Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Standard C156A Help

Reviews Summary for Standard C156A
Standard C156A Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $200
Description: 2m FM only HT.

You can write your own review of the Standard C156A.

F4FAP Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 14:07 Send this review to a friend
My favourite hand VHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very easy to use, slim, no useless functions, large buttons to turn and it has big digits to read.
Each time I need reliable short distance VHF, the 156 with AA cells is my choice with great pleasure.

KC4YJI Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Love IT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this one!!! This is the last radio I would ever sell. This has all the bells you could want. It is a great size, feels great in your hand. Has 100 memories, alpha numeric display, 5 watts. But the best thing about this is the fact that you can view the frequency and the name of the repeater at the same time. Why can't any of the major radio makers make one that will do this? I love this feature because I can program repeaters that are on the same frequency but on diffrent tones in; and then put the location on the display. This is great when I travel. This one thing alone is enough to keep me from selling it, not to mention that it is a great radio!

KC4CQS Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2010 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Need Batt. Case  Time owned: more than 12 months
This HT like other Standard Radio products are very good quality but you can't get batteries or the most importantly, battery cases that hold 4 AA cells. Fit and finish are excellent except for the flimsey battery case! Mine has crumbled. If anyone knows where one can be purchased in tact clean unbroken let me know. I have tried everywhere but no luck. 73.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2003 16:18 Send this review to a friend
A rare gem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got one of these to replace my Yaesu VX150. Don't get me wrong, the VX150 is a great radio. I sold it to get a dualbander, and the deal fell through on the dualbander, so picked up the Standard off of ebay for a good price. This is rather rare, as I think it was Standards last 2 meter HT before being bought out by Yaesu.

My first impression was what a classy looking HT this was. It is by far the nicest looking HT I have ever owned. Then you pick it up, and it feels solid and well built. Solid metal case, just the right size for my hand.

This HT has almost every feature of the VX150, minus battery voltage. That would be a nice feature, but one you can live without. It has dual watch, plenty of memories, CTCSS tone, scanning, searching, memory lockout, and a very easy to read LCD readout. The display is much larger than the VX150, and much easier to read. Also, it is easier to clear out a memory on this HT than any HT I have owned.

I have received great audio reports so far, and the HT also has great receiver audio, just not enough. I do alot of bicycle mobile work to and from the job, and the audio is just loud enough when turned full up. A little extra noise and the HT gets a little hard to hear. No problem hitting the repeaters with the 3 watts on this HT, and for a 600 mah battery, it has plenty of life. I guess Standard is known for that. The HT also passed the QST user test as I was able to get on the local repeater without using the manual.

Overall, I would give this HT a 4.5. It would be an easy five with a little more receiver audio, and a battery voltage display. I love the fit and feel, and appearance of this HT. Extra batteries are tough to find (glad I got 3 with mine), but Jun electronics (www.juns.com) does have extra battery packs on sale in their bargin blowout section.

I would recommend this HT to anyone, unless you need high power, or lots of receiver audio. It is a winner, and very nice to look at.

AD6YC Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2002 00:03 Send this review to a friend
Slim and solid urban repeater workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these about 5 years ago. The matrix alpha display is really nice...I can see the freq and name of the rptr at the same time. It's easy to dial in the name with the top knob into mem. The alpha display lets users keep track of the 20+ odd repeaters around town and there's still 80 more mems for the trips and other bands. The block mem scan feature is great...I set up groups of freqs by function (police, Wx, etc.) or by rptr geography and I can switch between them during a scan with one keypress.

Intermod performance is OK...not fabulous. Probably because it does Rx weather band and the 150+MHz bands nicely. No AM aircraft rcv though. I've been using NiMH in the AA pack for years...never go obsolete. If you use NiCd or NiMH the low batt indicator will always bo on...no big deal...you get used to when it quits after about a week of Rx. Then pull the cells out and recharge or replace. The slim case fits in your pocket like no Yaesu potato ever will. It is the "point-and-shoot camera" of HTs...easy to carry and therefore you use it more often. The tiny external DC connector is intermittent and will power cycle the rig if there is no pack installed and you wiggle it. The rubber cover for that DC flops open but not a big deal. Speaker is small and sounds it. Tx audio is reported to be good. Direct keypad freq entry rocks. I thought I would miss a squelch knob but I found I adjusted it very infrequently (squelch is a menu item on this rig). Plus a bunch of other little nice features.

Rx'ed some nice tropo action w/ an external antenna. Ext antenna lets this thing get out almost as good as my mobile rig.

If you see one used at a fest, consider that it has an aluminum back frame...real tough. And if it comes with the AA pack, you'll never be stuck like when your specialized custom pack goes bad. When someone can't get packs for their 10 year old Icomwoodsu anymore, I'll still be ragchewing on new AA NiMH.

If it had backlit keys it would literally be the perfect 2m radio. Too bad Yaesu bought 'em out and shut 'em down. I'll probably never sell mine.