Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter Help

Reviews Summary for SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter
SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $11.95
Description: Adapter allows you to:
Quickly change your antennas to base, mobile or different style use. Use the more popular and wider selection available of BNC antennas. Prevent chassis connector wear or from coming loose due to having to change antennas
More info: http://www.wa3hrl.com/smabnc/

You can write your own review of the SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter.

K7RNO Rating: 2/5 May 18, 2013 22:26 Send this review to a friend
Mine did not work...but it opened a new, better window  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Following the raving reviews, I ordered one for my Yaesu FT-60. It arrived quickly, and that is where the good news end. The rubber bushing of my sample may have been a tad too tall, or it was not glued sufficiently inside, but I could not get the BNC antenna mount to fully engage—the adapter would rotate with the antenna mount and never seat fully.

Steve was very accommodating in suggesting remedies (like cutting off some of the bushing) but at the end offered to take it back for a full refund, which I accepted.

In exchange, I got the Diamond SMAP-BNCJ adapter, a rock-solid design in comparison. It does require an o-ring for my HT to seat properly, but once that is done, it works like a charm, quick, smooth, and without pressure. Sorry Steve, I really wanted to like yours.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2012 21:07 Send this review to a friend
GREAT USEFUL PRODUCT   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used his adapters for several yrs .
I have no complaints .
I know if someone had a problem he would replace it without any charge .
I am currently using one on my Kenwood TH D-72A , Yaesu VX-7R and one on my Yaesu VX-3R.
He is a straight shooter .
Give him a try .
You will not be disatisfied with his product or customer support .
Chuck N4UED

KB1NXM Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got some for our VX150's about 4-5 years ago. While they may not be miracle devices, they do provide a nice snug fit, and possible water seal. Better support for the antenna, much better than my all-metal adapters which rely entirely on the tiny SMA threads for support. Really helps with the somewhat unwieldy MFJ end-fed half-wave monster. Only minor annoyance is, the snug fit can make it a little tricky getting the BNC antenna separated from it.

I've given mine some rough use, dropped the HT a few times with it on it which is really not good with a rigid antenna. So after 4 years, one of my adapters eventually gave way. I can't complain given the abuse it got. They are designed to do that, to break first and hopefully protect the SMA on the HT.

WA4SCA Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic product and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was aware of the product, and when I ordered an Alinco DJ-G7T, asked Stephen if he had an adapter. At the time he didn't since the rig was new, but he sent me some things to measure to see whether one would fit. After the rig arrived, I sent the requested measurements, and some pictures. He had one which looked good, and even sent me one on the honor system before my check got to him. The adapter arrived, and is a perfect fit. You have to look twice to realize that it is not part of the rig. Stephen is both a craftsman and a gentleman.

KR8Q Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2009 23:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you need to use a bnc - sma adapter this the one to have. Carrying an ht using one the oem accessory adapters is just asking to have the sma connector broken. These are made to fit whatever rig you have exactly, and greatly reduce any leverage that could be applied to the connector. They even have a "break away" feature so that the adapter will break (hopefully) before the connector on the radio does if any excessive force is appied. Stephen is great to do business with. I had the 2 adapters I needed before my check even reached him, much less cleared the bank. And he stays in contact by email through the shipment / delivery process to make sure everything works out, and that your satisfied with the adapters. Great product. Great guy to do business with.

KI6GVV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2008 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellance at its best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received the connector today for my ft-60 and what an awesome product. Even has the little ring part that does down inside just like the factory duck. Quality work. Stephen is a pleasure to do business with and responds quickly to emails.

Another great American product

Brad
N3BSW

AJ4EM Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2008 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Best defense for HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've now had the opportunity to recommend this for someone else in addition to the one I use on my Kenwood TH-G71A. Swapping the duck for the truck mag-mount daily as well as occasional satellite with a WA5VJB cheap yagi with the SMA was painful. Now I don't worry. It's not just a gasket, but a support as well. To be honest, I would prefer an SMA mount with this adapter to a pure BNC antenna connector on the H/T, it's that good.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2007 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit and support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a sturdy unit that protects the SMA connector. A rubber bushing provides support so there's no worry in connecting an oversize antenna on my FT-60R HT. No worries in snapping off the connector because too much pressure is placed on the connector. I had another HT where I did not invest in this protection and the cost of repair far exceeded the cost of these adaptors.

Steve has connectors for many units, ships fast on the honour system, and keeps in contact. Very pleasurable experience.

KE5JKJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Product & Support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I was reading Kenwood HT reviews, a recurring suggestion was to replace the stock duck with a better antenna. There seemed to be more choices with a BNC connector so I focused on an SMA-to-BNC adapter as the first step. There are a lot of them out there but I had read about KC2BHO's custom made unit in several HT reviews. I had not seen the reviews posted here and, at first, $14 seemed a bit steep for one of these units. After reading a bit more about it, I took a chance and was pleasantly surprised at the level of response from Stephen.

He shipped without first receiving payment (his idea) and there was a regular exchange of emails throughout the transaction. If only I got that kind of support from the online retailers of ham gear. This was my first HT and first BNC adapter but I could see that it is well made, fits perfectly and, barring damage, I would expect it to last the useful life of the radio. If it had been defective, I am sure Stephen would have replaced it without delay. I plan to order another one shortly as a backup anyway.

W6WWE Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2007 17:23 Send this review to a friend
It Just Works !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Yaesu FT60-R handheld and heard great things about the Pryme AL-800 telescoping antenna, so I bought one not realizing that the AL-800 had a bnc connector.

Since my Yaesu has a sma antenna connector, I needed an adaptor. When I got a bnc-sma connector from the radio shop, I was amazed at how flimsy the antenna connection was.

Hearing about Stephen Gulya’s adaptor, I decided to get one and try it. I was very impressed with Stephen’s rapid email correspondence and when the adaptor arrived, it made all the difference in the world on my radio’s antenna connection.

I have just recently received my adaptor and so far it appears to be a quality product capable of living up to the other GOOD to GREAT reviews listed here. And dealing with Stephen was a great experience.

Using any antenna longer than the factory supplied antenna is certainly going to put strain on the tiny sma connection on your radio.

Having said that, it would appear that using appropriate care, Stephen’s adaptor is well worth the $14.00.