Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond CR627B mobile antenna 6m/2m/70cm Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CR627B mobile antenna 6m/2m/70cm
Diamond CR627B mobile antenna 6m/2m/70cm Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $109.99
Description: Diamond CR627B mobile antenna, covers 6m/2m/70cm, UHF mount (CR627B) or NMO Mount (CR627BNMO). Rated 2.15/4.5/7.2 dB gain for 6m/2m/70cm respectively. 60" total length, black finish, 150 watts total capacity. Factory adjusted.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/index.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CR627B mobile antenna 6m/2m/70cm.

W9VER Rating: 2/5 Sep 13, 2011 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Do not like the NMO version!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
the NMO version of this antenna (CR627NMO) is a BEAST, VERY stiff and hardy!!

In fact that is the main problem! I mounted this antenna on a NMO mount that was permanently mounted on my trunk. The NMO mount(good quality Larsen) kept loosening up! I could not keep that mount tight, without over tightening. I did that a little bit, and it STILL loosened up, also noticed flexing of the Trunk lid.

This antenna was just TOO BIG for my trunk, and I bet it would not work on the roof either. Not sure about the UHF version, but the NMO version is too heavy for the NMO mounts, serious reinforcement or a special bracket to hold your NMO to keep it together!

Another negative is how the antenna screws onto the NMO.... it just screws on, the antenna threads is all that keep out the weather! No o-rings, no washers, nothing. I guess you just screw the antenna onto the NMO mount until the antenna touches(and scratches) your car paint?

I hope the UHF version is better, now I've taken off the CR627nmo and it's sitting in the garage, replaced with a Larsen 2/440, that should tell you something.

As for performance, it was good, no problems. The tilt over feature worked and I really did not use it that much. Quality made in Japan, but I was not happy with this design.

KJ6AIW Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2009 17:24 Send this review to a friend
The perfect match to your tri band HT mobile. BE HEARD!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is very well built, has shown me flat swr's under 1.5 on all bands (fm) and is a really good performer. Ive had base station antennas that cant outperform this mobile. Plus it folds! for a long time I had it mounted with a clamp-on-lip mount on the third door of my truck which worked GREAT, but is a very poor strength mount. The antenna height was overwhelming with the low trees ive got in my area. So I drilled a couple holes in my truck bed side and modified the mount I was using and bolted it on with a couple 1/4-20s and the thing works flawlessly. I know its rated at 150 watts, but ive driven it with 160w fm out of my 2 meter amp and not burned it up. Its also used with 100w ssb 6m and works extremely well for 25w carrier am 6m. The tuner on my ft897d helps the 6m swr for non-fm applications. But where it really shines is in the way it helps my little yaesu vx8r. With just 5 watts it is a wimp for a mobile, but this antenna really made the difference. I can actually hold a productive 6m qso with an ht?!!!!!

I got mine in the open box section in my local hro for under 90 bux. I would buy this antenna again if it were $150.

KT1G Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2006 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(uhf Mount)
Mounted on a stainless steel fender mount (Under hood) on my Dodge. Ran Ground Strap, Bonded Hood, fenders, and finally to frame (have atas120 on opposite side of truck)
Works great!! on 6 2 70cm.
Analyzer (hf-vhf only model)
52.5 1.3 swr
146 1.2 swr

Rig is FT-8900
Improvement over my other dualbander antennas.

Nice to have 6 meters as well
6 meter simplex range (mobile to mobile) seems good.

KB9VMW Rating: 3/5 Apr 18, 2006 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Good performer, some physical problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm satisfied with the performance, it works well with my FM tri-bander Kenwood 742. I have compensated for its length by mounting it at the back of the hood on my Chevy S-10. That is a more central location than a hitch mount, which would also be more "shadowed" by the body.(Fiberglass cap on the bed prevents a stake mount.)
The fold-over joint can be a weak point. I believe Diamond claims it is rated to 70 mph, but winds can make the air speed at the antenna much higher than that. With a head- or crosswind over 20 mph and roadspeed of 65-70, I have many times seen the antenna pull upward at the fold-over. It has never folded over from this, but it can lift nearly a half inch and float there at about a 10 degree angle. This is a bit unsettling to watch.
The other problem was caused when a small bird hit the antenna near its center, at about 65 mph. The CR627 was over 2 yrs old at that time. About 1 yr later, the lower connecting section broke. I have splinted the break, and it still works fine.

G4WUH Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2006 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Well made & High Gain, Well done Diamond  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these aerials, the first i bought about 6 years ago & have worked North America on 6M, many times from the UK.
On 2M/70CM it is excellent & gives those extra few dB gain needed under mobile situations.
I have hit many a tree with this aerial, at high speed & can agree , that the mount needs to be strong, as the aerial will break last. (Mine was driven through a multistory car-park, on top of my Jeep, bent several times & after straitening, it works the same as before.
I am very impressed by this aerial & given a good mount, can highly recommend it.)

N2OBS Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2005 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Gotta becareful when cleaning your vehicle at the local wash. A couple weeks ago i cracked my lower assembly coil causing my mobile antenna for aprs/echolink to use a single 2 meter fm antenna temporary. Just last night, december 22 2005 i received my replacement whip assembly and i am happy to be back using the entire spectrum in my vehicle. Very good receive as well as transmit, also very rigid when traveling at high speed traveling.

KG6OPR Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2004 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Long Stick!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed mine with a Comet Duplexer on a FT-857. Loads up nice, Great ears. Its tall that for sure 8'3" on my car. I recomend Diamond Antennas to all. Just got off the air to Pismo Beach on SSB on 6 from Bakersfield.

WX6EAS Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2003 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Solid Construction... Not A Solid Performer (at least for me)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The other reviewers weren't kidding when they said this antenna is BIG. I am very pleased with the construction as it is extremely solid. This strength is almost a concern - if you do hit something with it, the antenna will be fine, but your vehicle will need some work.

I am not as pleased with the performance. I wanted a tri-bander covering 6m/2m/70cm so I could get more use out of my FT-8900. Perhaps my vehicle configuration is to blame (antenna on lip mount on rear hatch of suv) for its lacking performance. Yes, I did have it properly grounded to my vehicle body. I could get an SWR = 1.5 at 146 +/- 800 kHz. Everything else in that band was closer to 2+. 70cm was similar, SWR 1.5~2+ centered on 446 MHz with a bandwidth of ~3.5 MHz. The best I could achieve on 6m was SWR = 2.3. (All SWR measurements were taken with a Diamond SX-600).

This antenna was to replace a Comet SBB-5 (2m/70cm) which obtained an SWR of 1.1~1.4 across the entire 2m and 70cm (440-450) bands mounted in the same place. I then compared these antennas with respect to their receive sensitivity. The SBB-5 would consistently provide 1-2 S-units better reception on weak signals in the 2m/70cm amateur bands. I found this odd since the CR627B is supposed to have ~1.5dB higher gain than the SBB-5 (2.15/4.5/7.2 vs. na/3.0/5.5). The CR627B did have a significant edge in the 6m band receive.

I really wanted to love the CR627B, but it’s not right for me. At 60” tall, it puts my vehicles vertical clearance to nearly 11 feet (as opposed to the 37” SBB-5 @ 9’). If you have the headspace and can mount this antenna on the center of you roof, it could have lots of potential. Good Luck!

KC0ARF Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2002 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Monster Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a Monster antenna great for 2m, 6m, and 440 work! This is the only antenna that will tune properly for my Dodge Ram truck for 50 - 54 Mhz, although the unit doesn't claim to cover the entire band (a lot of 6m antennas either work great for SSB or FM, but not both).

This antenna is quite stiff.... if you hit a tree with it, you are going to pull your roof out. Do not even think of trying to use a mag mount.

Also note that the antenna does not do well as an HF antenna... I have mine attached to the Yaesu FT100D, and while the 6m works great, you can really tell that below 6m, such as 10m or Shortwave areas, the antenna is quite deaf.

But for where it is advertised to transmit, very awesome.

KG4OZL Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2002 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Tri-band mobile antenna with amazing performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is simply a very large tri-band mobile antenna that is unequaled in performance. I can work 70cm repeaters beyond 40 miles with an Icom IC-2800H and this antenna (I use the CR627BNMO.) 2M performance is excellent as well. I have had little opportunity to test 6M performance. Currently, I only have a 6M HT to connect to it, but with that it seems to do well. Recently on the way back from hamfest, I was able to talk with a buddy 6 miles behind me who was inside a car talking on a 300mw Alinco HT on 70cm. Like I say, this antenna is no joke! Funny thing, I have a smaller dual band Maxrad antenna that I sometimes use while I am in the city and it seems that the Diamond (even at three times the size and gain) gets far less intermod on 2m and 70cm - a big plus with that radio in a urban area! My only gripe about this antenna is its size. It produces quite a bit of wind load and does not clear many drive-thrus. Beware - this antenna is 5 feet long. Even on my VW GTI, this translates to 9'6" minimum clearance! It does fold over for parking in your garage / carport, though. You will probably need to engineer some sort of reinforcement underneath your roof if you mount it there. A long threaded NMO mount through a piece of 3/16" plate steel on the inside side of your roof does the trick. But hey, it is the size that makes it work so well! All said, I'm glad that I chose this antenna for my mobile! It is worth every penny of the $100 I paid for it. If you have the clearance, I highly recommend it.