Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden UBC-780XLT Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden UBC-780XLT
Uniden UBC-780XLT Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $395 USD appx street price in Eur
Description: European - Australian version of BC-780XLT
500 channel "Trunk Tracker Three".
Cutting Edge Trunking Scanner w/ FULL 800 Mhz
More info: http://www.javiation.co.uk/ubc-780xlt.html

You can write your own review of the Uniden UBC-780XLT.

N1AUP Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2010 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Owned for about six years. Very good unit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this unit to listen to the nearby city's EDACS system. In short, the radio seems to work fine. I live at 1200 feet above sea level. I also live 8 miles from a very strong FM broadcast station, and about 4 miles from a moderate strength AM station. I don't have it hooked up to an omni antenna at 40 feet, but I see no evidence of overload, or desensitizing on the whip or on an external omni antenna in the attic. Trucking works perfectly, and it's easy to use ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE TRUNK TRACKING IDEA. I have a college education, and it still took me some reading and talking to people to figure out how this unit works. Not intuitively obvious to people who grew up with normal, programmable scanners.

SWLABN Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2006 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this receiver when I worked my butt off doing grouse beating (of all things!) and got some money to make the purchase. I'm very glad I did. This is a perfect companion in everyway.

No problems to receive on any frequencies and I have had good success with a variety of antennas.

OH5TK Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2006 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner for base  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my UBC780xlt from my friend.I have been used this receiver 1 month and itīs works great.Receiver is sensitive.I recommend this!

BLUENOSE65 Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2006 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Great for Airband and SBS-1 virtual radar!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this scanner here in the UK for a couple of years now, Aircraft are my main listening spectrum and this is superb on the 780! I can here Manchester ground controller and vehicles on the runway from 25 miles away, and high level aircraft from >250 miles away! Very flexible bit of kit as you can use mobile or base! I Have recently purchased the SBS-1 virtual radar system here in the UK and the 'box' provided sits nicely on top of the 780!(almost the same dimensions) what a great combination! Watching real time movements on your radar screen and listening to the area frequency, and communications between the aircraft you are watching and ATC is superb!!

Regards, Steve

VK7ZJA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2004 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Not too hard, not too soft, just right!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Normally, I am quite a controlled person - if I see a new radio, I'll research it to death before buying it. Not this one. It appeared at my local store with a $50 off special, and I ended up impulse buying it. I was not to be disappointed.
Firstly, on a scanner that can trunktrack etc etc as this one, it is by necessity complex. The manual definitely helps here - it is simply excellent.
As mentioned, it has multiple Motorola trunking schemes, EDACS narrow & wide, and LTR trunktracking, as well as CTCSS, DCS decoding, 400 memories, 10 user search banks, 5 predefined quick service searches, wonderful backlighting of the display and keys & volume / dial controls. It also has excellent audio - probably the best, most rounded audio I've ever heard from a mobile type unit, but you've got to use an extension speaker. The internal speaker is too small for proper audio reproduction.
It is not too bad to drive, and my gosh, it is lightning fast on scan and search. It has picked up numerous signals that were only transmitting for a short time in the military aero band that I would have otherwise missed completely.
It's reasonably sensitive, though does droop away at UHF and 800 MHz, but not bad - especially if you are to be using an external antenna with it (car or base).
But, if you do use an external antenna, you will be quite busy putting the attenuator on many channels - FM broadcast band signals will wipe out the VHF channels quite effectively until you use the attenuator. The same thing probably happens to a slightly lesser extent in a very crowded UHF band, though strong UHF TV signals don't seem to cause any problems at all.
Uniden did their ergonimics homework well on this one - it is logically laid out, and quite easy to use day to day, once set up with all your preferred settings, channels etc.
What more can I say: features galore, trunktracking, reasonably sensitive, average selectivity, brilliant audio, easy to use considering it's complexity, scans & searches like lightning.
Worth the money even if it didn't have the trunktracking features. If it had better selectivity & general interference rejection, it'd be the perfect 'all rounder' for anyone.

KEVIN Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2003 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Scanner overall  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The best scanner i've ever owned. Very sensitive.
Only problem is i would have liked to have seen more search banks, and scan banks.

KC9AYN Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2002 23:20 Send this review to a friend
CANT WAIT FOR DIGITAL MODEL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
HAVE NOW OWNED THE UNIT LONG ENOUGH TO DO EVERYTHING I WANT. THE VFO IS ON THE TOP LEFT, WHEN NOT USING THE KNOB AS A ROTATING CHANNEL CHANGER, PUT IT IN ONCE, AND IT BECOMES A VFO. THE RECEIVE COULD BE A BIT BETTER, HAVE USED ROOFTOP ANTENNA AS WELL AS RUBBER DUCKIE STYLE ON BACK.
CANT WAIT TO SEE THE NEW DIGITAL UNIT, SINCE MANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES ARE GOING TO TRY DIGITAL.

K3KZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2002 08:47 Send this review to a friend
HOW TO OBTAIN ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does this scanner have a VFO ? How would I go about buying one ??

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2002 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Freedom Version - "Yes it does" wink-wink  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All around great scanner. And...Yes it does !