with the decay/threshold settings trying to find the "best" setting.

Hopefully these issues will be addressed at some point in the future, but I'm having my doubts...