Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole
Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $39.95, 29.95, 59.95
Description: Three variations of G5RV - standard 102', 1/2 length 51', double length 204'
More info: http://www.antennasmore.com/g5rv.htm

You can write your own review of the Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole.

K9DXL Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 16:36 Send this review to a friend
A sturdy G5RV  Time owned: more than 12 months
My G5RV from Antennas & More is going into its third winter here just one mile from Lake Superior. It has handled wind, snow, and ice without any problems. As for performance, it has exceeded my expectations. My antenna is just 35' up at the center, with the ends sloping down to about 15'. I've worked my share of DX with it, including the Clipperton, Swan Islands, and Desecheo DXpeditions. (Sometimes barefoot, sometimes 500 W. out.) 20 meter performance is good, as expected from a G5RV, but I've had good results working 75 - 15 meters. (Nothing on 10 so far.)
The only "improvement" I would suggest is an eye or hook for hanging it inverted "V" style. I resolved this small problem by making a sling for the center insulator out of heavy duty, UV resistant cable ties.
Like all G5RV antennas, a tuner is needed. I use an MFJ-986 Differential T with roller inductor. The antenna tunes up sweetly and repeatedly at the same settings every time. I have no experience with the tuners built into various rigs.
I don't really need a stealth installation, but this antenna just disappears into the trees where it hangs.
What else can I say? It works well and has survived less than gentle weather. The Antennas & More G5RV is a great value!

WM3M Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2009 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Works Great, gets out well..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the G5RV full size, 132 ft, I installed it as an inverted V, with the center in a tree at about 50 ft., fed it with about 100 ft of 75 ohm, RG6. It worked great, needed a tuner, I used my LDG AT200. I worked 20 mtrs pretty much around the world, noise levels were much lower. First time I used it I heard a station in Moscow calling CQ and worked him with no problems. Great antenna, made well and it pretty much disappeared, very hard to see it once its up. It is light, easy to put up almost anywhere. Unfortunately it got hit by lightning, blew it apart in the center. I salvaged what I could and decided to try and make a G5RV jr out of what was left. I sent an email to Antennas and More asking for the dimensions of a G5RV jr, he called me that night and said to send it back and he would repair or replace it for free, even though it was in no way his fault, I was truly surprised and grateful. Emory WM3M in MD.

WB2REI Rating: 3/5 Jul 14, 2009 08:25 Send this review to a friend
So So Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, the antenna puts out a respectable signal on 80-6 meters. However, during the first decent wind, the connection to the Pl-259 failed. Lack of strain relief in the basic design. I emailed the company for support and received zero response. I think I am going to fill the connector with epoxy when I put it back together. You may want to do the same before you put yours up too. Other than that a nice multiband wire alternative.

KW4DP Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2009 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Great well constructed antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first G5RV antenna I bought at the Dayton Hamvention 2000. I bought it from Antennas West (now Antennas More) and it has been a very good and dependable antenna. I have it up 45 ft and is supported on the ends by trees. A tall pine in the back and an oak tree in the front of the house. I begin in Ham Radio in 1968 and before the time I purchased the G5RV I had always used regular dipoles for 80 and 40 and a tri-band beam. I use the G5RV only on 80 and 40 as I have a hybrid mini-quad on the rest of the HF bands. This G5RV has performed great for me and I always keep an extra on hand. I am on my 2nd one, I gave the first to a friend to use.

I have read lots of articles about antennas and I hear people talk about the G5RV antenna being a compromised antenna. So I have been trying to determine why it is a compromise and have not really found it so. My next antenna project is to put up a full sized 80 meter dipole and compare it to the G5RV and see if I or anyone can tell the difference.

During the last 4 years I have seen many antennas that were touted to out perform the G5RV and when they say that I have to check them out. I have compared the following antennas against my G5RV using an A/B switch with both antennas oriented in the same directions and same height. My G5RV is the 102’ version from Antennas More with 30’ drop twin lead to a balum fed with RG-8X.

1. Radio Works Carolina Windom I had read their ads which says that it out performs the G5RV. Well I can tell you there was no difference in received or transmitted signal strength. There was a great deal of difference in the amount of noise on the Carolina Windom so much that signals that were not in the clear on it I switched to the G5RV and behold a nice clear signal with a little better s meter reading. So after I was satisfied that the G5RV worked better than that one. The Carolina Windom came down and I sold it.

2. The Mystery Antenna it also touted to be similar to the G5RV but better. So I built one and put it up same orientation and height to do comparisons. My findings were that it was a little better than the Carolina Windom but still not quite as good as the G5RV. So after a short time of comparisons down it came and it was stored away.

3. This time I ordered the Ultra Lite Cobra all band antenna which is supposed to cover 160-6 meters. So up with the Cobra for comparison. I could tell right away from the receive signal strengths between the G5RV and Cobra that the Cobra wasn’t going to cut it. Wanted to try so I did. Tried on 80/40 meters and signal strength was less than the G5RV. Decided to try it on 160 and my LDG AT-1000 antenna tuner would not bring it to a usable VSWR so I played with it a few days and down it came. My remaining antenna and winner over all the others “Antennas More” 102’ G5RV made from anti-kink insulated wire and TV type twinlead. This is a very durable antenna and a great performer. Haven’t found anything in the multi-band antennas that will beat it. The ½ wave dipole for 80 meters will be the next I compare it will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference.

AE5RC Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2009 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Full Size G5RV Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham for 19 years. My antenna set ups (in different locations) have been limited due to lot size. In my current location I found a way to get the 102 foot version of this antenna to fit available space. I installed it 40 feet at the apex with the ends at about 25 feet or so. I had to add a short piece of RG8 (10 feet) to get from the twin lead to the bulkhead coax connector in the window plate. Running this through an LDG Z-100 I was amazed at the signals on 80, 40 and 20 meters. It has opened up hf just a little more than before. Already enjoyed some nice qso's on 80 meters with only 100 watts. The antenna is well built and sturdy enough. The no kink insulated wire is easy to work with as well. This version of the G5RV is a nice compromise antenna. It is not a beam but will allow you to get on several hf bands with a good tuner. Based on preliminary results I'd recommend it to anyone. Get one, get it as high as possible and you will no doubt enjoy the results. By the way I did purchase this antenna while Antennas and More was offering "no shipping charge" which made it even better!!

K4PDQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2008 07:28 Send this review to a friend
All G5RVs are not the same  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got around to putting up this Antenna that I had purchased from A & M back in January. The antenna it replaced (at least for now) was a home brew Windom 80, which worked very well. I beleive there are a few reasons that G5RV antennas get a bad rap in general. One is all are not constructed the same way and this antenna is well made and very simple. The other reason is the way the antenna is installed, especially height...it needs to be up at least 45 feet and the vertical needs to hang straight down. After installing this antenna, I got many reports of very loud signals from all over. I also had two local hams order the same antenna after hearing how it worked. If you are looking for a multi-band antenna (tuner required) and have the space to put it up, this one is hard to beat.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 10:39 Send this review to a friend
NOT BAD AT ALL!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I must say this antenna works MUCH better than I would EVER had guessed.I only use it for 75 & 40 meters & it does NOT let me down.It does NOT compare with my Mosley TA-53M on 10-20 meters but does OK on those bands should an emergency arise.The antenna is VERY WELL put together & I think it will last a VERY long time.For the money tough to beat WIDE BAND coverage with a tuner! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

KC2PHJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2007 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for the Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 1/2 size G5RV (40m-6m) and for the money it is a great antenna. I have it 30-35 ft. above the ground slug between two trees. Get decent signal reports with the contacts made. I hear them and can talk to them. Great first antenna.

NL7V Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 05:56 Send this review to a friend
G5RV TRUE-TALK-I  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The G5RV antenna by WA2NAN is well built and works. I set up a portable station in PA for two weeks and made contacts in Europe and Africa on 20 meters running 100 watts with the antenna 20 feet high. It was used to make contacts on all bands using a tuner. The True-Talk-I will be set up at my home QTH in Alaska. I am thinking about purchasing the 6-160 meter version for a remote cabin in Alaska. I won't be building anymore dipoles. Thank you Kerry for a great multi-band antenna.

KI4HBX Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2006 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna I got the 204 ft version, It is built great and tunes to all bands.