Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole
Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $39.95, 29.95, 59.95
Description: Three variations of G5RV - standard 102', 1/2 length 51', double length 204'
More info: http://www.antennasmore.com/g5rv.htm

You can write your own review of the Antennas & More G5RV Multi-Band Dipole.

KB2UBH Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2005 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Good but.......  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this antenna for a little over 3 months. First antenna up at new QTH. I received the same email message as W7DDD but was lucky enough to receive the antenna a few days later, also packaged the same as his. Didn't hurt the antenna any. While it preforms admirably from 6-40 (I have the 51 f'ter)my doublet I put up consistantly kicks it's butt at least in receive. (STILL only a tech) Build quality was very good and the weather here in upstate NY hasn't bothered it a bit. Good, easy antenna to throw up in a pinch.

N7SWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2005 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Delivered as promised...excellent performer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the G5RV last September and didn't get it up until the weather finally cooperated last weekend. My 8 year old son helped me get it setup and located about 40 feet in the air suspended from a few Ponderosa pines in the backyard. Ran 100 feet of coax to the shack and got right on the air. The antenna is well constructed, easy to handle and fairly light weight. It tunes up quickly on all bands as advertised and will (reluctantly) tune up on 160 meters. This antenna is an excellent listener on all bands, quiet and sensitive. I receive very good signal reports on all QSO's. I received the antenna in just two weeks as promised. I live in a city neighborhood and the full size (102') fit easily in an inverted V configuration. The Antennas & More G5RV proved to be the perfect antenna for my situation. I am very pleased and would recommend this antenna highly--especially if you can only get one antenna setup due to space or neighborhood constraints.

KA4SSH Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2005 13:28 Send this review to a friend
SOLID ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
HAD ABOUT 5 YEARS MY FIRST WIRE ANTENNA IT WORKS ON ALL BANDS EASY TO TUNE AND HAVE NOT HAD TO TAKE DOWN JUST VERY DEPENDABLE--

N8UW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Get the technotes, too  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is what it is. I have the 102 and the 51 foot models, and have made plenty CW contacts at home and in the field, DX and domestic. The one at the home QTH is up about 25 feet. Actually come in mid-pack in some QRP events with modest equipment and skills. The internal tuners in my K1, TS570 and the tank circuit in my AL-80B have no trouble loading full power into the 102 footer on 80-10M except 30M. The Antennas and More version is made with rugged materials, and I doubt I could have done such a good job for the price. Great beginner's antenna - buy it, hang it, hang it again and again, take it to the field, and operate.
I sent away for the Antennas and More $7 technotes for the G5RV. In addition to the information available on the web about how it works on different bands, there are radiation pattern plots and discussions about radiation patterns at different frequencies, heights, and configurations. There is also a detailed description of how to make your own. It is a poor copy of something done on notebook paper, and some of the parameters in the plots are not readable, but I still suggest anyone who wants to really know what their G5RV is nominally capable of, spring for the technote.
There are several upgrade paths from this, but again, great for a beginner like me to get on a lot of HF bands quick & cheap & rugged.
Chuck, Vegetarian Ham

W1GYF Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2003 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Luv dat G5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My G5 is a half-size - not an A&M. I love it. With my AEA AT-300 tuner, I get a perfect or near-perfect match on every band 40-10. Actual results are definitely very satisfactory. I did a lot of arithmetic and settled on 39' for the coax length.
Later, I realized that that's not wonderful for 17M. With much fiddling, though, I eventually got a perfect match on 17, too. Mine is sloped with the high end at 50' and the low end at 22'. I have the impression on receive that this is a low-noise antenna.

CASPER669 Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2003 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Not for those short on space...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
G5RV 204' (102'x 2) with 35' of line. I bought one off of E-Bay about 8 months ago and used it flat-topped on my roof. It worked OK, but felt it could do better. I bought a smaller one (70' total length) and mounted it at about 35' as an inverted V. The new one would not tune to the 160 meter band and only in certain areas of the 80/75 meter band. I then took the original G5RV and sloped it. I removed the SO-239 connector then attached a 4:1 LDG Balun and ran a 25 foot coax to my AT-11MP AutoTuner. It will now tune ANY band in less than 6 seconds and the G5RV has better receive on the lower bands (160, 80/75, 40 and 30). My Antron 99 gets better receive on the 10, 12, 15 and 17 meter portions. For 20 meters, I switch between the two, hoping that one will work better than the other. In any case, the G5RV 204' works well. I know if I could slope it at a better angle, it would work better. I don't have an abundance of room, making this length of antenna difficult for me to install. If you have the room, and don't want to spend a paycheck on a better than average antenna, this is the one for you. Enjoy!

Chris KC2KFW

G4MQB Rating: 4/5 Aug 19, 2002 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Works fine but build your own!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use a full size G5RV to good effect, but it's a cheap home made version, not an expensive commercial one.

N0AH Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2002 13:22 Send this review to a friend
$60 all bander???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mounted as an inverted V the 204 foot double length G5RV. The internal tuner of my Yaesu FT900 is tuning it with no problems from 1.8-30MHz- Was doubtful the internal tuner could load up on top band but no problem. The antenna is mounted at 75 feet on a tower with the ends pulled out 130 feet on each side- The ends are about 20 feet off the ground- Hears as well as my Butternut HF2V vertical- but it's a bit quieter on noise as expected. Great back up emergency antenna which is why I bought it-

WR3K Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2002 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent All Putpose Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Blew $400 on a ground-mounted vertical, only to find the half-size G5RV is 2 S-units better on higher bands (20, 17, 15, 10) and 4 S-units better on 40m. OUCH! So I bought the full version also, and due to space restrictions, just mounted it on top of a fence only 7 feet off the ground. That one is not as good as the vertical on 20, of course, due to the low height, but still outdoes my attic dipole and the vertical on 40m and 75m by a bunch. If you can do a wire antenna, save your money and get the G5RV. Best thing short of a yagi. Full version has gain over a dipole on 20.

K6ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2002 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Classic design with simple reinforcements  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the standard (102') version 80m-10m and sold it...I would later regret it. So, I bought the double (204') version 160m-10m, which is "twice as nice". I use the G5RV-D for receiving only on HF/SW...but I can tell you that this antenna is built ROCK SOLID. I have yanked, pulled & stretched this thing, trying different configurations...and have had NOT ONE BIT OF TROUBLE WITH IT. The antenna comes with a Lifetime (No Questions Asked) Warranty, so I guess with that...and A&M being a one man operation...he doesn't want anything coming back. LOL! This is a VERY well built antenna, and comparitively inexpensive...comes with Quiet-Flex feedline (maybe 30+ feet of it), insulators on each end, terminated with a PL-259 and also includes an SO-239/SO-239 bottle connector. Requires a tuner to transmit, safely. EXCELLENT ANTENNA...YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!