Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ten-Tec Model 416 Titan II Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Model 416 Titan II
Ten-Tec Model 416 Titan II Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2,990.00
Description: Full QSK, legal-limit HF amplifier
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT416.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Model 416 Titan II.

K6KSG Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2013 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Signal attenuation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Titan III 417 for over 10 years now. It is a great amplifier. The original problem I had was the incandescent meter lamps burned out. I replaced them with LED's.
The second problem I had about five years ago the amplifier would not make power. I had called John at TT and he said they had made a modification to the filament line that goes through two PCB's then to the tube sockets. He said to unsolder the two green filament wires coming from the transformer to the A10 PCB, and splice and solder on a couple of #12 wires to the filament transformer green wires and go directly to the tube sockets. That solved that.
The third problem I have had was the linear was attenuating my received signals by about 20 or more db. I had TT send me a new SWR board and that solved the problem for a while. It later cropped up again. I found that on the SWR board A4, the darlington transistor on A14 (relay driver)was bad reducing the thru put of the received signal. Replaced it with a NTE46. All normal again.
Finally in April of 2013 I am NCS on a CW net and while copying one of the stations, a loud bang and all the lights went out on the amplifier. I later found the filament transformer was not working and ordered one from TT. Replaced the transformer and it still did not work after replacing the fuses. I found that on PCB A10 (Screen supply board) the Zener diodes D9, D10, D11, D12, and D18 were shorted or open. Replaced the Zener's. Found the Q8 IFR830 Mosfet was also bad and replaced it.
I was lucky to find a pair of 4CX800A's or ry-745 Russian tubes on eBay. It now has full output and working fine. I guess one of the original tubes flashed back and took out the above components. I am looking forward to another 10 years with this work horse.
This is a very good amplifier and I hope if anyone has similar problems, this will help.
Dick/K6KSG

WA2MZX Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2003 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the seventh amp to grace my shack and as far as I'm concerned it's the best. When I first set it up it was a bit rough to tune on 10 meters so I gave Ten Tec a call. After a brief discussion they had me ship it back. They found a few small problems which were fixed and also did an alignment and upgraded some components. When I got it back it was as smooth as silk on all bands. I have not had any problems since. Iread some reviews here which listed complaints about fan noise. Of all the high power amps I've had I have to say this one is just as quiet or quieter than others; these included 2 Alpha's and a Commander. I have never had a complaint about splatter and although I have no instruments to take measurements the amp seems to run as it should. I have also never noticed any "drift" on 160. There are always bound to be a couple of rigs made that have problems but as with any Ten Tec gear I've owned a phone call brought help right away.

K6XK Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2001 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Same as the other reviews with several reservations and notes.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Everything the others reported but...

On 80M and 160M it suffers "power drift syndrome" along with many other ham amps. This is caused by unstable, low quality ceramic 'padder' caps. used in parallel with the plate tuning and/or loading variable caps. in the tank ckt. I replaced mine with high quality, stable caps. and now tuning settings and power output remain steady during a long CW xmission. It's probably not a problem with SSB or short CW xmissions.

On 17M the plate tank loaded 'Q' is very high, causing excessive heating in the tank inductors. You can smell and feel heat coming from the tank compartment during a lengthly CW xmission. I place an exhaust fan over the vent holes when using 17M CW. I use a Nye Viking tuner at all times, so the SWR is always "perfect".

The blower fan in mine was VERY loud and caused a LOT of vibration of the whole operating table. I think it was out of balance. I built a pressurized platform frame for the Titan to sit on. It has a ten foot clothes dryer hose leading to a remote squirrel cage blower in a nearby closet. The air flow with this blower exceeds that of the original fan (which was removed). Now the amp. is very quiet, except for those keyed relays in CW QSK. I wear large surround cushion headphones to hide the relay noise.

These are the only shortcomings of an otherwise superb amp. I recommend it and would buy it again.

Roy K6XK

WA4IRE Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2001 08:00 Send this review to a friend
The Titan II is a winner.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the Titan II and needless to say I am very impressed with this amplifier. The Titan II uses one 4CX1600B. The Titan II will generate 1500 watts PEP output and 1000 watts output continous duty (100% duty cycle) with no time limit for SSTV and RTTY modes.

The Ten Tec Engineering department did their home work when they designed the Titan II. The 4CX1600B is protected against excessive control grid current which could result if the amp is overdriven by your transciever. If the amp is overdriven the grid overdrive light activates on the front panel and the grid current limiting circuit also activates and limits the grid current to a safe value. This is an important feature as the 4CX1600B's control grid can only safely dissipate about 1.5 watts before the tube is damaged.

The Titan II also employs a circuit which protects the amplifier from excessive plate current. This circuit will shut the amp down if IP exceeds 1.5 amperes.

The Screen grid of the 4CX1600B is also protected against negative screen grid current flow which can happen with the 4CX1600B. Also, a well regulated screen grid power supply is utilized. Ten Tec warns that the screen grid current can not exceed 55 MA under any circumstances. Before the screen grid reaches 55 MA the screen grid overdrive light activates warning you to correct the situation. Unfortunately, there is no protective circuitry to protect the 4CX1600B against excessive screen grid current. However, the inclusion of a protective circuit for excessive screen grid current does not appear to be necessary as the screen current seldom exceeds 15 MA (on the average) key down at 1500 watts. However, the inclusion of such a protective circuit wouldn't hurt.

As with all amplifiers the Titian II is most vulnerable to being damaged while one is performing the tune up procedure. If you are tuning the amp into an antenna with an SWR significantly greater than 2 to 1 be careful. In such a case, it would be wise to reduce the SWR or use an antenna tuner so the Titan thinks it is looking into a 50 ohm load.

The Titan II is designed to run very cool. The fan is very powerful and some would find the fan noise loud. However, you will be very impressed at how cool this amp runs when operating 1000 watts in RTTY or SSTV. After a short while you will get use to the fan noise and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that this amp won't fail due to a heating problem.

Ten Tec checks each Titan II before it leaves the factory. You will receive a work sheet showing the value for the Tune and Load controls and the expected plate and screen grid current values for these settings. These values are obtained by loading the Titan II into a 50 ohm, non inductive dummy load. if your antenna has an SWR less than 2 to 1 you can use the values given for the tune and Load controls for your initial settings. If your antenna has an SWR of 1 to 1, or you have an antenna tuner which can be adjusted to reduce the SWR to 1 to 1, these settings will be right on the money. This information is invaluable and will help you QSY with confidnece, speed and the least likelyhood of damaging the Titan II.

The Titan II employs two large analog meters which are very easy to read. One of these meters is dedicated to monitoring plate current and the other is a multimeter which monitors high voltage, screen grid current, forward and reflected power. Also, a peak reading LED wattmeter is included.

The Tune and Load controls are made of anodized aluminum with a rubber grip. These controls use a vernier drive and the tune up procedure is very precise and quick as a result.

The bandswitch is labeled unexpectedly for 30 meters as 40B rather than 30. For 17 meter operation select 15 meters and for 12 meter operation select 10 meters on the band switch. The band switch knob/shaft has been constructed in such a manner that is unlikely that it will ever break off in your hands.

In my opinion the best antenna tuner on the market today is made by Ten Tec. Check the specs on load matching. None of the other tuners on the market today come close. Also, Ten Tec's antenna tuner cannot be mistuned. Also, there is no danger of excessive circulating currents building up in this tuner which can result in arcing due to its design. Check out the Ten Tec web page and read the product information for this tuner for more details.

Ten Tec is famous for the quality of their QSK circuits. The Titan II is no exception when it comes to QSK operation. A QSK/PTT/VOX switch has been installed on the front panel of the Titan II. If QSK operation on CW is desired the QSK position is selected and this engages a 7 ms frame relay which does make a bit of noise, but in my opinion is far from objectional. Also, it is interesting to note that your electronic keyer or keying device is connected to the key input RCA jack on the back of the Titan II. Ten Tec supplies a cable which is connected between the amp key out RCA jack and the key input of your transceiver. The idea behind this is that your transceiver will not key the Titan II until it is ready to transmit. Simple but effective.

The Titan II is the only amplifier on the market today that employs an L PI L network in the final plate tank circuit. Also, the parasitic suppressor circuit for the 4CX1600B is located on a PC board which has a very short lead which makes connetion with the side of the 4CX1600B plate fins. The Ten Tec web page shows a good picture of this circuit. An IMD spec is not given for the Titan II but 3rd order distortion products are reported to be around 35 DB down according to Ten Tec. All things considered, the Titan II should be a very clean amplifier.

I have not had the Titan II long enough to evaluate the effectiveness of Ten Tec's novel approach to the placment of the parasitic suppressor circuit on a PC board adjacent to the 4CX1600B. I suspect that Ten Tec was concerned about the 4CX1600B's ability to amplify VHF/UHF parasitic oscillations big time and have come up with a novel design which will minimize the likelyhood of parasitic oscillations by keeping the connection between the plate of the 4CX1600B and the parasitic suppressor circuit as short as possible.

The Titan II sells for $2990 and has a 3 year warranty (parts an labor). Ten Tec also handles warranty claims on the 4CX1600B tube.

I was also very impressed with the Sales and Service staff at Ten Tec. If my Titan II ever needs repair I am confident that the Service Department will be responsive and will fix the problem on the first try.

In conclusion, if your looking for a well designed, well priced, almost bullet proof, rock crusher amplifier, backed by a company that can service what they sell, consider the Titan II.

K2UOP Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2000 12:56 Send this review to a friend
MY FIRST TENTEC AND I'M SUPER PLEASED  Time owned: unknown months
To be honest, when I was deciding to give myself a
Christmas present, the Titan did not even cross my
mind, because I hadn't seen any ads for this amp.
I had another amp on order, and the delivery date
was pushed back several times. Anyway some of my
friends told me about their satisfied experiences
with Tentec, so I gave them a call. My call was
answered by Mr. Stan Brock, Tentec sales department. What a delight it was to talk to a person that was knowledgeable about a product and not just a person that takes orders.
All my technical questions were answered to my
satisfaction, and I placed my order. The Titan II
was in my possession three days later. I had
faxed a copy of my license to them so the 10M mod
was included. I did the mod first, which consisted
of removing the bottom cover of the amp and
swapping a pc board. Then I installed the plate
transformer. The top cover and one side panel had
to be removed to accomplish this task. To facititate this task, they had left screws out of
the top cover. The 45 lb. xformer just slides in
the side, and two plugs are attached. Of course
while I have the covers off, I had to look inside my pride and joy. The quality of parts are first rate and the constuction is superb. Well how does this baby work? I waited to submit this report until I worked a few contests, so I could really put it through it's pacess. Stan was correct, the fan is louder than my other two amps, but then again, after running 48 hours continuously the fan output port was just warm.
Once I got familar with the tuning procedure, it
easily tunes up to maximum rated power. My dummy
load is only rated at a KW, but I just had to run
the amp up a couple of times to see what this baby could do. Well it easily makes 1500W, and I stopped there, because I don't like the smell of cooking mineral oil in my dummy load. The band switch is hefty, the tuning and load controls are very smooth, and the large meters are easy for my aging eyes to read. The plate current is monitored all the time and the other meter reads a choice of screen current, plate voltage, fwd pwr, or ref pwr. There is also a bar indicator that reads peak power at all times. I have been
real careful with my tuning procedures, so I haven't tested the protection devices yet. hi hi To say the least, I am very pleased with this unit in every way. Sorry for the long report, but my enthusiasm runnith over.