Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ten Tec Model 238 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec Model 238
Ten Tec Model 238 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $445.00
Description: 10-160 L network Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec Model 238.

KA1YUW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2003 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had mine for a few months now and have been able to load up on all bands and get 1.1 swr at all times. Even on 160 meters. With all kinds of wire antennas. Good quality workmanship also.

KE5GK Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2003 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Best Manual Tuner I've Used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many others, I used at least six MFJ tuners before I purchased the 238 from an SK estate.

No comparison....This one is the real deal.

Yes, it's heavy..like in Heavy Duty. Easy to go back to previous settings. With MFJ tuners every day is like an "Easter Egg Hunt!"

Like all of the Ten Tec gear I have owned----it works great.

VE2DC Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2003 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Decent. Handles power  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for 10 years. A little tricky to tune the first time on any given antenna... never sure whether to start with the low-Z or high-Z position. Limited matching range on 160 without attaching external capacitors. Handles power without arcing. Inductor "turns counter" a bit unsophisticated. The lack of a switch for the meter lamp is irritating... if you leave it on, the bulb burns out. I just don't use the meter. One of these days I'll install some high intensity LEDs...

AC5E Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2001 18:46 Send this review to a friend
11 years/ no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 238 in August of 1989, just after I got back into ham radio. Having gotten used to Harvey Wells Z Match, and homebrew units from the 1950's I took it pretty much for granted. Until I tried other antenna tuners!
The 238 tuned to the same place each and every time. None of the others did. The others arced and sparked with even moderate power on 160, the TenTec tuned to 1:1 with no fuss or feathers. I even had one tuner with a tuning coil that was self resonant on 17. Bonfire!
So after 11 years, I own four 238's, one for each of the rigs I keep on line. Except for dial lights they have all been bricks. I build a tuning chart for each station - and anyone can be tuned and ready to go in seconds.
To sum up - A first class product from a first class company.

N8MIS Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2001 06:25 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have recently revisited the Ten Tec 238 tuner. I find that it works very nice. I have a beam that requires some help. I also use it on my dual coax feed 1/2 wave for 160. This is where it really shines. If you read up on the type of network I am sure you will be impressed. Most tuners are easy to use by the operator but when you are tuned it is sometimes not the best circuit for you antenna. The 238 will reconfigure the circuit to match the antenna. hence HIz and LOz. And it is built quite using high quality components.

VA7TT Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2000 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Works GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've recently taken delivery of the TEN TEC model 229 Tuner. I presume that it is the father of the Model 238.
I've read some negative points of view on the 238, but I've taken the hood of this tuner and no yellowing was found inside as someone else had mentioned. My antennas are the usual tribander/inverted vee setup and the tuner makes the rig and amp happy with a nice flat SWR for them to work into. I found the tuner a little awkward at first to operate, but this problem will go away the more it is used.
As for the lights/or lack thereof, you must remember that the tuner was designed by Ten Tec, and probably for use with Ten Tec radios. I've got an OMNI V that has a 12v outlet on the back. The lights in the tuner are either on or off depending if the Omni is on or off.
It's not an automatic tuner for sure, but it does what it is supposed to do at this QTH.
Would I reccommend one. You bet.

K5PSO Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2000 22:02 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
but yes, it is impossible to use w/o a power supply for the dial light. I used a flashlight when I first got mine. A switch would be nice, but otherwise, seems to be a great tuner, not really anything to ruin the company's credibility, but, hey, yeah, maybe a little oversight.

W7JBB Rating: 3/5 Oct 27, 2000 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Disapointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ratings are in whole numbers otherwise I would have rated the 238 as a 3.5
The L network has alway made a very good transmatch. Historically, switching the configuration has been the manufacturing turn-off.
I have no problem with the Ten Tec tansmatch working well and matching antennas. It matches very well. What I have a problem with is the "little" things. For instance it has no switch (cost a couple of cent) to turn the internal power off or on. One has to either plug in or unplug an electrical male fitting from the power in order to switch the tuners electrical power on and off. It comes with no power plug for its electrical needs. At $450 one would and should expect Ten Tec to provide the power plug and a switch with which to turn the units lights on and off.I never expected to pay $450 for a turner and have to run to radio shack and purchase a power plug only to discover that there was no switch for the power--just pluging in and unpluging the power. Now every time I wish to use my shack I need to plug in the tuner and remember to unplug the tuner before leaving. (And all this convience for $450.)
When my order was placed no mention was made of the factory being out of inventory nor was it mentioned on their web pages or in their advertisments. A couple of days later I was notified of their being out of the product. Because I had ordered early in the week I had specified and paid extra for 2 day freight. I requested that before shipping (because they had no idea of when the shipping would now take place)that I be notified so that I could change my shipping instructions to regular UPS service and not be charged for the extra service. They acknowledged that they Would Notify Me prior to shipping and we could change the delievery instructions at that time. Some weeks later, I discoved that my tuner had been sitting in a Fed Ex warehouse for 5 days. I was never notified of the shipping date nor was I ever given the opportunity to change the order back to regular UPS ground. Not only did the tuner sit in a Fed Ex warehouse for many days cause Ten Tec NEVER notified me of the shipping date, but I was still charged for 2 day Fed Ex.
I expected better customer service from Ten Tec.
I would rate their customer service as NON EXISTENT.

K8QT Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2000 09:19 Send this review to a friend
I like it........  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was a great deal compared to other high power tuners. At this point in time, it was the only reasonably priced tuner I could find with a company that had a reputation for quality behind them. I state again "in this price range I could fine nothing better"

I did take the cover off to look inside -- an earlier review posted on this web-site had me curious to see the inside! I had to see how it looked. Considering Tentec in their manual tells you that "taking the cover off does not void the warranty" My hesitation vanished and instilled further curiosity to see what it looked like. So out came the sheet metal screws and up came the cover.

There was "Nothing Yellow" in there. It was nice, bite, clean and silver looking all over. Just like one would expect it to be. There was nothing loose, not a rattle to be heard, lights work fine. I urge all to relax and go ahead with your purchase. It was a great feeling getting this in line and in use. Especially after looking inside!

How does it tune? Works Great on a Carolina Windom! This is one fine tuner with styling and looks! I am proud to own it.

AC5AA Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2000 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Simple tuner - works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used my Model 238 for well over a year not to tune an HF2V vertical on bands it wasn't designed to work on, and a G5RV Jr. the same way. Settings are repeatable (+/- normal small weather variations) and it works very well whether I'm running barefoot or 1500W through it. Gets the job done, and I have a perfect match in all cases except one - 17m on the HF2V can be brought to 1.3:1 as minimum. Still, very good. I recommend the tuner.

Regarding W4DLB's review below, if his tuner were purchased new, TT would have replaced or repaired it under warrantee. They are excellent at that (although I'm surprised at the problems he noted). If it was used, TT can still provide help. I've been impressed with their support the few times I've needed it.