Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna
HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna Reviews: 12 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $160
Description: Commercial grade. The G6-270R is a dual band colinear design using phased 5/8 wave elements on both bands. Two 5/8 wave elements are used on 2 meter and four 5/8 wave elements are utilized on the UHF band. The gain is 6 dB on both bands, referenced to a dipole. Note: uses type N connector.

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER G6-270R 2m/440 Antenna.

KC4FWC Rating: 2/5 Feb 25, 2002 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Will not handle high power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one too, thinking it was a neat looking deal, and used it for packet/repeater use. Originally the design called for 200 watts max, then they changed it to 100 after people started complaining. These antennas were purchased around 1993. Maybe they are built better now.

The weak spot was a small piece of RG-174 that attached the type-N connecor to the matching coil. The center conductor ran through a 5 pF capacitor, then to the radiating element. I ran a UHF system at 35 watts and a VHF system at 75. The voltages on the piece of RG-174 inside the antenna were high enough to burn through and destroy it. We sent it back to Hustler, they gave us a new antenna, and it did the same thing. It was then that we realized it would not take over 100 watts duplexed.

I do not know how well they are built now, but electrically they were not so great then. Their G6 and G7 mono banders are excellent! But I am not so sure about the dual band. Maybe if you run a normal base rig with under 50 watts it will work well for you?

W9CEO Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2002 23:28 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Commercial grade! The only assembly is to put on the four radials, clap it to a mast, and connect the coax. NO TUNING! It works great. My antenna is currently at 12 feet and I have no problems accessing a 2 meter repeater 30 miles away full quiting, which is what I wanted to accomplish. The way this antenna is built, I won't have to buy another dual band antenna.