Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Daiwa SS-330W Switching Power supply Help

Reviews Summary for Daiwa SS-330W Switching Power supply
Daiwa SS-330W Switching Power supply Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $139
Description: Dual Meter (Ampere & Voltage) 30A continuous Output <br> current; 5V - 15V Output Voltage

You can write your own review of the Daiwa SS-330W Switching Power supply.

F5NZY Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2007 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Light, Quiet, hight reliability...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Love this Daiwa Power Supply. I also own an SS-330X (no volt adj) for over 10 years without any problem.

This second one will stay in Normandy for my /P station.

Very good value for the money.

Stéphane, F5NZY

W6OWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2007 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Works great and looks good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine runs 24-7 and has been great with no birdies heard on any HF bands or VHU. Used in all modes SSB, FM, CW with IC 746 Pro and Ic-7000. Working all HF bands with no hash... in fact I noticed the hash from my Samplex 1223 supply on 80 meters when I ran both rigs at the same time on different supplies. Have pulled the Samplex and use the Daiwa supply to run all the rigs using a Rigrunner.
Yes, there is a slight fan noise but not anything like the MFJ 45 amp I had. A minor negative for the Daiwa is its size. If you are looking for an ultra small supply this isn't going to work for you. It is a little large and because of the handy handle it is not able to hold other rigs on the top to save desk space.
I think you will like this supply too.

KF6IIU Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2006 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice package but not *completely* quiet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A nicely packaged unit, capable of 30 A, very light and small, but puts out quite a few birdies on 20 meters and above and one or two S-units of hiss here and there on lower bands. If you don't need to transport it, get a non-switching supply, because all switching power supplies are apparently noisy to some extent. Fan runs continuously, but at a slow barely audible level when unit is not under heavy load. This unit is a tradeoff - 30A in a 5 lb, sub-shoebox-sized package. Unit can be converted to 220V operation (or vice versa) by moving an internal jumper.

W7DDD Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2006 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I notice a lot of reviews written after 15 minutes, or 2 days. I, maybe, have done that myself. Now, I force myself to wait 6 months to see if I've "fallen out of love!"

Great power supply. No noise. Two meters. Dead nuts on the voltage. No RFI/EMI. Cool, no make that, cold. I read about others that get hot. Make noise.

No noise. Can't tell if the fan's running or not. Don't know why they need a fan. My shack is in the basement. It's cold there especially in the winter. Lay your hands on a piece of metal - wow, that's cold. Run this baby all day, put your hand on the case -- not hot, not warm, not tepid, not cool ---- damn, that's cold! Why DO they have that fan???

Small. Lightweight. An easy keeper. Great price. Rugged. Go ahead -- find a better one. Don't think so.

W4ASH Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2004 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Light, Quiet, Nice Features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very nice, quiet power supply with features that I was looking for.

I wanted a supply that was small and light. I have a bad back and I don't want to be moving around a linear supply if deploying or setting up a station some where. I also like the fact that they put a carry handle on it, which makes someone less likely to drop it when transferring it. When I first got it, I could not believe that I could get 30A out of a little box like this. But it delivers.

Other features also make this a very nice power supply. The 330 now has the rubber bumper around front and rear perimeters like the 550, which is also very nice. However, they tend to slip off when getting bumped around. I may add some glue to hold them on.

The 330 has a detachable power cord. I don't like equipment with cords dangling out of them. They always seem to tangle when getting them out of your vehicle or taking them out of or off a cart. Cordage is kept seperate from equipment. Good job.

Dual meters for volts and amps. I hate having to switch a single meter when setting up a station to set and check these parameters, usually when things going on around me are kind of hectic. A quick scan of the supply and I can see what's going on with it. I wish the meter scale writing was a bit bigger though with nice red lines at critical points. I think I may soon add the red lines myself.

It's quiet. I had to put my hand behind the supply to feel the air coming out of it to verify that the fan was on. Also, though I haven't actively gone looking for the switching noise on HF, I haven't heard anything from it yet.

The 330 is a very nice, simple, feature rich, light, and quiet power supply. This one's a keeper.

KD7WXX Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2004 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Quiet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first, leary about switching PS but now love it. Bigger capacity than most, variable output (5-15v.) much less expensive than others, and completely silent (electrically and mechanically.) Small and light weight.
Bonus! Owners guide and safety documentation are hilariously funny translations to English, i.e: "For protect from lighting, please pull out the power cord from outlet when the thundercloud coming."
-On second thought, maybe I need to get out more.

KC2IQO Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2002 14:25 Send this review to a friend
MSRP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I INCORRECTLY ENTERED THE MSRP AS 139.00. THE MSRP IS ACTUALLY LISTED AS $165.00

KC2IQO Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2002 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this unit through Gigaparts for $139.00. I decided to try his unit despite the fact there was no listing for the product here on eHam with reviews. So I added this SS330W from daiwa today to the Power Supply category here.

After reading the mixed reviews on the MFJ 4225, I felt that the lower price of the Daiwa and the greater amp rating gave Daiwa the edge. Although this unit was advertised with a lighted meter display, it does NOT have a lighted meter. No big deal really since I don't usually sit in the dark operating equipment and the fact the gauges have a white background with a black needle and blue/red colored graph. As I listed in the description above, the voltage is adjustable from 5-15 volts and has a continous output current of 30 amps which is more than MFJ, I believe. The unit comes with a built-in cooling fan which I can't hear even with the room in absolute quiet. It also has a top mounted carry strap and comes with a 110 grounded AC power cord. The unit itself is super light and is 9.5" long, 5" wide and stands 4" tall (4.5" including top strap mounts). Power on/off switch is on front along with the DC output mounts/plugs and voltage adjustment knob. Despite the light weight, the unit does not move when pushing the power switch on or off. And finally, there are two lights on the front. One for AC power indication and the other for protected mode.

I have had this unit now for 5 days and it works well so far. It gets a 5 out of 5 from me.