Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Radio Shack Racing Headphones (330-1198) Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Racing Headphones (330-1198)
Radio Shack Racing Headphones (330-1198) Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$49.99
Description: High Noise Environment Communications Headphones (Mono).

Ideal for a day at the races, you can hear your scanner over the roar of the crowd through these closed-cup headphones.

The comfortable ear cups conform to your ears for maximum isolation.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=33%2D1198

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Racing Headphones (330-1198).

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2008 10:14 Send this review to a friend
K4ZNC  Time owned: months
This pair of RS headphones have served me well over the past 5 or so years. Given the price, absolutely no complaints. All of the components that make up this headset are operative - no deterioration of rubber reinforcement, ear cushions, etc. I keep wanting to buy another set of headphones, but cant't justify the expense.

John K4ZNC

NT4XT Rating: 0/5 Aug 31, 2005 10:07 Send this review to a friend
No comment.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Based on reviews here I went for it.
In less than 3 months the left driver blew.
I was surfing, monitoring a clear 40m freq.,
RF/AF gain set at lower levels...and I could here the sound in my left ear start to crackle and sound distorted. I was listening to normal summer 40m QRN, and was present to hear it die.
I paid the full price about 60 bux including shipping. These have been discontinued.
You can't even remove the internals, there are no screws holding anything together, seems all snapped and glued. So I couldn't even use the as new shell with my own installed speakers.
I called Radio Shack and got what I expected, even if they were not discontinued, it's past 30 days... I got the 8 ohm mono lightweight headphones and they seem to work better (only reason I got THOSE, was my Mom gave me a Radio Shack gift certificate). But those offer little to almost no, external noise attenuation. That's why I went with these in the first place, it gets loud in the basement under the living room when the kids are watching videos, dancing and jumping above me. I'd give it a 1, but I did receive no where near my money's worth. I highly unrecommend anything from Radio Shack now, unless it's on sale so cheap that if whatever it is craps out in 2 months you won't be disappointed.

KB6NU Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2005 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Good, but you get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a pair nearly three years ago, and while they do a nice job, I just noticed that the insulation has come apart where the cable meets the strain relief. It's only a matter of time before one of the wires breaks.

That would be so bad, but it doesn't look like you can take apart the ear piece to fix it. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to chuck these headphones when the wire breaks.

K5PU Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2004 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Lotsa 'Bang for the Buck'  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used/abused these headphones for over a year and they just keep on tickin...

Yep, they really do fit TOO snug at first and feel like gonna pop your head like a pimple. Just gradually 'force' spread em open, starting in the middle and working down toward the earcups. They tend to spring back at first but soon you'll find a comfortable fitting. I can wear mine for hours now.

And oh yea, for CW they sound really good too!

KJ6RA Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2003 23:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews here on eham, I decided to buy me a pair. The local dealer here did not have them in stock but was more than happy to order them for me. They arrived in about 10 days. I have been very impressed with the comfort and sound. They do block out the room noise and are comfortable to wear.

N0DZJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2003 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for comfortable, good-sounding headphones at a reasonable price. The Radio Shack 1198 is all of these and more.

I was tired of replacing cheaper stereo type phones, and although I have an older upscale stereo headphone, it was not especially comfortable after long use. The 1198 is very comfortable when adjusted properly, and I found it will present both CW and SSB audio cleanly and does significanly reduce external noise. And mechanically, seems to be very well constructed. They perform as advertised, and the reviews confirm this.

These phones were not stocked locally, and may be difficult to find. I found mine about a thirty minute drive away (local dealer could only find two units within an hour drive) and tried them for myself before purchasing. I rate them a five, and recommend them as a very good balance of price and performance.

AD4OZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2003 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Best Deal on Communication Headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to try these headphones after reading the reviews here. These headphones are great. They do fit snugly, but if they didn’t, they wouldn’t work so well at sealing out external noise. I have worn these headphones for several hours at a time and they are quite comfortable. These are high quality headphones and are an excellent value. Picked mine up for $39.95 ($10 off).

W1ID Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2002 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Grreat product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a long search for a good communications type set of headphones, I found just what I was looking for. Seals out room noise, and not high fidelity so it is well suited to the task. A bit tight on the ears but you can exercise the headband a little to fix the problem. The only criticism is the cord is a bit too short and not as flexible as I would like but that doesn't affect performance and can be remedied with a short extension. A very good product from an unexpected source.

KB4BJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2002 08:32 Send this review to a friend
cw friendly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't give a long segment. These are nice and I recommend to all. Thanks!

N0RUT Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2002 15:09 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ditto all the great comments! I've been using these for about a week now. Slipping them on is like walking into a vacuum. You don't hear ANYTHING except what's coming through the radio. It's great to be able to close out the world around you and completely focus on the signals. They are snug, but after an hour a half I was fine, no head ache or sore ears.

I'm in Minneapolis/St. Paul metro. I went to the local Shack store and they didn't have them. He checked the computer and the closest store that had a pair was about 100 miles away. The manager of the store said it looked like no one was re-stocking- possible discontinue. Jump on these while you can. I ended up ordering online.

Well worth the money spent.