Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | NuMorse Professional Help

Reviews Summary for NuMorse Professional
NuMorse Professional Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $34.95
Description: CW Code Learning Program
More info: http://www.nu-ware.com/

You can write your own review of the NuMorse Professional.

KE5GZR Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first purchased NuMorse Pro back in 2007 and still use it to this day. Whether you want to learn CW, increase your speed or simply just have a lot of fun, this is the software for you. Great product!

KD5CE Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2007 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Just the best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It's been years since I have been active on CW, like 57'. I found that NuMorse was really fun when compared to the paper tapes I used to get my original novice.

Not on HF for 20+ years, I found within 30 days I felt confident to get on the air working CW. NuMorse is worth every penny if you want to learn the code and be proficient when you make your first QSO.

2RP789 Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2006 20:08 Send this review to a friend
If you want to learn CW, this is the software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used NuMorse Pro to learn CW in a matter of two months. Its easy to configure it anyway you need to help you learn - your way. I passed the element 1 morse code test with a perfect copy. Don't waste your time with freeware - this software is worth every penny - if you are serious and ready to learn code.

BIRDMAN Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2005 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Learned CW with it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it, practiced for 2 weeks and passed the 5wpm. It works.

KC9GGV Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2005 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the product if you want to pass the 5 word code requirement. It offers tons of practice and when you are ready it has 5 word per minute simulated QSOs to listen to. You can generate your own QSOs and listen to as many as you wish. The learning method is esssentially the Koch method. When you want to increase your speed an ability it produce practice with QSB and QRM to give you practice in real situations.

G4PGD Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2004 09:47 Send this review to a friend
The only complete solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Returning to Amateur Radio after a gap of 30 years I was keen to be ready with a good proficiency level at morse so that when the kit arrives I can get straight onto CW with confidence. Using other morse tutors random groups - my speed started to pick up but I was always conscious that it was not real world. There was a predictable word break every 5 characters and of course I was not trying to anticipate the endings of words. There was no QRM, QRN or QSB to deal with. I suspected that despite being able to copy random morse letters at a fairly high speed, with the extra workload of logging etc I would flounder. I will be operating as VP8 so expect also to be on the wrong end of the pileup !
Also being able to touch type I wanted a program that would automatically compare my keyboard input with what the program outputted. Going back through the text manually was tedious.

Then I found nu morse professional. The range of settings is extensive, both in terms of simulating real QSOs, adding QRM, QRN and QSB allowing keyboard copy (if you want), filters for groups of letters etc.

Initially I found I could copy at nowhere near the speed that I had been with the random groups. Simulated QSOs with noise really stretch me anticipating the ends of real words only to find that I was wrong threw me and forced me to concentrate harder. I have a weakness with punctuation, nu-morse allows me to set a filter to just selected punctuation to fix that problem.
Now my speed is steadily improving I can contantly raise the bar just enough to make progress. I run the logging program that I have selected (AALog) and log the simulated QSOs for practice.
I think this is the nearest thing that you can get to real-world morse from a computer program.
Im not sure how good/bad I will be when I start transmitting on air but I know I will be a lot better than I would have been without nu-morse.
Excellent !
73 G4PGD / VP8DHZ

ON4SKY Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2004 04:17 Send this review to a friend
To success your first steps in CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,

NuMorse Pro is very a complete and powerful utility to learn Morse code based on the famous Ludwig Koch's method (1930s).

The speed can be set up to 50 WPM.
NuMorse provides several windows displaying the concerned character to display, its mnemonic image, the list of characters sent, and in option additional windows showing the speed of the lesson, your score and other settings.

All the interest of NuMorse Pro is in its "First step" feature that helps you learning the Morse code progressively, at a rate that you fix yourself, beginning with easy letters like E, A, N, to end with the punctuation and other more complex prosigns. The second advantage, it can read external text files containing for example the text transmitted during a real QSO.

An advice : as soon as the first lesson, begin to set the speed at 5 WPM, not slower (selecting a code speed of characters of 13 WPM for example and stretching space between characters of 54%). You will see that it is not difficult to understand characters, all the less that they are regularly repeated in the respect of Koch's method.

In addition, I suggest you to replace all mnemonic images with their CW representation (see my website for detail). In the original version for example "A" sounding like "dit-dah" it displays the phrase "A jar" with the image of a jar. I have found that mixing the outlined letter with its code representation inside speeds up and improved learning.
If you want to test this method, I provide on my web a zip file containing 31 individual files created in bitmap format to copy in the "\NuMorseSource File" subdirectory (move or rename first the original files).

I make the bet that using NuMorse Pro, working only 15 minutes each day, in a month your know the Morse code, a first step to get your full privilege license or to seriously work DX stations in the CW segment of HF bands.

A demo is available. NuMorse requires a registration. The sound per session is time limited by a counter. After some weeks, this feature is disabled if you don't buy the license.

NuMorse professional runs on all Windows 32-bit plateforms equipped with a sound card.

Hope this help.

Thierry

KC5YIL Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2004 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Now called NuCode  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought it recently to get prepared for my return to the US where I can exercise my Ham license (lived in China the last 4 years).
Program is great and you learn fast.

Downloaded and bought the license, it is great for all levels. You set the characters, speed, follow program list or customize, etc. It gives feedback on weak characters and your progress. Uses Farnsworth/Koch method timing.

Doug

K5PU Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Full of Features  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I decided to jump back into CW after becoming somewhat bored with SSB/phone. When I first learned code (and a few times after that) I learned it via tapes and only at the required 5WPM to pass the test.

That is the wrong way as I was listening for each element (each dit & dah) to recognize the character instead of the characters overall *sound* or pattern.

So I decided to find a PC program that would allow me to increase my speed. NuMorse Pro fits the bill as (among many, many other useful tools) it enables dynamic speed changes based on correct/incorrect copy. It's so 'feature rich' that even after months I'm still finding new feaures designed to help me improve my code.

One thing I'm not sure about is you obviously have to use the PC keyboard to input copy. I'm concerned that I will become dependent on the keyboard instead of being able to 'hard copy'.

This is not a fault of NuMorse as ANY PC based code program that accepts/monitors input will (by definition) require use of a keyboard.

W3KBD Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2003 16:47 Send this review to a friend
One Step ahead of me at every turn!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I feel a little guilty not having written a review sooner.

I evaluated most of the code programs before settling on NuMorse Pro. Tony Lacy has written a thorough program, and provided above and beyond support and encouragement.

Tony's program was instrumental in passing the 5WPM for me. During my use of NuMorse Pro, I was impressed with the programs depth and I sent several questions and 'Boy wouldn't it be great if the program did this' emails to Tony. Each was answered very promptly, thoroughly, and patiently explaining to me how to find what I had wished for! He had already thought about it and provided it.

Tony has definitely taken a great deal of time to think of everything one might need, and a whole lot more.

NuMorse Pro ran without bugs, and the support was terrific. It was a pleasure paying the nominal fee for the program. I highly encourage anyone to support the focused efforts of developers like Tony.

Highly recommended.