Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Transel THF mobile antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Transel THF mobile antennas
Transel THF mobile antennas Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $17.95
Description: The HF mobile series are heavy-duty, slim line construction, designed for the HF Amateur Bands, 75M, 40M, 20M, 15M, and 10M. Heavy gauge copper wire wound on 3/8" fiberglass, with nickel-chrome brass fittings and 17-7 taper ground S.S. whips assure dependable mobile operation. The 4' S.S. whip is field tunable for lowest VSWR and double locked with S.S. set screws. The antenna features 3/8-24 ferrule to fit standard mobile mounts. Power-rated at 250 watts P.E.P. for top mobile performance. Approx. 8' length
More info: http://www.transeltech.com/

You can write your own review of the Transel THF mobile antennas.

W4FID Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2009 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Work very well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several of them (40 - 30 - 20 - 15 - 10) and all work well. They are on a multi mag frame on the roof of a full size pick-up. I use a quick disconnect and swap bands whenever I stop for cofee, etc and find HF mobile with them is very good. I like the "pop it on and go" strategy for band change Vs "tune while you drive" with a screwdriver that is either distracting on another couple C-bucks for auto-tune stuff. I use a small spring -- they will "tonk" tree limbs and an occasional canopy -- and I spent the time to trim/tune them so they are resonant where I want to operate. That took about half an hour each (one time) when I got them several years ago. The 40 meter one will cover the entire general SSB band at less that 2:1 which is good. I check into nets on 40 and 20 easily and worked lots of DX on 15 during the last cycle.

At that price (Vs about 4 C-bucks for a screwdriver) after several years if one does break I will buy another and feel it was easily worth it.

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2009 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Work fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Transel 10 through 75 meter mobile antennas for the past several years and have had no issues.

W9ZB Rating: 3/5 Oct 19, 2008 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Repair Hint  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have Transel THF antennas for several bands, and have had a problem that I am finding is common with them. The coil is attached at each end to the threaded metal end pieces of the fiberglass rod by a small amount of solder. There is a hole drilled in the metal, but the metal is plated brass, and the solder has only a small area in the hole (the thickness of the hollow metal end piece) that is unplated by the drilling to stick to. It does not stay well connected long under the flexing of mobile use. My fix is to cut the plastic sheath away from the soldered connection and file or grind the plating away from around the solder hole, and resolder with a high wattage soldering iron and plenty of solder. Then re-cover the connections with shirnkable tubing, or good weather proof tape. The results for me have been very good. World Radio Magazine rated the "stick" type antennas better than the "screw driver" type on one testing session.

WM5R Rating: 0/5 Feb 20, 2002 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased two Transel "stick" style antennas for mobile operation using a tri-mag mount on the trunk of my car. I should have realized what I was in for when they arrived. The copper wire on both antennas was exposed in several places through the shrink wrap that was supposed to cover it. I fixed that problem with some excellent electrical tape, and was able to tune both up for my range of operating interest on their respective bands (20 and 15 meters.) The threading where the whip attaches to the coil portion of the 20 meter stick, though, was poor, and it takes some considerable effort to get the two parts fully coupled.

Less than a year later, both sticks have broken in several places internally. I believe this is mostly from the simple vibrations of normal driving - my Pro-Am brand "stick" antenna for 10 meters (which sees much more use than either the 15 or 20 meter sticks) has none of the problems that the Transel brand sticks have developed.

I do not intend to ever purchase another Transel product.