Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter Help

Reviews Summary for SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter
SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $11.95
Description: Adapter allows you to:
Quickly change your antennas to base, mobile or different style use. Use the more popular and wider selection available of BNC antennas. Prevent chassis connector wear or from coming loose due to having to change antennas
More info: http://www.wa3hrl.com/smabnc/

You can write your own review of the SMA to BNC Antenna Adapter.

WB4PAP Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2006 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Product! Great Support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted a SMA to BNC adapter for my Kenwood TH-D7. Contacted Stephan and got an immediate reply. He was very helpful and knowledgeable about his product and offered to ship the connector before he received my check. A honor service he performs for fellow Ham's. So I ask myself, how could some people make such negative comments about a $14.00 product?? The guy trusts his fellow Ham's with his product before he gets a check and while it clears. He maintains excellent contact with you during shipping and follows up to make sure you're happy with the product and to verify it's been recieved. I can't believe that this guy wouldn't make good on a damaged connector!! OK, so I got the connector, it didn't break in my hand, I screwed it on my radio and didn't have to send the radio back to Kenwood to get it fixed. I like it a lot better than the SMA connector on the radio and quite frankly, It's pretty well made!! I try to avoid dropping my hand held mostly due to the $300 replacement cost of the radio more-so than the $14 cost of the connector. So if it does it's job it's money well spent.

Tom

KPAX1 Rating: 2/5 Apr 9, 2006 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Fell apart in my hands!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sounded like a good idea so I sent this guy $14.00 for an SMA/BNC adapter with a rubber hose glued to it. Item would not screw down tight on radio. When trying to attach rubber duck it just spun around. Wound up pulling off rubber hose, scewing SMA to connector and installing my own rubber gasket. $14.00 for a $1.50 adapter! Well, live and learn.

K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2005 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Over 3 yrs of durable use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Steve's excellent and durable adapters have been in use on my three (3) Kenwood TH-F6A HTs for over three years. There's not been a single problem. And, they've not received any special care nor pampering.

They've been dropped, thrown around, installed on and switched between many other radios and antennas at radio club, ski patrol, and other meetings. I've even bought a couple extra for my Go bag. They've come in very handy during Ski Patrolling and excel at keeping snow and moisture out of the rig housing.

As fit for their intended purpose and design, they've allowed my SMA HT's to interface to every BNC antenna connector encountered and have provided excellent strain relief for the SMA atop the HTs. I've tried the bare adapters (i.e those without the strain relief provided by Steve's design) and I opted not to expose my HT's to the obvious risk of those shearing off.

Very 73,

Rob - AK9G
(Prev. K6RSG)

NH7L Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2005 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using one of these for a couple years on my Kenwood TH-G71A, which gets bounced around a lot and is used handheld, mobile and for travel. I've had no problems with it whatsoever.
The problem reported by some folks posting here -- the SMA pin on the transceiver breaking -- is a problem inherent with the SMA connector. That pin is the weakness, not the converter. That pin is subject to breaking regardless of whether you connect a stock rubber duckie to it or connect a sma/bnc converter. SMA just isn't the best connector to be sticking on top of an HT, period. Unfortunately, they're in common use, especially given how most manufacturers are focusing on making smaller HTs these days. Rather than complain here, you'd be better off sending something to your HT manufacturer, urging it to quit using the lousy little connectors. A BNC connector is superior for this use, and it's what your HT should have on it. The manufacturers chose small over larger and less attractive, even though the smaller alternative is junk. I like Steven's converter a lot. It's a good product. The glue on the rubber part of mine has given out, too. Hasn't been a problem. If it was, I'd apply rubber cement to the inside of the rubber.

KC0TKF Rating: 1/5 Nov 15, 2005 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Needs work!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well it worked OK until the glue broke loose then after a few antenna flexes, the SMA center pin broke in the FT60. So back to Yaesu it goes for a $65+ repair. Too bad all radios couldn't have mandatory BNC connectors or that the SMA could be field fixable (unscrew the bad SMA "capsule" and replace with a new "SMA capsule".) When I get the radio back I will engineer an SMA to BNC adapter with a flexiable BNC to SMA inter-connection to strain releive the SMA center pin stress.

W6NJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2004 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice fit and finish. Got one each for my VX5, FT-60R, and TH-F6a. All were the right length.

A great product. I really beg to differ with the reviews that suggest the normal adapters. Beside the fact that they look terrible, they don't stay tight or seal the radio, as Steve's do.

If you can't afford few more bucks for a nicer unit fine, but I do think this product is worth the extra $$$.

73, W6NJ

W5DCT Rating: 1/5 Jan 19, 2004 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Not all that great.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The adaptor works great.Until the adhesive breaks loose from the adaptor.Doesn't sound like much? Well when the center pin broke off in my FT50,it cost $65 to get it fixed. It is in my opinion most cost effective to use an SMA antenna and let everybody keep their "products". Not trying to be negative just honest.KD5JZN

KB8VPX Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2004 00:25 Send this review to a friend
Worth It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great and looks great on my Kenwood TH-F6A. Contrary to some statements, this adapter does provide a positive support for antenna applications and a better overall appearance than the other available adapters. I use Maldol AH antennas on my F6A, and unlike the standard adapter, this adapter does indeed help support them with a solid feel.

KJ4J Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2003 16:33 Send this review to a friend
one great adaptor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This adaptor from KC2BHO may be a little more expensive than most, but it is a quality item. It keeps my antenna rigid while providing a breakaway, to prevent damage, in case I drop my radio . I don't mind paying more for quality.

Stephen was a pleasure with which to deal. He shipped quickly even before he received my check. He even left follow up messages to assure satisfaction. I highly recommend Stephen and his product to anyone.

KC0ODY Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2003 19:26 Send this review to a friend
What a great product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my SMA/BNC adapter from Steve Gulyas today. That was FAST service, and the adapter itself makes my formerly-wobbly MFJ 1712 telescoping whip for my VX-5R really rock-solid. If you've got an HT and want a solid, stable base for your antennas, get one. You will not be sorry!