Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-93 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-93
Radio Shack PRO-93 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $250
Description: 300-channel dual-trunking scanner, covers 25-54, 108-174, 216-225, 406-512, 806-960 (excluding cellular) and 1240-1300MHz
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-93.

KI4BSL Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2005 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this scanner for a few years now.

I don't really have any complaints, other than the fact that it is hard to get cables for it. (Typical RadioShack, go figure.)

For a while I used it as a portable, but currently it is on the desk here in the radio room, plugged in with a power adaptor.

It does well rejecting intermod and interference. I have a PC located right below it with minimal effect.

So overall, if you have the chance to get one at a good price, go for it!

N6KEK Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2004 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very sensitive radio and good performer but on the Don Starr loader opening the blocked section you will find yes it does work but the bandpass filtering in the radio prevents any real useful benefit from listening out of the bounds of the filtering so really it is a waste of time unless you are very close to system you wnat to listen too in these blocked regions.

KI4BPF Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2004 02:30 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, owned for about 2 years. Unfortunately it is the Version 1.0.....not a big deal.

If you want a good scanner for the money and will be dropping it on the ground as much as I do, the Pro-93 or 95 is the way to go. 95 has 1,000 channels which is the only difference and I would definately buy it over the 93's 300 channels. But for $125 two years ago it isn't bad at all. The audio is good and it is loud too. Battery life is good. Fast scanning and easy button usage. Great scanner.

W6YB Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2003 18:36 Send this review to a friend
No problem!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As I'm writing this, I am listening to a trunking system on my PRO-93. This is my second scanner and my first trunking scanner. When my local PD and FD went to a trunking system I knew I would have to buy a trunking system. I like this scanner because of all the features it has a reasonable price. I covers all the trunking systems that and need to listen to and as no intermod problem, even here in the LA area. I seen no problems with this scanner and I see no eason NOT to give it a 5.

Andrew W6YB

GEM02SCANMAN Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2002 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Pro-93  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The pro-93 is well worth the loot of $249 I Just wish there where still on sale. I usually take it along with me in my car. I currently own the pro-93 1.03 version which means no alpha-tagg bugs. The things i like about the pro-93. Frequency range is great although it could be better 25-1300mhz, Fast scan/search rate, (better than the pro-92) Use's 4 AA's, (Unlike the pro-92 uses 6 AA's) Trunks and scans conventional freq's at the same time, pc interface, cloning capability, 12-character alphanumerics, Selectable lcd display settings and backlight settings. Switchable 20dB attenuator, Sensitivity's great! Over all great scanner to own.

6METERFM Rating: 1/5 Jul 28, 2002 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice features but needs help!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these a few months ago because of the features and the $169 price. I liked the alpha tag feature and the large display. The frequency covwerage was also impressive...even went down to 25 Mhz! I had been using a Uniden BC-80XLT hooked up to a VHF dipole antenna with good results. Once in a while you would hear a blurb of intermod come through, but it only had 5 scan banks and 50 channels. When I got the Pro 93 home and set it up, I was suprised to find I wasn't getting any reception on VHF Hi. (140-170Mhz)
I heard activity on VHF Lo, UHF and 800 but no matter what I did, attenuator on or off, I couldn't get a peep out of the VHF Hi band. Thinking I had a defective unit, I returned it and tried another one but with the same results!
I even tried the Pro 2053 which is the big brother base station version of the 93 and it
responded the same. Took it back and went back to my BC80. It then occurred to me that
it was front end overload! With the rubber duck you got the limited reception one would expect from that type of antenna, but once a external antenna is connected, the 140-170 Mhz portion of the receiver completely shuts down! I'm not in a rural area, but I'm not in a high intermod area either. We have one tower that has a paging transmitter on it within a couple miles and I would be suprised if that is the culprit. Anyway, either the receiver is TOO sensitive or the selectivity is extremely poor so if you live in an area with pager towers etc., make sure you try the VHF Hi portion of this scanner while you can still return it. You may find it wont work!

K1YZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2002 10:18 Send this review to a friend
The best hand held Trunk Tracker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It has a couple of quirks, like the display issue mentioned, but overall there's nothing even close available today. With 300 channels, and the ability to only have to enter the data channel(s) for a trunking system, it gives you plenty of capacity. Alpha tagging, free software, good receiver sensitivity and overload handling, and great audio make this a keeper. To learn the tricks and how to solve the quirks (like the blank display problem) of this excellent scanner, join the Pro-93 group on Yahoo.

Steve
K1YZ

PUTTNU2SLEEP Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2002 00:23 Send this review to a friend
Mixed Thoughts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I first puchased a pro-93 back when radio shack had it on sale for $169. Which was an awesome deal, I havnt seen it on sale below $199 since that one time. I had a little difficulty programming it, and when I inquired some help from the local radio shack knuckle heads, well you know how that goes I've got Questions and they dont have the answers.Anyway a day later I had it figured out that on (edacs)you cant program anything on channel 00 you have to start on 01. But once i got it going and tagged, It was awesome.
But around 2 weeks of having it, the display went out I mean the screen just disappeared. I had'nt abused the unit, in fact i babied it intensly as i do all my new toys. I took it back to radio shack and asked them what was the deal ,of course they didnt know.So i exchanged it and am hoping the life span of my new scanner is better the the first, so far 1 week since the exchange..by the way i had put my scanner on lawaway for the sale price, hence the reason for not having it long the first time.

KB1FPM Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2002 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first scanner. I purchased it about six weeks ago -- for most of the reasons noted in the reviews below -- after a lot of research. It hears very well and functions great -- a really superior addition to the shack. I did have to hunt around to find one with version 1.03 software, however -- most I found for sale were 1.00. According to word on the Yahoo Groups Pro-93 list, RS is now able to upgrade the v. 1.0 receivers.

NRDMAN Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2002 07:04 Send this review to a friend
An above average scanner with trunking.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these recently, and so far I am pretty impressed. I had been holding off buying a trunk tracking scanner, since I didn't want to get anything that used those awful Uniden battery packs, and wanted alpha tags. I had played with a couple of early PRO-92's, and didn't like what I heard at all. The newer ones are supposed to be much better, but I still wasn't too thrilled with a fresh one I messed with at RS. A 93 side by side was better in every band, especially in the 850MHZ trunked radio range.

If you have owned, or used, a Pro-43, you will notice some strong family resemblances. The sound is similar, the low battery beeps are the same, and performance seems to be pretty much the as the 43, except VHF seems less prone to intermod, especially in rail band. So far, with the stock duck, it receives as well as any handheld scanner I have ever used before. 800mhz reception is equal to my 43, and much better than my other handhelds.

As far as trunk tracking goes, it seems to lock on ID's perfectly, and I haven't seen it lose one yet. I used the Win93 software for most of the programming, but the keypad is fairly easy, but a novice would probably be confused about some of the features it has, and the terms used. There are a couple of errors in the manual that could be frustrating to some users. The method describing how to set a bank for open or closed mode trunk tracking is incorrect.

Pluses:
Very good reception.
Excellent battery life.
Decent audio.
Alpha tags.
Programming by PC.
No battery pack nonsense.
Per Channel or global attenuator.
Build quality appears much better than the Uniden BC-235 and 245 trunk trackers. The radio feels much more solid.

Minuses:

Only 300 channels could be a problem in big cities.
Doesn't do PL/CTCSS or DCS.
Limited number of trunked ID's.
Early versions have firmware bug that causes alpha tags to be duplicated in several banks. press 3 while the display says "welcome to dual trunking", and it will reveal the firmware version. Version 1.0 is the only one affected, the newer ones aren't.
It doesn't scan/search quite as fast as the Uniden TT radios do. At roughly 60ch/sec, it's still plenty fast.