Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley PRO 57-B Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley PRO 57-B
Mosley PRO 57-B Reviews: 17 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,089.95
Description: 7 el Yagi on a 24' boom
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com

You can write your own review of the Mosley PRO 57-B.

KS1S Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2009 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong after 18 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Mosley PRO-57B was delivered to me on July 8th, 1991. Since then it has sat on top of 70' of Rohn 25G, fed with Bury8 coax in a conduit. Nothing has been touched or changed since then.

The purchase price back then was $567.95, plus $41.63 for freight. Prices have gone up just a bit since then!

This antenna provides SWR's of less than 2:1 for me on all bands ... tuned for the phone portions of those bands. Front to back ratio is very good, side rejection is excellent, and gain appears to be competitive with the best multi-band yagis out there. This antenna is very ruggedly built.

I have witnessed several severe ice storms up here over the years that have taken down power lines, poles, and trees en masse. At one point the elements of this antenna were so encased in ice that they looked like wet noodles...they were drooping that much. I was sure I would see damage or breaks to the elements. In fact, as soon as the ice melted, the elements sprang right back and were all perfect.

In the years this Mosley has been up, it has seen temperatures of minus 50F, winds of hurricane force, torrential rain and lightning, and blistering heat. All this time it has been teamed to an Alpha 87A putting out 1500 watts of power. It has never given me the slightest problem.

Today, this antenna exhibits the same SWR curves as it did when new. Physically, it looks no different than it did when it was first installed. It's an amazing antenna and one which Mosley should be proud of. I just wish this company did more advertising so more hams would know what a superb antenna it really is.

Stan
KS1S

KA5SMA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2007 14:32 Send this review to a friend
So Far Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my Pro 57B up on 40ft. tower about 5 days ago. Appears that is was worth the 2 1/2 month wait. My SWR on all bands is right on specs, however on 12 meters it is better than advertised. Have not had a qso on 12 or 15 meters yet so this is a preliminary review.

I put the antenna together by myself and it took approximately 7 hours over a two day period.
Except for a problem with a U bolt and a little confusion about the color coding on white elements, everything went well. Great mechanically does not sag like my OB9-5 did. OB9-5 was great but very seldom got reports over S9..(should expect 2 element on 17 ft boom, vs 3 elements(on 20) on a 24 ft. boom.)

Only made one Front to Back test on 17 meters with QSB was about 20 db.., front to side is tremendous...stations said I dissapeared altogether..
The antenna is built like a tank, weighs almost 100 lbs compared to about 65 lb for the OB9-5.

Examples of reports in the first week:
Ohio- 59+20
Washington- 59+20
IL 59+40
MS- 59+40
EA5- 59+10
JA-59+10
I had two different unsolicited comments, one on 10 meters and the other on 17 meters, that I was "the strongest signal on the band".
I was running 1500 watts at the time...from my QTH about 40 miles northeast of Nashville, TN.
All of this at very bottom of sun spot cycle..
Not sure why there has not been a review of Mosley Pro 57B in over 3 years? I know they have sold hundreds of them since then.

We have been sold a "bill of goods" about supposedly "lousy" traps.

Good job Mosley

73 and good DX

Mike Miller KA5SMA

K9SV Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2004 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a freak Spring ice storm took down my 3 element Quad I decided to try something stronger to handle the nasty Midwestern Weather. I ordered the Pro57 from Gary at Dayton and put it atop my Rhon 25G tower at 60ft in September 1989. I have not had a problem with the Pro57 yet, 15 years and still a flat SWR curve on all bands. I am primarily a DXer and casual contester but also rag chewer. The overall performance of this antenna has been nothing but great. No regrets, I have never been disappointed with it. It handles the power from my Henry 3KD amp very well 1KW RTTY/CW no problem.
Drawbacks? None for me, not yet.

M0CEL Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2002 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've relocated to the UK from Toronto and after about 3 years following receipt of the antenna it's finally up and running on a 12 meter tower.

The performance is very impressive and the build quality outstanding. Low SWR's as advertised. It weighs in at about 90 lbs, which gives some indication of the heavy duty materials used. This is certainly going to be up for the long haul.

The only caution I would give to anyone contemplating ordering from Mosely is that the lead time, at least in my case, was in the order of a few months. Having said that, I have to say that the end result is worth the waiting.

K4RO Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2002 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Works well at this QTH  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is actually a review of the PRO-57A. Two of them, in fact.
I started with my first PRO-57A in 1991 at a location about 20 miles
south of here. It was at 80 feet, and it was my first HF yagi. I was
amazed at the performance, but band conditions were great, and it
was after all my first yagi. A year later, the antenna system was moved
to it's present location, now atop 100 feet of Rohn 25. The new
location is a ridgetop with wind gusts exceeding 50 MPH measured
at 30 feet. I don't know what the winds are at 100 feet, but the antenna
has survived ice storms and winds which have ripped shingles and
siding off of the house. This is a very rugged and solidly designed antenna.

I bought a second PRO-57-A (used) in 1998 and I installed it on a TIC
ring rotator at 60 feet, forty feet below the top yagi. Sometime around this
period, the tribander shootout report from N0AX and K7LXC was released,
indicating that the PRO-57 antenna was actually WORSE than a dipole
on some bands, and not much better on others. While I have taken some
ridicule from my fellow contesters following that report, the results speak
for themselves. The antennas hold their own against similarly equipped
tribander-stack stations in my geographic area. While I don't doubt that
Ward and Steve carried out their experiments carefully, my experience with
these antennas has been quite positive.

I have no way to measure gain, but the front-to-back seems comparable
with N4ZZ's stack of TH-7's at similar heights. The pattern seems fairly
clean and uniform. My antennas are in the clear, and the guy wires are all
Phillystran. The antennas have performed flawlessly since the day they
were installed. The only balun I use is a half-dozen #43 ferrite beads
over the coax at the feedpoint.

My budget doesn't allow me to put up a pair of the latest and greatest
tribander designs, and it's possible that I simply do not know what I am
missing. Perhaps these old trapped designs are "negative gain" and I
just don't know any better due to lack of direct comparison. Another possibility
is that the B and C models improved the WARC bands at the expense of 20-15-10?
The bottom line is that I seem to be able to hear and work what most of the
competitive contesters in my area are working, and I can hold my own on 20,
15 and 10 in DX contests and pileups from here. Needless to say, I am in the
top of the pileups on 12 and 17 meters.

In summary, I think the PRO-57-A is a very rugged antenna, with performance
which seems comparable to other large tribanders in its class, published reports
notwithstanding. For a great bonus, you can tune the boom of this antenna and use
it as a very effective radiator on 40 or 30 meters. For more details, have a look at:
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/pix/40boom.html .

N9NUP Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2000 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Totally Satisfied!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all,I didn't purchase the antenna new. The original owner wasn't real happy with it but I discovered the traps in the reflector had been reversed! (Could cause SWR problems). But I had used the Mosley Classic 33 and had been extremly pleased with it-this one had to work better.

Just a short comment on the Classic 33 (also purchased used).After purchasing new coax and connecting it to the antenna, I discovered the SWR was out of site. I was MAD and called Mosely to explain the situation. After giving them my SWR readings they told me calmly that my coax was bad. I told them it was brand new coax and it couldnt be that! To appease them and show them how wrong they were I checked it out. Turned out my PL 259 had a bad solder connection and I had only myself to blame. After putting on a new PL 259 the SWR curves were great! Better than claimed!

Well I put up the Pro 57B but could'nt do it myself. Its fairly heavy but maybe thats why they last so long. The first day I had it up I heard China for the very first time and worked them on 100 watts SSB! Its been outstanding and only wish I had a bigger lot to put up a Mosely Pro 96S

The forward gain is outstanding and if you follow directions assembly is a snap. If you buy used antennas like I did the color coding disappears after the clean up process. To make absolutely sure I had the traps where they belonged I called Mosley again and they sent detailed instructions to me.

I know your not suppose to like these antennas because of the "lossy" traps but the performance indicates that I or "you" have nothing to be worried about.

Their service is also top notch and they carry a large inventory of parts. You wont be disappointed with this antenna! Hope to hear you on the bands with your "new one".

WL7M Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 1999 15:59 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent 5-band antenna - great value!  Time owned: unknown months
After searching for a five band beam antenna with optimal performance, lowest weight, and commensurate cost, I selected the Mosley Pro 57B. Having owned a TH7DX, it was my first inclination to go to back to Hygain. The Mosley was an excellent choice! The performance is excellent, with great gain and F/B ratios on all bands. I'm using a Rohn 25G with a Yaesu G1000 SDX rotator (a great rotator, by the way - love the "preset" feature!) and the Martin Engineering Hazer system (a great way to work on an antenna without climbing a tower!) In all, a great setup!

The Pro 57B goes together very easily. Everything is color coded and machining was done well, with very few burrs to be cleaned up. There are three assembly options you may select, using pre-drilled holes, for operating in various parts of the bands. I selected the middle part of each band.

From the first minute I put the antenna in the air, the SWR curves met or exceeded the manufacturer's stated numbers. I've been very impressed with the performance after some casual DXing, rag chews, and two contests.

The antenna is built to take the harsh Arctic environment here in Alaska. It is expandable to cover other bands (30/40 meters) in the future, should you wish. I'm very happy with the antenna. Great value for the money!!