Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna
HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $160
Description: Commercial grade. The G6-270R is a dual band colinear design using phased 5/8 wave elements on both bands. Two 5/8 wave elements are used on 2 meter and four 5/8 wave elements are utilized on the UHF band. The gain is 6 dB on both bands, referenced to a dipole. Note: uses type N connector.

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna.

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2017 23:17 Send this review to a friend
HIGH QUALITY AND HIGH PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I installed this antenna above my SteppIR DB-18E, and it's performance has been flawless. SWR on both VHF and UHF and very good. I can hit mountain top repeaters in southern California over 150 miles away using 50 watts output from my location using this antenna. I'm using quality LMR-400 coax, which I believe is the key to this antenna performing well. If you use cheap coax you will likely experience some issues IMHO. Assembly was as simple as it could get. I have nothing negative to report and would highly recommend this antenna to anyone wanting a high quality, high gain dual band VHF/UHF base antenna.

KA4PNE Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm disheartened to see that a few Amateur Radio Operators that have had problems with their "Hustler" G6-270R. It makes me wonder why the majority who have the G6-270R don't have any problems with theirs. I have owned two (2) of these antennas. They really are so very easy to assemble/install. And, the performance is top of the line! Saddly, I gave one away when I took a short 23 month hiatus from Amateur Radio. But, [that] antenna worked great. I was accessing repeaters over 35 miles away. My current G6-270R was purchased from AES in Orlando at a very reasonable price only a few months ago when I recently retired and moved to Central Florida and I've never had any problems with this new G6-270R. [It] is currently on the top of a 40' 'Channel Master' telescoping mast and I've had nothing but fantastic results with it. The SWR analysis has always been within acceptable; even better than anticipated limits both on VHF and UHF with my "Icom" 706MKIIG (1999) Transceiver. I've also used my Yaesu FT-2400H connected to the antenna and the results were just great. By the way, after some candid inquiries, I learned that a few of those that did have complaints were using the WRONG coax feed line. Impedence is something not to be taken 'lightly'. 73 KA4PNE

W3IIY Rating: 0/5 Jul 12, 2011 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Greetings, Well, I guess I should have read these reviews before purchasing my antenna but I did not.

I purchased the antenna based on the fact that a mono band 2 meter version has worked flawlessly for me for many years.

This dual band antenna is terrible. VHF seems to be OK with a good match center freq of 145.390 Mhz. UHF sucks. Best SWR (1.5-1) was at 440 Mhz. 2-1 at 446 and 2.2-1 at 448 Mhz.

After reading the reviews here I am doubtful if I will even attempt to speak to Hustler.

Based on the discussion here I would advise anyone to look elseware for an antenna. This antenna clarly is NOT worth the money.

Good Luck, Doug W3IIY

W0JBC Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2010 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Well Constructed and Robust  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna in the air at 35 feet for over ten years . It still meets the specs .
The feedline is LMR - 400 Ultra-Flex . It works just fine. No issues . I guess some of the unhappy campers were new to the hobby and just did not understand why good feedlines make the system work . It is robust . It is probably the best bang for the buck .
JB / WJBC

NT4I Rating: 1/5 Jul 31, 2009 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing VSWR on VHF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I debated if I should buy the antenna based on problems that some have posted here. I decided to take a gamble and now I am sorry I did. The antenna appears to be mistuned for VHF but works fine on UHF. The resonant frequency for VHF is 146.400 with the VSWR at 1.3 to 1 but rises quickly above or below that frequency. At 148.000 the VSWR is 2.5 to 1. I called the factory and they appeared to be clueless and said "Just send it back so we can look at it". Since it's about 8' long, shipping is expensive back to the factory in Texas; but the sticker on the antenna says Made in Mexico". I will think about it over night but I am leaning to bring it back to the dealer and exchange it for a large Diamond dual band.
I like the one piece sealed design of the Hustler but what good is it if I can only use it on a small portion of VHF. Very disappointing for an antenna that cost $200.

W4DMZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not sure why there are some bad reviews but this antenna was easy to install and mount on the roof of my two story home. I have 30 foot coax feed line to my Icom 7000 and the antenna works great. No tuning required. I have been hitting all the local repeaters out to approx. 35 miles.

N0AWN Rating: 0/5 Jan 28, 2009 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Dead out of the Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When we opened the box the screws holding the N conncetor fell out of the box. The connector was never fastened to the antenna. We installed the screws, but the antenna was essentially invisible to the transmitter. 30 watts up the feed line, 30 watts back.

Replacing it with a Diamond.

KC8JNV Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 10:21 Send this review to a friend
I like mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2, first one I dropped kinda hard, bent a ground radial and pretty much destroyed it. Second one worked then sat in a tube for 2 years while I was an apartment dweller. I opened it up and did not expect to get much out of it and to my surprise it's a solid performer still.
It sits on a 35' mast right now with FSJ4 hardline and I am running less than 1/2 watt with solid s-9 full quieting reports for repeaters that are 40 miles away, beyond that I need to use 5 watts. Sometimes on stormy nights I need to bump up to 25 watts but I have never had a need to use 50 watts on 2 meters, If you try pumping over 100 watts into this thing throw it out.... you probably killed it! But for 4 years of service (not including the 2 years it sat in a tube) It has done an excellent job. I started using another similar antenna (similar in size, and design) and it wasn't any better. I haven't tried anything over 14 feet to compare yet, but in due time I will.

KB9YLU Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2006 13:30 Send this review to a friend
This antenna is great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I dont understand the negative reviews of this antenna. This is a great antenna, American made 6 db gain not dbi. I am getting to repeators i never thought a vertical omni would get! I am only about 20 feet in the air,all i can say is if you find this antenna new or used get it you wont be dissapointed! 73's kb9ylu

N7ZKF Rating: 0/5 May 23, 2003 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The wife purchased this antenna from HRO.
After having it delivered via UPS,it sat in the shipping tube. I had to wait about 8 weeks to get my feed line for it. Once recieved I installed the radials and clamped it on a roof mount. The antenna from the first use till the time I brought it down was awful. Checking the VSWR it read about 6.1 on the VHF. I contacted the factory to be told it was factory tuned.I was told other than the radials being installed improperly, there was no way to tune it. ( A child could install the radials with eyes closed)
We shipped the antenna back at a cost of almost 50 dollars us. Now I wish the wife would have purchased somthing else. We wait for the factory to call or contact us via e-mail. I wouldn't recommend this antenna to my worse enemy.